Start by marking “Los Tres Cerditos = The Three Pigs” as Want to Read:
Los Tres Cerditos = The Three Pigs

Los Tres Cerditos = The Three Pigs

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  16,780 Ratings  ·  1,808 Reviews
In this book the classic Three Little Pigs fairytale is retold with a brand new twist. Instead of being eaten, the pigs escape, take their book apart to confuse and keep the wolf away, build a paper airplane and fly off on a fairy tale adventure of their own. Children's imaginations will soar with Wiesner's wonderful illustrations.
Published May 1st 2003 by Editorial Juventud (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Los Tres Cerditos = The Three Pigs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Los Tres Cerditos = The Three Pigs

Lisa Vegan
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those familiar with the fairy tales mentioned in the book & can enjoy alternate versions
Recommended to Lisa by: Miriam
This was my sixth Wiesner book and given that I assigned 5 stars to 4 and 3 stars to 1 of the previous five books, I guess I can say that this isn’t one of my favorite books by him.

As I was reading, I missed the originality of his other books. Yes, this is a humorous and vastly changed version of the Three Little Pigs fairy tale. I liked it but wasn’t that impressed until I got to the last several pages and then I decided that I did really like this. It’s a very creative and imaginative way to
Mischenko
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Three Pigs by David Weisner is a cute story that starts out like the traditional Three Pigs story, but then unexpectedly changes into something much different. The pigs are able to jump in and out of other fairy tales. It's such a unique twist on the original.

The illustrations are cute, detailed, and the story has a great ending. We really enjoyed it.

4****
Ronyell
pigs

“The Three Pigs” is a children’s book written by David Wiesner, author of the famous book “Tuesday.” “The Three Pigs” is about how the three pigs basically come out of the story and their adventures in the real world. This book is the winner of the Caldecott Medal and is surely to send kids rolling over with laughter.

David Wiesner’s writing is smart and creative, but it is his illustrations that take center stage here. At first, the three pigs are drawn in regular two-dimensional storybook char
Manybooks
David Wiesner's The Three Pigs is very much fun and in many ways appears as simply and utterly brilliant (I just so much love the both sly and in your face cultural and literary intertextuality and that the three pigs basically manage to escape from their adversary, the eponymous big bad wolf, by means of meta-fiction, by being blown right out of their story into other tales, and different types of accompanying illustrations). But all that being said, and even though I know that this is basicall ...more
Cheryl
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shame on me for never reading this before! I suppose I may not have appreciated it when my kids were small, because it doesn't really work as a sharing or read-aloud book. But for what it is, it's wonderful. And pioneering, I believe.

I love the use of white space. I love the self-promotional gallery walls showing scenes from Wiesner's other books. I love the dragon. But... I do feel sorry for the wolf.
Noelle Jensen, Age 5
What the heck? WHAT THE HECK! Oh, my goodness.
I WILL NOT WEAR CLOTHES UNTIL YOU READ IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melki
The famous three little pigs escape the huffing-puffing wolf AND the bounds of their pages and go a-roaming through other children's books. Clever concept, and artwork to die for! A fun and very cute time should be had by all.
Doree Burt
2002 Caldecott Medal. Ummmm. What the!?! The art is coolish, but the lame story (or lack of story)...Are you kidding me? This reminds me of one of those Saturday Night Live skits where you sit there puzzled while those who created it are high-fiving themselves and chuckling.
Charly
I was very reserved to engage with this book to begin with - wouldn't have chosen to read it if I wasn't made to! But so glad I did; it has changed my entire view on picturebooks as I have experienced how the pictures can tell a different story to the text. I love the alternative world of the pigs stepping out of the story and changing things.

{Session notes whilst reading:}

Front cover image:
-different coloured eyes, different skin colours
-direct eye contact and smiles - creepy, makes you feel u
Janice
On the front cover of this Caldecott winner, the suggestions are made that the story of the Three Little Pigs is told over and over, but always with the same outcomes. And then the questions are asked, who's in charge of the story, who gets to decide what happens, and has anyone asked the pigs? And so the author proceeds to give us a story that might portray just what the pigs would want to see happen. This delightful story is creative, and the illustrations are wonderful. I especially liked the ...more
Jordan Wheeler
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is impossible to read out loud, as the text doesn't go from left to right or in a linear timeline. It would be much more suited to guided reading, especially if each child has their own copy. Perhaps stop after each page and talk. It requires lots of intertextual thinking based on traditional tales, and relies on the storytelling tropes they use. It's incredibly inventive and fun.
Jessica
The Three Pigs is a twist on the longtime childhood story, The Three Little Pigs. I admit, I expected the book to be a similar version of the tale that I remember hearing as a child. This story completely took me by surprise when the wolf “…huffed, and he puffed, and he blew the house in…and ate the pig up.” Soon after, the pigs were wandering around on the page, separate from the framed illustrations. Before I knew it, the pigs were flying on a paper airplane they made from the pages of the ori ...more
Kwtay Calvin
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-pb
The book, The Three Pigs, begins as the classic tale we all have grown to know with three Pigs that set off to build houses of their own. The first Pig made his house of straw, and the next Pig made his house sticks, and the last Pig made his house of brick. The Wolf came and blew the straw house down and ate the pig, then he blew the stick house down and ate the pig. Just when you think you know what’s going to happen next the story takes a surprising turn. The Pigs leave the story! They find t ...more
Christina Taylor
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Wiesner’s postmodern picturebook is a metafictive reimagining of the classic fairytale which employs water color, gouache, colored inks, pencil, and colored pencil on Fabriano hot press paper to raucously depict the three little pigs in a cartoon style while they remain in their own story. However, in the course of eluding the big bad wolf’s attacks they manage to not only survive but also break the frames of their own story, explore its gutters, and break into the frames that encase the stories ...more
Erin
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 520-picturebook
David Wiesner's edition of The Three Pigs is clever and unexpected. It begins by following the traditional fairy tale, with the wolf knocking on each pig's door and threatening to blow their house in. However, each pig cleverly escapes the wrath of the wolf by exiting the story itself. Structured like a graphic novel in some ways, the traditional tale is interrupted with speech bubbles and side conversations in which the pigs manipulate the pages of the story.

The three pigs find their way into
Anna Laskownicka
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is definitely a fresh viewpoint on the story of the classical 'Three Little Pigs'. What makes this book unique is the deconstruction of the plot, and the bravery of pigs who decided to take matters into their own hands.

I really like the idea of pigs flying away on the paper airplane made of the pages of their own story. In this way they outwitted the wolf, who needed to put more effort in finding them. The double spread white pages with pigs sitting on the airplane give the impression of fr
Dolly
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love David Wiesner's books and though this one actually has some words, it still has the same crazy, mind-blowing illustrations we've come to expect from his wordless books.

It's a fun take on the well-told tale of "The Three Little Pigs." We really enjoyed reading this book together and I think it was certainly worthy of it's Caldecott Medal.

This book was selected as one of the books for the January 2017- Caldecott Medal Winners 1998-2002 discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Child
Kaethe
Wiesner is amazing, and this is my favorite. The hyper-realism, the three-Dimensionality, makes the text so much more meaningful. Both kids have always loved these, and we none of us show any signs of getting tired of his work.
Miriam
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: picture
In this highly imaginate and artistic twist on the Three Little Pigs, the pigs flee the wolf and escape off the edge of the illustrations into other stories.

I thought this book was awesome, but the little kids I read it to (ages 3-4) didn't really get the concept.
ABC
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Imaginative book. Difficult to read out loud~~it's not really meant for that.
Robyn Lipscombe
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

The Three Little Pigs (Wiesner 2001)

The picture book we selected was ‘The Three Little Pigs’. We chose this particular book as it is critically acclaimed and we felt among the variety of his books, this one had a certain edge to it that we both liked. “The Three Pigs” is about three pigs that are blown out of the pages of their original story and embark on adventures in different settings, as if they are flying and crashing from story to story. Wiesner’s illustrations that take centre stage here
Trevor Harcrow
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Three Pigs is a fascinating twist on an old classic that most of us grew up with. Just like regular fashion, the wolf is hunting down the pigs in order to eat them. However, when the wolf tries to blow down the pig's house, they escape into a mystical world. This is composed of other classic nursery rhymes, and the piggies eventually form new relationships with the characters of those stories.

This book is a great example of postmodernism. We see the age old story break from the norm, and eve
Kaitlin Ronan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellen Chard
Shelves: ks2
This book shows an interesting perspective on the traditional fairy tale. We gain a better perspective on the wolf's frame of mind instead of the pigs: introducing the wolf as a clumsy/lonely character instead of the viscous creature that has previously been interpreted. The book shows some good examples of a great picture book, using the framing to give depth to the book.

I would recommend to use this book in a classroom with older children as it have some concepts which are perfect for discuss
Emma Hamilton
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks2
Post modern book which challenges the idea of the traditional three little pigs. Really interesting to look at with children in relation to picture book codes as the little pigs take the story apart including the picture frames and then reconstruct it to suit them. They even take away the words and reconstruc them to create an ending which they want.

Really interesting and would create a good discussion with children.
Claire Holloway
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, particularly how it changed the original version of the story. I liked how this book broke the fourth wall when the pigs moved from their 'story' into the white space and with that became more realistic. This is a good book to introduce to children to show them that stories do not always have to stay the same and that they can write their own different version. I would recommend this book.
Sarah Smith
Quite liked this book, surprisingly. I enjoyed that it challenged our perceptions of what is a traditional tale. I feel I definitely need to read more of these post-modern picture books in order to get used to the picture-plane challenges.
Helen Taylor
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 01-picture-books
Great play on traditional picture books and familiar stories
Alison
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, takes the rules, screws them up and makes something new out of them!!
Gemma Ford
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very clever post modern picture book!
  • My Friend Rabbit
  • Black and White
  • So You Want to Be President?
  • Snowflake Bentley
  • A Ball for Daisy
  • The Hello, Goodbye Window
  • Kitten's First Full Moon
  • Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors
During David Wiesner's formative years, the last images he saw before closing his eyes at night were the books, rockets, elephant heads, clocks, and magnifying glasses that decorated the wallpaper of his room. Perhaps it was this decor which awakened his creativity and gave it the dreamlike, imaginative quality so often found in his work.

As a child growing up in suburban New Jersey, Wiesner re-cre
More about David Wiesner...