Start by marking “Night School (Night School, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night School (Night School, #1)

Night School

(Night School #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  15,315 ratings  ·  1,558 reviews
Allie Sheridan’s world is falling apart. Her brother’s run away from home. Her parents ignore her. And she’s just been arrested.

Again.

This time her parents have had enough. They cut her off from her friends and send her away to boarding school, far from her London friends.

But at Cimmeria Academy, Allie is soon caught up in the strange activities of a secret group of elite
Published January 1st 2012 by Atom

To ask other readers questions about Night School, please sign up.
C.J. Daugherty Sadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights.…moreSadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights. Cimmeria is the boarding school I wish I'd gone to! (less)
C.J. Daugherty Sadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights.…moreSadly, no. But Cimmeria's appearance is based on a couple of real boarding schools in England, including one, in particular, called Frensham Heights. (less)

·  15,315 ratings  ·  1,558 reviews

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I always enjoy boarding school books (unless they’re contemporary, in which case I tend to run away screaming), and I’d hoped Night School would be a fine addition to the group, or in the best case scenario, that it would stand out in some way. Sadly, it’s not special at all, and it’s not even paranormal like I’d expected. It has the structure and the tropes of a paranormal YA novel, but no paranormal elements whatsoever. Consider yourselves warned.

Allie is a very troubled teen. After her older
~Tina~
Yup, this is definitely a Tina book!!!

Since the Harry Potter days, I've always loved boarding school books. So as soon as I saw this book, I've wanted to read it, I'm not sure why but it sounded like something I'd enjoy and enjoy I did, in fact, it became an instant favorite! Also, the fact that it's set in London and it's British is an extra bonus. I love British books!

Night School has just about everything I love in a good escape. Mystery, intrigue, excitement, driven character and a heart po
Reynje
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
I liked Night School. But I say that with a massive caveat. (More on that later.) So, Night School and upcoming Night School sequel: you and your ratings are on probation.

The synopsis is fairly ambiguous as to the genre of the novel. It drops hints about a strange boarding school and a mysterious loner guy, but is evasive on the specifics. Even the cover looks like it would be home among a shelf of paranormal romances. So while I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say this, I’ll put in spoiler tags
Jessica
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jessica by: ~Tina~
Man, this was A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!

C.J. Daugherty managed to keep me in the dark about what was really going on in Night School until the very end. I had no freakin' clue and I loved that. Daugherty scattered a few hints here and there to make sure you never stayed on the right track. After a while I thought I had the whole thing figured out and was like "Ah well, this is just another one of those boarding school stories about vampires or whatever" but I was wrong. It really isn't. I think it's best t
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5

I honestly don't know how to rate this book. It's such an odd read, I came in with certain expectations as to the plot, the characters, and the writing, and none were reached. That isn't to say it's a bad thing, considering I had low expectations, but this book was so different from what I actually got. From the title, I expected a House of Night ripoff, and instead I got Gossip Girl meet cloak and daggers with a hint at the paranormal and a set of rules straight out of Fight C
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Privilege, school, friendship, family, love.

I have to admit that I put off reading this for a long time.

Why?

The cover. It just screams PNR. Or YAFantasy.

No, thank you.

But this month I wanted to finally read some of those books that have been sitting on my physical TBR for a long while, starting with the UKYA. And Night School was the first one I picked up.

And wow. Why did I leave it so long?

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was absolutely NOT what I read. This book was all kinds
Roobie
4 stars

The voice in her head told her not to trust him. But then, the voice in her head didn't trust anyone.

Well, damn! I didn't expect to like this so much, probably why it took me so long to start it, but I'm glad I did. Although I'm sensing a lot of frustration in the future. (view spoiler)

But oh well... Off to the next one.

Bookish Penguin
If I have just read it when I got it ( I was 14 I guess)... well my mum bought it before I went on a trip and I haven't read it since but I own the whole series... AHHHHH. But let's come to the book. I didn't like it as much as I expected it to do. The writing (maybe it was just the German translation) was really...not my type and you could just feel it was written my an adult trying to sound like a teenager. AND I HATE THIS. I HATE IT. AHHHHHH. And the plot was bad too! Everything was so clear! ...more
Isamlq
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Sixty four percent in four days does not a good sign make. I just couldn’t get into it; but, the Lord be thanked, for if not by the powers of skimming then I doubt I’d have managed to get through to the end.

Should I say that it’s the same old, same old?
Should I say that the boys are ridiculously controlling in this one?
Should I repeat the fact that, yet gain, there be two boys in this one; both of whom are into the same girl who thinks herself, yet again, as not that much to begin with?
Should
Izzy
Awh man. I really wanted to be able to give this book more. Instead I shall tell you why I didn't (and why I gave it what I did of course).

Right, so the blurb and the first chapter of the book give the impression that Allie is somewhat of a troublemaker, what with the arrests and all. Sounds fun, right? We all love a good troublemaker. However, as the book went on I found her character *quite* and by quite I mean really inconsistent. She changed the moment she went to the boarding school to gen
Sláinte Wanderlust
This is not a paranormal or fantasy book - Ignore the bookshelves that say it is.
It is instead about spoilt teenagers who are whiney, full of issues and extremely annoying to read about.
The big surprise about what night school is...

That wasn't a surprise.. at all.
I wouldn't recommend this book, nor continue the series.
Ferdy

Sixteen year old Allie is sent away to boarding school after getting arrested for the third time. Hoping Allie will start to behave, Allie's parents drop her off at her new school - Cimmeria Academy, which much to Allie's dismay is in the middle of nowhere. This conveniantly gets rid of the heroine's parents pretty much straight away - everyone that reads YA knows that parents can't heaven forbid actually be there to parent our young heroes and heroines!
It was a bit unbelievable that Al
Sophie
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Night School tells the story of Allie Sheridan, a teenage girl who is having a tough time dealing with her brother's disappearance. After being arrested for the third time, her parents decide to send her to the mysterious Cimmeria Academy, whose students include the children of the country's most powerful and influential people. Though the boarding school may house teenagers, electronics of any kind aren't accepted: no phones, mp3 players, laptops, TVs, anything.

Allie's life at Cimmeria starts o
Stacey (prettybooks)
If you, like me, saw the cover of Night School and assumed it was a paranormal romance novel then let me assure you – it’s nothing of the sort!

Allie Sheridan is having a tough time coping with her brother’s disappearance. He was her best friend until one day he just wrote a note and left. When Allie gets arrested, her parents decide that they are unable to deal with her self-destructive behaviour anymore and send her to boarding school – Cimmeria Academy.

Cimmeria Academy is no ordinary school. I
Crystal
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I need more!! That is the only thing going through my brain right now. I just want more of these words and sentences that Daughtry has strung together. The story flows like water and for 454 pages it has to flow to keep my attention and it not only did that but it left me wanting another 454 pages!
Allie has been sent to a school tucked in the middle of nowhere as a last resort to save her from herself. Ever since her brother left she has been on a downward spiral and her parents are at the end o
Mizuki
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
*sighs* Night School by first-timer C. J. Daugherty isn't awful, but the way-too-overused setting had irritated me quite a bit...

(1) New girl in a new school---a secretive boarding school, that's it.

(2) Love triangle---we all know there is no escape from this one!

(3) Two mouth-wateringly hot male love interests: one moody bad boy and one Straight-As student (and he is rich, mind you), and we all know there is no escape from this one neither!.

I'm actually surprised these two boys don't turn out
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
This review is also available on my blog.

__________________________________

I can't think of a rating for this. Either 3, 3.5, 3.75, I just don't know.

So I decided to get this book because the reviews I've seen gave it the impression that this is a book of pure epicness. I was intrigued and curious, so I was excited when I managed to get my hands on it.

Unfortunately, it kind of let me down.

So this book is about Allie Sheridan who became a rebellious girl after her older brother Christopher ran aw
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

C.J. Daugherty has several things going for her in her debut novel and the first in her Night School series: a chilling, thoroughly Gothic vibe, an interesting and just-convoluted-enough conspiracy theory, and a somewhat rounded main character. Unfortunately for both Night School and its readers, Daugherty loses sight of what she should write about and focuses on mean girls, petty high school drama, "mysterious" boys, and an obnoxious love trianle w
Nic
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nic by: Tina
Night School was recommended to me by my good friend Tina. She told me not read any spoilers, to go in knowing as little as possible and I am so glad I listened to her. Becaused it was so different from what I was expecting but I mean that in a good way. Now I don't want to say anything about what this book was actually about because it is nice to have a book that takes you by surprise. Let just say it was intriguing plot. I loved the mystery too it and how it leaves me with questions that I des ...more
Brodie
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, favorites
Allie's screwed up for the last time. Her parents are tired of her being expelled from school or arrested by the police. Ever since her brother went missing, she's fallen into a downward spiral. So when her parents ship her off to Cimmeria Academy, a boarding school where only legacy or the best of the best attend, Allie isn't expecting to life to get better. To her surprise, she quickly settles in and makes a few friends. But she soon learns that a darkness lurks in the heart of Cimmeria as sec ...more
Emily
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
Night School was just a random buy at a store a couple of days ago. Actually, it wasn't exactly a "buy". Bascially I got it for free, so why the heck would I not grab it with me home? I read the blurb, which sounded interesting, and I honestly could use me some fantasy/boarding school kind of shiz right now.

Boarding school I got, but a fantasy it was not. Neither was it a mystery or paranormal. Then what was it, you probably ask, and I truthfully am not sure. Most of the story revolves around Al
Kristy
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was like an awesome mix of Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, Haven (Winterhaven, #1) by Kristi Cook and Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz. So, obviously if you liked any of these I would suggest you pick up this one.

While I am saying this was a mix of those it also was original in it's own ways. I was thinking I was sort of over the whole boarding school thing, but this one sucked me in. It was a really different school, so I didn't get bored with the setting.

Allie is trouble with a capital T since her brother, Christopher went missing. She has pulled her last stunt and her parents dec
Carolina Carriço
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was exactly what I needed! I was getting a little slumpy, so I decided to stop the book I was reading and try something else. I was roaming in my Goodreads page and saw one of my friends reading the fifth book on this series so I went and checked the first one. I read the blurb and thought Well, this sounds fun!, and I picked it up and BAM I was hooked within pages and I just couldn't stop reading!

At first I wasn't liking the girl, Allie, but soon she went from bad to okay and it wasn't bot
Tanner
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I need more answer...Now.
Novels On The Run
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-books
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING : 4.5 MOODY CARTER STARS!!

“Never be afraid to be honest.”

New series alert!! *flashing red light*

This is the series to look out for. I received this book from Atom and I knew I was going to like it. I love a good Academy book. Cimmeria Academy ( I need me somebody to tell me how to pronounce it!) has mystery , murder and some mayhem and boys, boys, boys!!( so very important, hee..hee) and of course the bitchy girl...you have to have a bitchy girl, they can be so much fun
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
As soon as I seen the Night School book cover on Goodreads I knew I wanted to read it, I mean just look at it, it’s gorgeous. Not only that but it has a very intriguing blub and so I knew I had to get it. Now let me tell you, after reading it Night School is a mysterious, thrilling and dangerous ride, one that will leave readers guessing to the very end and I loved it!

Allie Sheridan’s life was perfect, well that was until her older brother Christopher disappeared one day leaving only a note to s
Lara
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect. I needed 4 hours to read it, and I couldn't stop. Be prepared to enjoy in amazing world of one teenager, a girl whose world is going upside down when she comes to special Academy. No mobile phones, computers and WIFI. Love, secrets, misteries... The best book ever.
Sandra
Love, love, love it!!! it was awasome and i couldnt put it down! many hilarious, romantic and exciting scenes that made the reader gasping for more. i mean what more do you need? it definitely has everything a reader wants.

My favorite characters are Allie and Carter. Infact i liked ALL the characters. They were well described and developed and you get to know them more in the middle of the book.

What can i say about the love triangles? i will describe them in 3 different words. unique, loving and
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Jun 25, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish
Everything about this book - from the title, to the cover, to the synopsis - screams paranormal romance/mystery. So to find out (after I'd already started) that it was nothing of the sort... safe to say I was disappointed.
When I was checking this out in other people's reviews I also noticed that a lot of things to come simply weren't my cup of tea, so adding that to a poor start meant this is a non-finisher for me.
Maybe I'll pick it back up another time, but it's unlikely.
Eirini Nikolaou
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! Kept me on edge the whole time, was fun and unpredictable and it was just what I needed!!! Thank you C.J.Daugherty's husband for daring her into writing this!
Paranormal? 9 43 May 26, 2019 12:14PM
Sylvain vs Carter 160 405 Mar 06, 2018 03:55AM
Night School word game 6 7 Jun 08, 2015 04:22AM
Carter? 5 20 Jun 08, 2015 04:21AM
i want a book like night school 1 16 Jun 07, 2015 09:31AM
i want book like night school 1 10 Jun 07, 2015 09:22AM

• A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy, #1)
  • Fated (Fated, #1)
  • Hollow Pike
  • ExtraNormal (ExtraNormal, #1)
  • The Witch Collector Part I
  • Die Katastrophe (Das Tal Season 1, #2)
  • Logan und Gwen  (Das verbotene Eden, #2)
  • Weiß wie Schnee, Rot wie Blut, Grün vor Neid: Ein mörderischer Schneewittchenroman (Märchen heute, #1)
  • Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)
  • Les Cendres de l'oubli (Phænix, #1)
  • Unraveling Isobel
  • inDIVISIBLE
  • New Girl
  • The Reluctant Hallelujah
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound Prodigies #3)
  • Perigee Moon
  • Soul Kissed (Moonstone Saga, #1)
  • Poison Heart
International bestselling author CJ Daugherty is a former newspaper reporter and crime writer. Her Night School series has been translated into 24 languages, and has been a bestseller in multiple countries. She also writes The Echo Killing crime series under the name Christi Daugherty.

Find out more on her website: www.ChristiDaugherty.com on www.facebook.com/CJAuthor and on Twitter: www.twitter.c

Night School (5 books)
  • Legacy (Night School, #2)
  • Fracture (Night School, #3)
  • Resistance (Night School #4)
  • Endgame (Night School, #5)
“What should I say? ‘Well, the murder was a little upsetting, and the fire did worry me a bit. I was nearly date-raped and my ex best friend is crazy. But, hey, at least I’m making an A in History’?” 88 likes
“Fine. You stay here. I shall return when I’ve found food. But when you all faint from hunger later don’t think you can just feed on me.” 62 likes