Start by marking “The Restoration of Emily” as Want to Read:
The Restoration of Emily

The Restoration of Emily

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Architect and single mother Emily Harada has structured a well-ordered existence around her work restoring historic houses and the parenting of her teenage son, Jesse. But her carefully laid foundation cracks when she develops a nagging ache in her shoulder, has her architectural integrity questioned, and feels shut out by Jesse’s assertions of independence. What she doesn ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Dundurn (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Restoration of Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Restoration of Emily

Janet Berkman
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
I picked up The Restoration of Emily by Kim Moritsugu from the Staff Picks shelf at the library. As soon as I got going on it, I realized that I'd listened to it via a CBC Between the Covers podcast a year or so ago, but it's such a good story that I gobbled it up in a day. Emily is an architect in Toronto and a single mother of a teenage son, Jesse. Her specialty is restoring older homes. She's happy in her single, solitary life as a 50-something cranky businesswoman when circumstances bring ba ...more
Elinor
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-houses
The heroine has my dream job -- restoring old houses. It must be so satisfying to take a neglected house and bring it back to its former glory. Her less appealing challenge is dealing with a fractious teenaged son. (Since I raised four teenagers myself, I can identify.) Kim Moritsugu is an excellent writer with a wry sense of humour, and I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. I stumbled across it while looking for books about women who inherit old houses, and I'll be reading more by this author.
tamarack
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
It finally dawned on me that I *can* add books I've listened to by audio, and that this isn't really "cheating". This novel got me hooked on CBC's Between the Covers (just another reason to love CBC radio). This book isn't going to redefine your existence, but something in the wry and sarcastic-and-honest voice of our protagonist, Emily, won me over. Though I'll probably never be a 50-ish architect single mom, I nonetheless sympathised with and felt eerily similar to this character. I already re ...more
Melinda Worfolk
Like many other reviewers, I listened to this on CBC's Between the Covers. I really enjoyed it! It's a light story, well-written, with a likable main character and a good narrative voice. I downloaded the podcasts (sadly no longer available) and listened to them during the many hours of driving I was doing for my job at the time. They kept me engaged and made the drive interesting instead of tedious. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a humour-filled, intelligent, happy book.
Colleen
Architect and single mother Emily deals with motherhood and middle age. I really enjoyed this book, mainly because Emily had a wicked sense of humour. She spoke her mind and some of the things she said to people were priceless. Her anti-social tendencies also appealed to me, I guess. I’d definitely try other novels by this author. She’s Canadian, too.
Rosemary
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
An older divorced mother has to deal with her son, who is growing up and is at the stage where he is finding his own way. She has focused much of her life on him and now must focus on something else.
Tanya
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun to read a book set in Toronto. Otherwise, I wouldn't have read it. As someone who is usually welcoming to the passing of the years, it made me dread reaching my mid 40s. And teenagers sound like a serious disaster to parent!
Maryan
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
An easy and enjoyable book about a woman navigating through a mid-life crisis
Fran
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this brisk and witty book about an architect and single mother going through changes professional and personal. It was deftly handled and a pleasure to read.
Helen
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kim Moritsugu was born and raised in Toronto. She holds Bachelor of Arts and Master of Business Administration degrees from the University of Toronto, and worked for several years in a corporate setting before becoming a fulltime fiction writer.

Kim is the author of the romantic comedy Looks Perfect (shortlisted for the Toronto Book Award), the domestic comedy Old Flames, the literary mystery The G
More about Kim Moritsugu...