Start by marking “Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark: Ultimate Collection, Book 1” as Want to Read:
Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark: Ultimate Collection, Book 1

Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark: Ultimate Collection, Book 1

(Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark #1)

The critically acclaimed, award-winning creative team of Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark make their explosive debut! For the past few years, Matt Murdock's life has been teetering on the edge of destruction. Now, pushed beyond the limit, Matt finds himself behind the eight ball with no clear way out, the people he calls friends slowly deserting him, and Hell's Kitchen gradual ...more
Published February 8th 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark

Anne
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Prison Break
Recommended to Anne by: Jeff
5 Hell Yeah! stars

description

When we last saw Matt, he was in a courtroom, pleading Not Guilty to the charge of being the vigilante, Daredevil.
That's his story, and he's sticking to it...

description

Kingpin had originally tried to use this information to cut a deal with the FBI and get released, but...it didn't work out as well as he hoped it would.
Snitches get stitches, Fisk!
Actually, I wouldn't recommend trying to shank Wilson in the showers, boys. Even naked and soapy, fat boy is gonna crush your skulls...

So now th
Jeff
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-reads, comix

Number forty-seven said to number three
"You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see
I sure would be delighted with your company
Come on and do the Jailhouse Rock with me"

Jailhouse Rock for those of who are fans of the pre-Vegas Elvis, Elvi-1.

Matt Murdock aka Daredevil has been tossed into prison by the U.S. Government pending a trial to be announced sometime in the not too distant future. Probably. Okay, the Feds want Daredevil and Kingpin to kill each other in prison. To keep him company, Daredevil
Dan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remember hearing about this but didn't get the chance to read it until now. Was well worth the wait.Very good story.
Andrew
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd intended to finish the Bendis/Maleev run before starting in on this one, but Maryland's ever-capricious Interlibrary Loans system had other plans.

Anyways, this certainly lives up to my expectations. Like Bendis, Brubaker downplays the more fantastical elements of the Marvel universe to tell a grimy, pulpy, totally propulsive crime/noir story full of double-crosses, revenge plots, institutional corruption, and broken bones. The story takes you inside Rikers Island and to the underworlds of M
Kyle Berk
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To put it briefly I loved it.

To stretch that out I adored this collection of Daredevil issues.

Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark take the lead from Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev. Utilizing the pieces of their run on the character to astounding effects. Listen I love Daredevil. He’s got a consistent quality about him but his flavor is never exactly the same. Bendis was a crime and mob story for most of the run. Brubaker is still crime but he has a more noir thriller aspect to it, with a healthy tablespo
Hugo Morgado
Long time no read Daredevil, for the obvious reasons.
But this is Ed Brubaker, for God’s sake.
Although it misses some courage, probably imposed by the editor, it’s a very good arc of story, well written, with substance and improperly actions of the character.
The art is astonishing, noir, dark, lurking.
Daredevil in another level, probably not since Frank Miller.
Rachel
May 27, 2012 added it
Shelves: unfinished
Ugly, unreadable art, and a boring prison/court room drama storyline. I couldn't even finish it!
Addison
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My eyes were glued to this book as soon as I was passed the first issue. Even though I'm still new when it comes to Daredevil this was still a really good read.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
A truly excellent Daredevil story. Ed Brubaker did some great work on Daredevil and Jesica Jones.
Alvey
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Brubaker weaves an intriguing tale of crime noir, similar to his Gotham central series. Excellent pacing coupled with attentive art results in another fantastic addition to the Daredevil mythology. However it felt slightly underwhelming after the unparalleled Bendis run, due to no fault of its own
Aden
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good way to continue Bendis' run on Daredevil.
José M.S.
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
5☆ The Devil in Cell-Block D; The Secret Life of Foggy Nelson
3,5☆ The Devil Takes a Ride
Mark Smiley
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a huge Daredevil fan and since this picks up partway through with issue 82, there was some back story I did not understand. But, I read it and am now done!
arjuna
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Hmm. I have mixed feelings about this one, having chosen it as an intro to Daredevil because Brubaker was on the pen. It doesn't really serve very well on that level, requiring a fair amount of contextual knowledge on the part of the reader, and not really telling one a lot about Murdock as a chap per se. That said, the *lack* of the background knowledge doesn't actually interfere with the story, which supports itself as an action tale - it just means that certain plot points which are obviously ...more
Andy
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, graphic-novels
This is not the place to go for your first venture into the world of Daredevil, which probably accounts for the low ratings by some reviewers. It helps to know a little of Matt Murdock's backstory, although some of it can be extrapolated along the way. Since Murdock spends a lot of time in this collection behind bars, fans won't see as much of Daredevil in costume as they're used to, but that doesn't mean there's any lack of action, suspense or tension. Brubaker has written a gritty, complex noi ...more
Kevin Mann
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not easy at all for the creative team assigned to follow Bendis/Maleev (which was arguably the best Daredevil run since Miller/Janson) But Brubaker/Lark give it their best. It doesnt help that they start out, tossed "in the hole" with DD in Prison! Yikes. ...but eventually after working through the limited dead-end predictibility of where that Bendis loose end can go , once DD is sprung, we eventually morph into always enjoyable Brubaker Noir-tinged, plot twist goodness. By no means is this sing ...more
Scott
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's stories like these that remind me why I love Daredevil!! Brubaker belongs with Frank Miller and Brian Michael Bendins on the Mount Rushmore of Daredevil writers.

Oh wait there is art as well. Michael Lark & Stefano Gaughan with David Aja have created a beautiful beautiful book. Colorists Frank D'Armata and Matt Hollingsworth put the finishing touches on everything. Not to be left out is the Letterer Cory Petit. Letters can make the subtle difference between an awesome book and a masterp
Brandon Forsyth
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aside from Brubaker's Captain America run (which I have mixed feelings about), I hadn't read any of his Marvel work. I was delighted to find a gritty, Criminal-esque take on Daredevil that takes old Hornhead off the streets of Hell Kitchen and into an emotionally volcanic Ryker's Prison. It's a great concept, and Brubaker makes the most of it. I'm only subtracting a star for some unimaginative storytelling when people communicate by phone in the prison - a 4x5 grid of a comic book page is an ugl ...more
EsEfEm
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I loved the pulpy, noir-ish feel of this book, but the art was too dark. Most of the panels I couldn't even tell what was going on due to the lack of light.
The story in the prison was really well done. We even got a cameo from The Punisher. But I felt like the story really dropped off after the prison riot. It became a typical damsel-in-distress-oh-wait-she's-lying comic trope, and I lost interest quickly.
Aron
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Really more like 4 1/2 stars. The first half of this book with Matt/DD in the slammer was SUPERB. After his exit from the penitentiary the story drops off a little but it's still very good. I haven't read Bendis's run of DD that came immediately before this but I still had no problems getting into to story, & I'm looking forward to Book 2 of this 3 book set with great enthusiasm. Highly recommend.
J.
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Bendis definitely left Brubaker with a complicated situation to get out of. I really like the first half, about Daredevil in prison and how he gets out. The second half is a bit of a muddle--the villain's plan is waaaaaaay too complicated, and it didn't leave me very satisfied, even after a second reading.
Thomas
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an awesome Daredevil story that for huge swaths of the story doesn't actually have Daredevil in it. I think when he does appear it's because editorial told Brubaker, "you know the book is titled Daredevil right? It might be good to have him appear in it every now and again."
The things you don't mind and it reads great without him.
Hasse
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Oh, Daredevil as an avenger. Believing that his best friend has been murdered, Daredevil goes on a rampage in a federal prison. Or should I say Murdoch.
The plot is excellent and the story unfolds greatly the whole way through. We get to see The Punisher, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist. We get to see great villains as well.
Go and read it!
Timothy Walker
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first daredevil i have read so apparently i shouldnt have liked this but the art was beautiful, gritty and refreshingly simplistic plus after all that back and forth punch up style mainstream marvel popularity grabbing nonsense i just read the story was a breath of cell-block-B air (one can only imagine what that would smell like).
Liam Jennings
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Though it's an impossible task to live up to the legendary Bendis run, Brubaker has done an outstanding job dealing with the mess that it Matt Murdock's life. Throwing him in jail was the next logical step in the series and he soon discovers that corruption doesn't just live on the streets of Hells Kitchen, it's bled into the judicial system and Rykers Prison. An utterly nail-biting volume.
Justin Sorbara-Hosker
3.5. If Brubaker writes, I read. And already being a DD fan, this was win-win for me. Stands right there with the Bendis run, I think (I like the art here better) - & any fan of the Miller run would like this as well; essential reading for the DD fan.
Bancha
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A familiar smellscape of NYC by DD, "Garbage, sewage, rats, coffee grinds ... Roasted chestnuts ... Perfume and makeup ... Breath tainted by whiskey and cigarettes ... Mold ... decay ... Those were the fragrances of my world."
James DeSantis
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just as fun and dark as the last few, though the second half is a little slow at moments with a solid payoff. The first half though, so damn good. Especially the breakout. Overall, if you loved Brain's run you'll sure to enjoy this one as well!
shaurya gupta
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A great end to an epic story started by Bendis.
Fredrik
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Amazing artwork, plot, characters and action.
Vol 1 of 3. I'm gladly continuing to read Daredevil by Ed Brubaker.

• Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev: Ultimate Collection, Book 1
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2
  • FF, Volume 4
  • Daredevil, Vol. 8: Echo
  • Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time: Ultimate Collection
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark (3 books)
  • Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark: Ultimate Collection, Book 2