Start by marking “Basic Practice of Statistics, Cd-Rom, Online Study Center and JMP Cd-Rom Version 6” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Basic Practice of Stat...

David S. Moore

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Hardcover
Published July 15th 2009 by W. H. Freeman (first published January 1st 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Practice of Statistics, Cd-Rom, Online Study Center and JMP Cd-Rom Version 6

Alessandro
A very good textbook on statistics, though I think too much space is devoted towards theory. Building up to t-stats using z-values makes sense in theory, but I think my students found it more confusing than helpful. That said, it's the first textbook I've read that I actually enjoyed reading.
Jann
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
This was easily one of the worst textbooks I've ever had to muddle through. Explanations were not cohesive, not thorough, and often were in no particular order. I learned more from Khan Academy videos and my instructor (who was actually mostly useless as well.) The textbook was just one more level of frustration to this class. I only learned anything because I found resources for myself.
Craig Rowley
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introductory Statistics book covering data exploration, collection, description, classification, quantification, graphing, and rudimentary cleansing. Later chapters explore inference, regressions, the most common distributions, sampling, and Z/T hypothesis testing for single statistic means and proportions. All required skills, sans basic mathematics, are enabled by this book.

Nanette
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
This book is pretty good. I'm no mathematician and taking statistics independent study had me pretty psyched out! In fact, I saved it for my LAST class required for graduation. It was a full court press to finish the course in the short 3 months that I had. Between this text and the stat tutor online videos via Launchpad, I was successful.
Scott Cole
Mskittenkaboodle
Approachable for absolute beginners and easy to understand.
Jessica
Jan 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was easy to understand and the problems were never dry and always helpful. It is easy to see why this book is used in countless statistic classes around the country.
Mike
Jan 13, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be taking a class in statistics next fall so I thought I'd get a head start.
Julio Vieira
Katherine
Sep 04, 2014
Andrew
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a piece of garbage. Look if you enjoy wasting your time on low level tedious work then buy this book. I can't stand much of the computation and it's annoying how poorly written the examples are for reference to other problems. I am very annoyed that i needed to buy this book for my class for my degree. I seriously wish I could give less than one star on this book. I've taken calculus 2 and that was a lot less busy work than this book.
Joan
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Single Variable Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals
  • Applied Numerical Analysis
  • Introduction to Java Programming: Comprehensive Version
  • Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations: Finite Difference Methods
  • Vector Calculus
  • Physics for Scientists and Engineers
  • Linguistic Anthropology
  • Principles of Economics
  • Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics [With Student Resource Access Code]
  • Sources of the Western Tradition: From the Renaissance to the Present
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary
  • Physics for Game Developers
  • Algorithms in C, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching
  • Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies
  • Contemporary Marketing
  • Business Essentials (MyIntroBusinessLab Series)
  • Antipatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis
  • Electronic Commerce
David S. Moore is (retired) Shanti S. Gupta Distinguished Emeritus Professor of statistics at Purdue University (Lafayette, IN).
More about David S. Moore...