Start by marking “Falling Through Darkness” as Want to Read:
Falling Through Darkness

Falling Through Darkness

Ginny can't resist daredevil Aidan--until the night he crosses the line between games and reality. She survives, he doesn't, and everyone thinks it's an accident. Lost somewhere between past and present, she meets Caleb., a much older man with secrets of his own. In richly limned scenes, Carolyn MacCullough debuts as a strong new voice in young adult literature.
Published October 5th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press (first published September 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Through Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Through Darkness

Emma (Miss Print)
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Seventeen-year-old Ginny's life feels like a waking dream. Or maybe a nightmare. It all seemed so different when Aidan first came crashing into her life.

Beautiful, vivid, reckless Aidan is nothing like Ginny--a quiet, good girl more comfortable blending in than standing out. But Aidan makes Ginny different. He makes her want more. Makes her feel more. In the end, he makes her feel too much.

There was a crash. Something everyone else is calling an accident. Aidan is gone. But Ginny is left behind
Georgeanna Hores
i swear when i was reading this it felt like i was reading my cousins life. i found the reality of it so effective, like i could see myself at that point one day.
Alondra
Annika
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There isn't very much to say about Falling Through Darkness. It's a short and quick read with quite simple writing.

Falling Through Darkness tells the story of seventeen year old Ginny who has lost her boyfriend Aidan and is now trying to cope with his death.

The book is told in a third person narrator and it's set in the now while we get flashbacks of Ginny's time with Aidan.

It didn't really manage to make me feel anything for the characters since it all felt underdeveloped and the characters fel
Rhianna Aspinall
This book was so, so disappointing.
Of course, I didn't expect much when I discovered a YA Romance novel for 149 pages at £0.50.. nevertheless, I gave it my fullest attention.
I really do feel like it lacked (basically) everything that makes a book..a book. The plot was severely underdeveloped and at times I found myself thinking "Maybe if this sentence was reworded like this..." and "Perhaps this could have been added to make it more interesting...". The characters were also very brief.
I complet
Darcy
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, ya
When you first start to read this book you aren't quite sure what is going on, but slowly the story becomes clear. Ginny is mourning her boyfriend and having a hard time moving forward in her life.

You can see why Ginny was so attracted to Aidan, he is a charismatic guy, but he has some of his own issues. It is only as we get to know him you get a handle on his problems. In a moment of weakness Ginny breaks down and spills just what happened that night and you understand the problems that Ginny i
Sheryl
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ginny is the main character in this story who has to deal with the aftermath of a horrible accident involving her and her lost boyfriend, Aidan. Everyone thinks Ginny's grieving from losing Aidan, but what Ginny knows about what happened that night is what's really tearing her apart. Pulled between love and loss, Ginny must find a way to come to terms with what happened that night and the boy who loved her so desperately.

MacCullough skillfully blends together elements of tortured romance, harsh
Deborah Payne
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
TEEN LIT
I read this with a purpose: to consider for a book project I'm working on. This is a good book, and I probably only gave it a three due to the lenses in which I was reading it. Good girl meets bad boy. Bad boy ends up dying due to intentional reckless driving...suicide. Girl survives the crash, and the book is about her recovery. Would recommend to teens who are dealing with peer pressure or who like books where the teens are dealing with emotional issues. Note to self: girl starts to fa
Rebekah
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
A teen girl copes with the apparent suicide of her daredevil boyfriend. Not much to be optimistic about in this novel until the last couple pages. Every teen character is portrayed as living life for the moment, no plans for the future, smoking/drinking/partying/hooking up/peer pressure. Yet all the adults seem overly wise, waiting to help, if she would just open up to them. I liked the sorting of thought that is brought about through some chapters being past, some present, but I couldn't connec ...more
Ashley
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
#
CompNtBk
Borrowed from library.

FS: "Ginny slides her hands between her mattress and the box spring as soon as she hears the front door closed behind her father, and extracts a crumpled pack of Marlboros."

LS:
Kendra
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The main character Ginny's emotions seem to change quickly. Characters in books usually change overtime, but Ginny's feels too rushed. The ending was too dramatic for my liking. Other than a few little details, it was a good read.
Olivia
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short but great read. At first you don't quite understand but once you finish the book you're left thinking.
Analy
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book "Falling through darkness" by Carolyn Maccullough was a good book because it was about a girl name Ginny and how she was lost in her own feelings
Leah
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book but the ending was very...meh.
Kirsty
Oct 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Sierra
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my Favorites. Its not for everyone though. I recommend Re-reading this novel. you will end up falling in love with Ginny (who has a hard time conveying her emotions).
Emily
Apr 17, 2012
Gabby
Apr 06, 2014
Neko
rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2010
Oct 10, 2009
Cathy Doyle
Sep 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Carolyn MacCullough received her MFA in creative writing from the New School and lives with her husband in Brooklyn.