Start by marking “Gypsy Moon” as Want to Read:
Gypsy Moon

Gypsy Moon

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In the spring of 2004, Philip Anders ingested the first of what would be a daily dose of 4mg estrogen tablets. From that moment forward, his life would change forever. During the agonizingly slow transformation from male to female, he would lose a 22 year career in journalism, his marriage, his home, his savings, and most of his friends. Faced with the specter of homelessn ...more
Kindle Edition, 2 edition, 370 pages
Published August 31st 2011 by Real Publishing (first published August 17th 2011)

Laura Zimmerman
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I got the Kindle edition of this book free from the Kindle Buffet app on my Kindle. I chose it because I was interested in the process of changing from one gender to the other and I thought this book would educate me some on the topic.

While I can say that the book did educate me a little, I was disappointed overall with the book. I learned a lot more about semi driving than I learned about transitioning from male to female. I appreciate the author's candor about the changes she went through alon
Fred
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Go To Girl 😁

I was surprised to learn that Pam has written this book, as a friend and another veteran, I had to check it out. I have learned many things about this person I've known for several years.
A publisher, truck driver, and a paralegal!!!
When I started reading this book, I found it difficult to put down. I'm not sure if it was because I wanted to know more about Pam, the endeavors in life that makes her who she is, or the fascinating skills of writing.
Pam, I owe you some "Twinkies" 😀
Fred
Darlene
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Darlene by: Kindle freebie
Thank you, Pamela Rose Anders, for taking us along on your ride. I enjoyed riding in the jumper seat while trucking across the country. That in itself would have been a fun read. But you got down and dirty and dealt with the highs and lows of your life as you went from being Phil to Pam.

Though you had to endure hatred, you held no animosity or resentment. Your aim was pure and you held onto your goals. Bravo! I know someone who had made the reverse trip, female-to-male. Either way, it is very di
Megan Cutler
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
First I'd like to commend Pamela for having the strength to pursue and achieve her dream, and the courage to share her story.

Unfortunately, book reviews aren't about personal achievements, they're about books. And this book is poorly written. It reads much like an early draft, often clunky and overly verbose. Despite listing an editor on the copyright page (next to a typo), there are numerous grammatical and formatting errors throughout the book. Words are missing. Some sentences have two punctu
Becky C.
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This memoir tells Philip/Pam's story of transitioning from male to female and working as a long-distance truckdriver, trying to save up for her eventual gender reassignment surgery. Now well into her 50s and the father of three children and two grand children she is on the path to gender reassignment by undergoing a hormone regimen to be followed by living completely as a female for one year. Most of her co-workers and trainers were far more accepting than I would have imagined. A couple of the ...more
Michelle
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story touched my heart. A man making a gender transition from a male to a female tells the story of his struggles to accomplish this and why he persisted in spite of all the obstacles and heart-break. The story is inspiring and I hope some of the heartless idiots who caused him so much pain eventually read it...although I doubt many of them are readers. That would take intelligence.

The book was well written. My only comment would be recommending that the author use more contractions, such a
Sue Dubrovich
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. There is a great story in there, but she really needed an editor.

There is too much about the ins and outs of truck driving, and I wanted to know more about her transition, and about her feelings. I wanted to know more about her relationships, and also what her life was like after her full transition. It's not like once you have GRS things become 100%.

There was some good information here, but there could be more, and the writing could be better.
Pame
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a good book for everyone to read, especially for those who don't agree or understand gender identification problems. It gives an honest view into what it feels for someone simply trying to be themselves and all the obstacles people cause for something so insignificant as gender binaries. People are people, out of all the things that make a person good or bad gender identification is completely irrelevant, this inside look at Pam's journey shows that.
Pia Veleno
May 14, 2013 marked it as nfm
I was excited to get my hands on another non-fic trans book, but after reading a chapter and a half, I don't think I can finish it. The prose rambles off on tangents, such as a young boy's mother's white trash boyfriend, or a long explanation of truck stops and breakfasts on the road. I'm not up for digging for the good stuff.
Karika
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Nice autobiography into the path to transgender.
Guy
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this book. Ms. Anders story is one of great tribulation and perseverance. The fact that she can tell it so unflinchingly speaks to her greatness of character.
Sara
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
This is a moving memoir about how Pamela became Pamela (she was Philip before), battled sexism/prejudice/trans-phobia and reinvented her entire life.
Carla
Mar 12, 2005 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Telling a true story is no excuse for bad writing.
Melissa
Mar 27, 2013
Aimee Watson
May 09, 2018
Betsy
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2015
Mar 22, 2012
kellie bell
Jan 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • I Have Cancer. And I've Never Felt Better!
  • Run Away: One Woman's Story of Resilience
  • The Adventures of Bindi Girl: Diving Deep Into the Heart of India
  • Raising Abel
  • Chosen (Line of Descent #1)
  • It's Not My Mountain Anymore
  • Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder
  • North of Hollywood
  • Before Dawn (The Hunters, #1)
  • She's Me
  • Murder in Store
  • Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2)
  • Trailing: A Memoir
  • Rebooting My Brain: How a Freak Aneurysm Reframed My Life
  • Second-Chance Mother
  • The Third Floor
  • Journey Across the Four Seas: A Chinese Woman's Search for Home
  • Olga: A Daughter's Tale
Pamela Rose Anders was born in Chicago in 1949. Her original name was Philip Andrew Mair. Pamela served two years in the army infantry in the late 60's, and left Chicago for Dallas, Texas in 1979, where she began a 22 year magazine publishing and journalism career. During the next few years, she wrote two humor books under her male name.

In 2004, after two failed marriages and three children, Pamel

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years: A Memoir
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Blood River: The Terrifying Journey Through The World's Most Dangerous Country
    $15.99 $1.99