Start by marking “Happy Days Were Here Again: Reflections of a Libertarian Journalist” as Want to Read:
Happy Days Were Here Again: Reflections of a Libertarian Journalist

Happy Days Were Here Again: Reflections of a Libertarian Journalist

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A new collection of essays by the unpredictable, prime architect of the conservative movement, at his often acerbic, sometimes celebratory, always on-target best. This volume covers a wide range of enthusiasms, criticisms, tributes, and reflections from the former National Review editor.
Published September 21st 1993 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Happy Days Were Here Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Days Were Here Again

Bryan
This guy was once the standard-bearer of the conservative movement. Now people look to the likes of Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter. Too bad.
Colin
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of articles and columns. One wonders if these qualify as truly the work of a "libertarian journalist." But I always enjoy his use of language -- erudite, never stuffy, never too breezy, but easy and a joy to read.
Will
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture-politics
Series of intelligent, entertainingly-written political discussions.
Devin
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it
There are several essays that are "outdated," but for the most part it is a great read. Buckley's style is sharp and witty, but I didn't find the arrogance so many others see in his writings.
Arnold
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: communications
Brilliant read despite the fearsome reputation of the author. Skip some of his more off the wall remarks and enjoy the rest
Robert
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
A fine collection of columns by WFB from the second half of the eighties and the first few years of the nineties. Topics range from Bob Dylan to Clarence Thomas to the Gulf War. This volume also includes the majority, if not the totality, of Buckley's writing on the end of the Cold War. I haven't read that many of Buckley's collections of essays, but I don't think I'll find many more that are this diverse and accessible. Also, don't let the "libertarian" in the title worry you. I think WFB had c ...more
John
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it
William F. Buckley (1925-2008) was for many years the voice of American conservatism. I first read one of his books (The Jewelers Eye) back when I was doing a post-doc at Georgetown University in 1969-1970. Like this book, Happy Days Were Here Again is a compilation of Buckley's articles from a number of sources. It is quintessential Buckley, from the wisdom of his thoughts to his sometimes annoying use of words almost no one understands. If you like personal and political commentary, this book ...more
Suzanne
Mar 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This is a collection of writings from Mr. Buckley. Although I disagreed with many of his political positions over the years I am an enormous fan of his non-fictional writing and his remarkable wit. The world has lost a unique voice.
Pete
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Just fun to read. Historical perspectives from a 20th century libertarian.
Robert
Nov 27, 2012
  • The Notes: Ronald Reagan's Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom
  • The Quest for Cosmic Justice
  • The Handy Science Answer Book
  • RONALD REAGAN: HOW AN ORDINARY MAN BECAME AN EXTRAORDINARY LEADER
  • "Dumbth": The Lost Art of Thinking With 101 Ways to Reason Better & Improve Your Mind
  • Mafia Summit: J. Edgar Hoover, the Kennedy Brothers, and  the Meeting That Unmasked the Mob
  • Education and the Good Life
  • Reagan at Reykjavik: Forty-Eight Hours That Ended the Cold War
  • Enterprise: America's Fightingest Ship and the Men Who Helped Win World War II
  • Six Crises (Richard Nixon Library Editions)
  • The Hoax
  • A World Transformed
  • How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life
  • The Truth About Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most Intolerant Religion
  • Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers
  • An Empire of Ice: Scott, Shackleton, and the Heroic Age of Antarctic Science
  • James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights
William Frank Buckley, Jr. was an American author and conservative commentator. He founded the political magazine National Review in 1955, hosted 1,429 episodes of the television show Firing Line from 1966 until 1999, and was a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist. His writing style was famed for its erudition, wit, and use of uncommon words.

Buckley was "arguably the most important public int
More about William F. Buckley Jr....
“I would sooner be governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand members of the faculty of Harvard.” 8 likes