Start by marking “The Accident Man (Samuel Carver, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Accident Man (Samuel Carver, #1)

The Accident Man

(Samuel Carver #1)

If Princess Diana had been murdered, what sort of man would have killed her?

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 31st 2008 by Penguin Audio (first published 2007)

Start your review of The Accident Man (Samuel Carver, #1)
Mark
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spies, 2018, thriller
This is a well written thriller about a former British special forces soldier that specializes in accidental deaths for serious bad people. He gets a job to kill a suspected terrorist in Paris, it has to look like an accident. And when he finishes his job he finds out that he is marked for death. His Client has decided to leave no loose ends. And as he escapes a formidable Russian killer and goes on the run in Europe he finds he has been misled and has killed somebody else, a job he would never ...more
Book Addict Shaun
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Accident Man has been on my TBR for the longest time and I am so glad that I have finally read it. Samuel Carver is another great character to add to my list of favourite assassins and I can’t wait to read about him again. This book is a thriller in every sense of the word and I have not been able to get enough of it whilst reading it today.

The Accident Man takes one of the world’s most memorable events, the death of Princess Diana and looks at the hypothetical question of what if? What if
Ben Starling
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed and precise. Tightly written. Gripping. Enjoyed every page. Some day I'll read it again, so I'm keeping it on my bookshelf.
Neil
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has taken an internationally known event, in this case the death of the Princess of Wales, and has skillfully woven a tale around the commonly accepted 'facts'. As a debut thriller, from a previously unknown author, I have to say that I was totally engrossed in the book. The pace never really lets up, and kept me turning page after page.
The main character is Samuel Carver, an ex Royal Marine, and one time member of the Special Boat Service. The SBS being less well known than the SAS.
Ed
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samuel Carver is a former British SBS Marine specializing in staging accidental deaths for a clandestine government entity. Working on the assumption he was assassinating a dangerous middle Eastern terrorist in Paris, Carver's actual target is Princess Diana, the world's most popular woman. Shortly after engineering the fatal tunnel crash, Carver quickly becomes a dangerous loose end. He forms a shaky alliance with a beautiful Russian woman with questionable motives and together, they work to su ...more
Ian Mapp
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read reviews of this and seen it in the shops and tried to stay away from it. It just seemed a little bit too exploitational - basing such a story on real events, to which there are already too many conspiracy theories. It almost seems irresponsible to add more.

As a thriller, it is utterley absorbing and breathless. Very shorty chapters, double and triple crosses and many set piece action scenes.

Told in classic thriller/cinematic style. A header showing our ace assasain Samual Carver taking
Tom Tischler
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carver is a good guy who makes bad things happen to bad
people. Ex SAS he is now a freelance mercenary and the
number one weapon of a frontline outfit called the Consortium
a black ops British outfit, or is it. He's called to do a hit
on what he believes is a Pakistani terrorist. It's going
to be a car crash in a Paris underpass. But Carver is being
set up. When he discovers the identity of the targets female
companion he knows that his life is over. This secret is to
big to let him live unless he can
Dave Brown
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook
Fictional stories that spin off of historical events are always fascinating. I don't mean fictional accounts of the lives of historical people...although those are fascinating as well. I mean novels that take a historical event and ask, "what if?" That is what Tom Cain does with The Accident Man, and he chooses a particularly sensitive subject historically: the death of Princess Diana. Specifically, Cain uses the fictional premise (although he specifically denies attempting to set forth or suppo ...more
Sue
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dude-thrillers
First rate. At first, I was riveted. This guy writes like Tom Wood--and I can't get enough of those . . .

I had to take it down a notch because the book was ruined as soon as the protagonist, Carver, hooked up with a woman--then it seemed all about her. Also, the author over-used the word Carver and I consider that very poor writing.
Simon Taylor
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The debut thriller of an accomplished writer. A fiction based on a real death. Already the book is unique before you even open the cover.

Samuel Carver is the an assassin for hire, but only kills bad guys. He’s duped into causing the death of Princess Diana and is subsequently hunted by both his bosses as a lose end, and MI6 as a murderer. Joined with a glamorous Russian girl, he zips round the globe trying to stay alive.

Although riddled with cliché, Cain made a serious effort to keep the plot as
Cheryl
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samuel Carver gets paid to make accidents happen. He can be classified as a hit man. His jobs usually involve him eliminating bad people like terrorists and human traffickers. Sam’s boss, Max gives Sam his latest orders to take out Ramzi Hakim Narwaz a terrorist. This mission just may be his last as it will have him running for his life. Sam accomplishes his mission. He makes Ramzi’s car crash into a cement wall at the Alma Tunnel. The date is August 31, 1997. What Sam doesn’t know is that the c ...more
Jim
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-novel, thriller
Tom Cain takes a look behind a piece of recent history, the accident that killed Princess Diana and asks, What if?.... Cain’s protaganist , Sam Carver is a former member of the British Special Boat Service. He is now a paid killer, but still a man with a conscience, who is able to justify what he does by his belief that he is eliminating evil men who have no conscience at all. Eliminating criminals who think they are above the law. His life takes a dramatic turn when he accepts and carries out a ...more
Robert
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A new character is introduced in this book, Samuel Carver, or The Accident Man. A former British special forces soldier that decides to do some off the books type of jobs. Specifically arranging very unfortunate accidents, with deadly results, for some very nasty folks. Given a job and double crossed by his handlers Carver is looking to figure out who screwed him over. And unfortunately for them Carver is very good at his job. I found this book to be a fantastic thriller that cracks along at a v ...more
Jp
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Cain brings his experience as an investigative reporter into the world of fictional thrillers and creates Sam Carver, a morally conflicted ex-soldier and current black ops specialist.

Tom Cain writes a solid thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat in a fast-paced adventure. It keeps with some of the standards of the genre with bigger than life heroes and villains, but at times grounded deeply in the real world.

I recommend it highly and I'm looking forward to his next book.
Wendy
Wow. Just Wow. I literally read this book in less than two days. It is brutal, painfully violent and non-stop thrill.
What If Princess Diana's death was actually a "Hit"? And who would have done it, why was it done? I just cannot WAIT to read the second installment. If this book did not receive Literary Awards the Powers That Be are simply insane.
Dominic McConnon
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A non-stop action novel that is, in places, far too improbable - but this what makes the book so interesting. A resourceful central character thrown into a series of intriguing situations. A veritable page-turner. A very enjoyable read.
Tyler
I thought that it started out with great promise. It reminded me of the Bourne Identity series and I thought that I had found another great series. However, it had some raunchy moments and those themes continued to persist throughout. Alas, I just decided to put it down and walk away.
Jorge A.
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome read! It was high pace and suspenseful from start to finish! It was hard to put down!
Marisa
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had an intriguing start but it got a bit lost along the way. To the point that I decided to give it a break and go read something else.
Roger Scherping
This book had a strange opening. The assassination plot was laid out, and this character Sam Carver was introduced with absolutely no background or history. Nothing to make us interested in him. In fact, knowing what he had done, I thought for a long time that he was the antagonist, and I was hoping the authorities caught him. Even by the end of the book we know nothing about him as a person.

More importantly, Carver may be the dumbest assassin there has ever been. I've read all of the Mitch Rapp
Catherine Nelson
Jun 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. I may not finish this one. The writing is bad. The editing is bad. The storytelling is bad. And the premise . . . Other reviewers have questioned the morality or the ethics of the premise of this story. I don't think it's a question of morality, but it is certainly one of decency. Not to mention, ego.

Twisting the tragic death of Princess Diana into a fictional story of murder is one thing, but it is quite another to make her killer a sympathetic hero--or attempt to make. The auth
Cynthia
Sep 24, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One star (DID NOT LIKE IT)! Here's why: 1) Awkwardly written throughout, for example: the author strives to let the reader know how handsome Carver is and how beautiful Alix is. 2) "The Accident Man" uses his own mother's maiden name as his last name (Carver)!! 3) Carver has Alix dye her hair, so as to hide her identity, but has her do so in the public restroom of a very busy nightclub with lots of witnesses! However, he does not change his appearance, whatsoever! 4) Towards the end of the book, ...more
Gareth
Apr 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Steve
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tried this after reviews on here. I like the assassin type novels and also crime thrillers so this appealed. It's the first novel in a series and although I decided to give it 3 stars - would have been 3.5 -I did like the book. The general plot and it's premise based on a famous person and their untimely end is unusual enough to drag you in. I found the characters a little light and the action similar to other books in this genre and that is not unusual but there was something about the writing ...more
Anton Khodakovsky
Well, this is kinda Every Cliche Parade. The plot itself is more or less OK, but characters are cardboard figures and dialogues are cheesy as hell. Also, evil Russians. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for evil Russians, but even Hollywood mastered Russian gangsters in "Daredevil" TV series but not Tom Cain, oh no. Kursk is not a surname, it's a city, for crying out loud. "Na zdorovie" is not a toast. You get the idea.
Jason
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stuff
For a genre that is already full, this hitman/assassin tale is rather good.The character is believable and his methodology is entertaining , although claymores in a set of speakers is not a common everyday accident. Also the setting of a real life event and the authors conspiracy of the cause was a great read. I'll definitely give Sam Carver another read.
Andrew Neveils
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give this five stars, but at the end of this page-turning, whirlwind story I’m still left wondering if there could’ve been a bit more to it. Any fan of 007 or or any other spy/soldier thriller will enjoy this read that has all the action and suspense one could hope for, with just enough emotional weight at times to give our protagonist some depth.
Mark Baines
Interesting starting point for a thriller. Fast paced, glamorous styles, locations and ruthless in places, with a couple of twists that keep things entertaining and moving well. A good unchallenging holiday read.
Scott
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was a little slow at times, but a good story. The ending sucked and probably knocked it down to a 3.5 star. This was a theoretical look at how Princess Diana's car crash happened that killed her. I enjoyed the story line and how this was a possible explanation.
TC Correy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced, full of action though still had enough depth. The start was maybe a little slow, weighed down by too many descriptions, but then it drew me in. I can only recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
currently reading 5 22 Jun 17, 2013 12:27PM

• The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin, #2)
  • The Darkest Day (Victor the Assassin, #5)
  • Kill For Me (Victor the Assassin, #8)
  • Better Off Dead (Victor the Assassin, #4)
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1)
  • A Time To Die (Victor the Assassin, #6)
  • The Final Hour (Victor the Assassin, #7)
  • Blood Oath (Nathaniel Cade, #1)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • The President's Vampire (Nathaniel Cade, #2)
  • Bad Luck in Berlin (Victor the Assassin, #1.5)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • How to Rule an Empire and Get Away with It
  • Răstignit între cruci volumul II
  • Fii coios
Tom Cain is the pseudonym of David Thomas, an award-winning journalist with twenty-five years experience working at Fleet Street newspapers, as well as for major magazines in Britain and the US.

Samuel Carver (6 books)
  • No Survivors (Samuel Carver, #2)
  • Assassin (Samuel Carver, #3)
  • Dictator (Samuel Carver, #4)
  • Carver (Samuel Carver, #5)
  • Revenger (Samuel Carver, #6)

News & Interviews