Start by marking “Brass and Bone” as Want to Read:
Brass and Bone

Brass and Bone

2.39  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Being Simon Thorne, friend and collaborator to Lady Abigail Moran, isn't easy. Yes, being a daring thief does have its charms. But I still haven't convinced Abigail that she loves me, and thievery, for all the romantical writers say of it, is not the way to wealth. Especially if Abigail insists we continuously repair the airship with our ill-gotten gains.

So when an old fri
Published October 1st 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Brass and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brass and Bone

Marlene
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Brass and Bone by Cynthia Gael was a pretty good one-third of a story. The only problem is that I was expecting a whole story. A fairly short whole story (I knew the book was only 86 pages) but a whole story nevertheless.

What I got was a decent beginning to something. And then an abrupt "Epilogue". Simon, one of the two point of view characters says that he feels like he's fallen into a "penny dreadful". Fallen into is right. And just as suddenly dropped out of.

Brass and Bone started out as love
Milena Benini
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
First of all, this is a novella that doesn't really fit the form: indeed, it reads much more like the first part of a novel. Events happen just so they would, not because they form a coherent whole. I don't normally mind episodic constructions, but the overall structure has to be there. Unfortunately, in this case, it just doesn't happen.

The story revolves around two British criminals and a French witch forced to cooperate in order to get a mysterious, poisonous mechanical spider to the antipode
Anne
how disappointing to discover this is only HALF a book.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Was GREAT until the first POV switch then went downhill to the point I could barely finish it.

Completely my own fault -- for some reason I thought it was categorized as steampunk ROMANCE, when in fact it is purely steampunk.

From the perspective of a steampunk fantasy, it was decent, though I greatly disliked the POV changes.

From the perspective of a romance lover, don't bother with this one.

3/5 Stars, because that's as neutral as it gets.
J.L. Hilton
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I absolutely LOVED "Brass and Bone" up to about page 70. I enjoy first-person tales, and I liked both POV characters. The British guttersnipe turned stylish thief Simon was an adorable leading man, and the charming Parisian witch Cynara was a very interesting supernatural element. I loved the world-building -- possibly some of the best I've seen in the genre. THIS was a fully-realized Steampunk World, not (like so many other novels in the genre) just a story with a few dirigibles and goggles thr ...more
Jenn
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
I always waver about how I feel about novellas. They're either fantastic (like Crime Scene in a Corset) or meh for me. Unfortunately, Brass & Bone leans more towards the meh side of things because it left me feeling unsatisfied. I really liked Simon and Cynara, the two characters who take turns narrating, but the plot meanders without giving a sense of resolution and the hopping between narrators is distracting, particularly the first time Cynara starts narrating since it was completely out ...more
VampireNovelFan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, net-galley
It's not badly written, but it's just not interesting at all. I couldn't get sucked into the world, and with a novella you've only got a short span of time to make an impact. The author is a decent writer though, so I do encourage her to keep going.

*Review also posted to Amazon
Book Utopia
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, steampunk
Maria
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for Brass and Bone, as I've developed a new love for Steampunk. However, my hopes were not realized, unfortunately. The story was just ok. I found myself getting a little bored with it, even though it's only 102 pages long.

The author, Cynthia Gael, obviously has a very imaginative mind. The ideas were good, but I think the storytelling fell short a bit. My biggest issue with the book was the rapid switching between first person narratives. It made the story choppy instead of fl
Cynthia Fulbright
stopped reading because I was bored with the book. never reached chapter five despite having the ebook for six or seven days
Amy
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this was quite interesting, but ended very abruptly, without any of the main conflicts resolved. Cliffhanger endings are par for the course in a series, but this felt like 3/4 of a novel.
David Cooke
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Great as far as it goes but it finishes only part way through the story!!
Tina
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Novella length; decent story, but far too short to really get a feel for the characters or to understand what drives them.
Ike Reeder