Start by marking “Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith” as Want to Read:
Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith

Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  323 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Throughout history there have been great and articulate defenders of the faith, from Augustine and Aquinas to Jonathan Edwards, G. K. Chesterton, Francis Schaeffer, and C. S. Lewis. But with new challenges comes the need for a fresh apologetic that specifically addresses the arguments levied against faith in our time of scientific atheism and skepticism.

In the spirit of C.
Published January 1st 2012 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Mere Apologetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Apologetics

Kris
Great book, for what it tries to do. I love McGrath, and this book was almost a 5-star, but I couldn't ignore the flaws, however minor. There was a spot where he uses a parable to make an apologetic point completely different from the original divine meaning of the story. In another section he simply bashes on Philip Pullman and Dan Brown for a while, tearing apart their fictional works without really coming to a point. McGrath needs a more outspoken editor. And I wish he would have made this bo ...more
Ulvis
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was considering to give this book a 5 star rating because I loved McGrath’s approach in this book, to give the reader the possibility to create their own apologetic approach. The book was instructive and gave a great source of theory, but it was also quite practical (and that would have made it a 5 star book, in my opinion). But there were few moments when I lost the thought while reading, the language seemed a little complex. And one more issue that annoyed me was that the content seemed a bi ...more
Tim Baumgartner
First let me say Alister E. McGrath is a great teacher. That's one reason why I say this is a great introductory apologetics book. Oh, you don't know what that is? 'Apologetics is to be seen not as a defensive and hostile reaction against the world, but as a welcome opportunity to exhibit, celebrate, and display the treasure chest of the Christian faith' (11).

Sometimes, there is confusion about this and evangelism. And McGrath explains this in the first chapter. 'Apologetics is about persuading
Bendick Ong
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
To start with, and to tell the truth, am quite tired of apologetics cos from my limited experience, seldom do classical arguments win souls for the Lord. Instead these exchanges often end up with ok-this-is-what-you-believe-and-this-is-what-i-believe-and-lets-agree-to-differ. And often debates (esp through chains of emails) would take up a lot of precious time.

I used to love classical apologetics though. For its rational rigor allows me to practise the art i am supposed to be specialised in -phi
Lydia
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having never actually studied apologetics before, this was the perfect introductory book! McGrath provides plenty of explanation (what exactly "apologetics" means, for instance), several examples, but best of all tries to help the reader find their own method for sharing their faith.

As I mentioned, I've never studied or been "trained" in apologetics (as such) before, so I was rather surprised at how many methods I already use, but was also happy to learn of new methods that I'd thought were bey

Irina Trancă
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on Apologetics I've ever read!
Hady Nabil
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent starter for any one interested in apologetics.
David Haines
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a quick read. It is an introduction to apologetics which is intended as a primer for how to do apologetics. This book is loaded with great advice and observations. McGrath brings out a number of important principles which are great reminders for seasoned apologists, and important lessons for novices. It is well worth the read. One area of concern is that, even in this book, McGrath seems to accept the Kantian critique of Reason (as part and parcel of his Critical realism), and admits tha ...more
Tom
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: apologetics
On the good, this is a pretty good introduction for someone new to apologetics. McGrath keeps the information rather basic with a few moderately deep dives into the philosophical. The chapter on Reasonableness is also good. To his credit, McGrath doesn't try to "prove" God by any of the arguments he discusses, but effectively shows how the Christian faith provides answers to the questions and arguments. He also by default and by argument shows the unreasonableness of unbelief. On the bad, to cal ...more
Dan Wallis
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helping me develop my own style

I appreciated the background and history of the subject covered in this book. McGrath is very readable and does a good job explaining his thoughts. McGrath doesn't do much give answers as show you how to develop your own answers and style. I found the chapter on using cultural or literature touchpoints as connectors to apologetics very helpful, as I did the differentiation between apologetics and evangelism.
JR Snow
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics
Wonderful introduction to the field of apologetics. Didn’t agree with his call to change the apologetic approach to suit postmodernity-eschewing rational argument in favor of stories-but I agree with the overall need to speak to our specific audience-just not that much. :-) 4.5 stars.
Terri Hubbard
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introduction to Apologetics

Very informative! Although the book was short, it was packed with great ideas on how to effectively share my faith.
Steven Kopp
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics
Not always the most engaging in style, but when I skimmed back through and saw what I highlighted, I realized it was pretty insightful after all.
Henk-Jan van der Klis
De vertaling door Arend Smilde van Mere Apologetics tot Handboek apologetiek – Communicatie van het christelijk geloof brengt het ‘vakgebied’ apologetiek in leesbaar formaat bij de Nederlandse lezer. Waar een volledige en unaniem gedragen definitie ontbreekt, zit er natuurlijk een kern in betekenissen als excuses aanbieden of verdedigen. Erkennen wat waar is, en dit verdedigen, aanprijzen en vertalen naar de context van de toehoorder. In de loop van de kerkgeschiedenis zien we zo verschillende i ...more
Brendan
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, theology
This was an excellent introduction to Christian Apologetics. But, as I said, an introduction. Having read much over the past few years in terms of apologetics and overcoming barriers to reasonable faith, this book didn't do much for me in terms of growing in head knowledge.

If you are new to the world of defending the faith of the gospel, please get this book. It will help you understand and address some of our culture's challenges to Christian faith.

But if, like me, you have read works like Mer
Don Henrikson
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an excellent introduction to apologetics. McGrath covers the basics in an easy-to-read style, helps the reader see the need to develop a personal style and method of apologetic, and offers them tools for doing just that. This book serves the apologetic student who has studied the standard questions and answers by helping them understand how to actually use what they have learned. Highly recommended.
Forrest Smith
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent introduction to Apologetics in a broad sense. It is simple yet substantive with excellent points and suggestions for "doing" apologetics. I am not a novice in Apologetics, but I am not an expert either. I found this work to be engaging and informative, and I would recommend it for anyone interest in the subject or anyone who desires some deeper tools for addressing doubts and criticisms of the Christian faith.
Pancho
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a good introduction to Apologetics for anyone that is seeking to develop their own apologetic strategies. McGrath does a good job of covering all the basics and giving survey-style answers while being careful to encourage the reader to not cut and paste the answers but to develop their own.
Kyle McManamy
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: apologetics
3.5 - McGrath's book was easy to read and had some interesting points hither and yon, but he tries to cover too much in the space available. I left impressed with his knowledge base, some good illustrations, and books to read, but I think there were too many generalities here to make the time a productive read in apologetics.
Brad Shockley
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on apologetics

McGrath is obviously a brilliant, learned man able to write on a level only the brightest could understand, but in this book he takes something mostly discussed in academic circles and makes it understandable and attainable, as well as practical.
Dan Lacich
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the way McGrath approaches the whole topic of apologetics. This is not a book of canned answers to questions about the Christian faith. Rather it gives a framework for how to approach criticisms of Christianity with both a solid intellect and a winsome spirit.
Budi Kurniawan
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice book on apologetics. It gives pretty much practical insights more than the 'theories'. It's also quite interesting to note how McGrath somehow emphasized using the postmodern influence in our world today to reinforce our apologetics methods.
John Adams
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Does a pretty good job of making the case for why apologetics is important and laying out a framework for how one goes about the work, but is very sketchy in terms of actually helping the reader move from this theoretical approach to actually practicing apologetics.
Rex
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics
I found this book to be an excellent introduction to apologetics, particularly in the area of engaging the postmodern mindset with the claims of Christianity. McGrath wisely points out that one needs to develop their own apologetic style and not depend on the recitation of "canned" answers.
Adam
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Solid book.
R.P. Bosman
Een interessante inleidende studie over apologetiek. Het hoe, wat en waarom wordt helder uitgelegd zoals we van McGrath gewend zijn.
Tony denBok
Solid.
Tyler Prescott
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Great introduction to apologetics - highly recommended.
  • Seven Days That Divide The World: The Beginning According To Genesis & Science
  • When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics
  • The Intolerance of Tolerance
  • Paul for Everyone: Romans, Part One Chapters 1-8
  • God Is Great, God Is Good: Why Believing In God Is Reasonable And Responsible
  • NIV, The Case for the Resurrection, Paperback: A First-Century Investigative Reporter Probes History's Pivotal Event
  • The God I Don't Understand: Reflections on Tough Questions of Faith
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
  • Backgrounds of Early Christianity
  • A Place for Truth: Leading Thinkers Explore Life's Hardest Questions
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, and Mission Around the Table
Alister Edgar McGrath is a Northern Irish theologian, priest, intellectual historian, scientist, and Christian apologist. He currently holds the Andreas Idreos Professorship in Science and Religion in the Faculty of Theology and Religion at the University of Oxford, and is Professor of Divinity at Gresham College. He was previously Professor of Theology, Ministry, and Education at King's College L ...more
More about Alister E. McGrath

• The Sea Around Us
    $11.99 $3.99
  • The Newcomers: Finding Refuge, Friendship, and Hope in an American Classroom
    $14.99 $2.99
“To be rooted is perhaps the most important and least recognized need of the human soul.” 5 likes
“The human quest for beauty is thus really a quest for the source of that beauty, which is mediated through the things of this world, not contained within them.” 5 likes