Start by marking “Unnatural Selection (Unnatural Selection #1)” as Want to Read:
Unnatural Selection (Unnatural Selection #1)

Unnatural Selection (Unnatural Selection #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Four years ago, Nick Guthrie nearly died from a brain tumour until he received an experimental treatment that saved his life, even though the treatment brought bizarre and permanent side effects. Now he drinks fake blood to live, and has had to have his new long canines capped, but it's a small price to pay to keep doing the job he loves. He's a cop, part of a London Met P ...more
Published September 9th 2011 by Ann Somerville

To ask other readers questions about Unnatural Selection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unnatural Selection

Mandapanda
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
4.5 stars rounded up. Intriguing and intelligent romantic police drama with a paranormal twist. There is a series of murders of gay 'vees' in London and the detectives of the London Police Murder Investigation Team are hot on the case.

The only thing Nick Guthrie loves is his job with the Murder Investigation Team. He nearly died several years earlier from a brain tumor but was cured by a controversial viral treatment that left him with strange 'vampire-like' side effects. Nick is having trouble
Bookwatcher
There is a cure to every terrible disease in the world... it's available, and only in 5% of the cases the person will not be completely cured... it's called Immuno-Stimuland Haemovirus and it's very close to a miracle. The only problem? The side effect: it's very close to a myth coming true. Who is treated by it will became a "vampire".

No, forget about sun burning, holy water or coffin. It's a different view of vampirism, and well it's a very good original plot.

Nick, the main character and the
Clodia Metelli
I enjoyed this book. The premise, that a cure has been discovered for serious illnesses that leaves the patient with vampiric characteristics as a side effect was intriguing.

I also liked the main character, prickly Nick Guthrie a gay police officer and 'Vee' who has some issues around forming personal relationships. The intricate dance that is the development of his relationship with Dr Anton Marber was, for me, the main pleasure of the story.

The main reason for the comparatively low rating is
Sho
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, m-m
First I was somewhat confused about what Nick was. Since I read a lot of urban fantasy, I just assumed at the beginning he was a vampire cop. It is a fascinating concept this "virus" as a cure to cancer and deadly diseases. Just that part is different but everything else is the same in this world.

The crimes and the reasons Nick and Anton meet are just a side story. And the identity of the serial killer is somewhat predictable. It doesn't matter! The best part of the story is the gradual emotion
willaful
Police Constable Nick Guthrie is a vampire -- or as he prefers, a "vee" -- in a world in which that doesn't mean a whole lot. No superhuman strength or supernatural powers-- just embarrassing fangs that most vees have capped, the need for a liquid diet, and immunity from disease. For Nick, it's just one more reason to throw himself into work and give up on having a social life. Even the delightful and persistent biologist Dr. Anton Marber finds it hard to tempt him into anything more than one ni ...more
Lynxie
Nick Guthrie is a likeable, unlikable character. I adored the fact that the main character is a gay 'vee' copper with issues, but he certainly did his best to push people away, the reader included!

The premise is strong, the murder mystery is twisted and complicated, but the overshadowing of appropriate footwork by the police and clear information helped the story along well. I was initially a little lost with all of the acronyms, there were a lot! This could be confusing for readers.

Pacing was
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Read it right after the start of the new year. I liked it; there was a good balance of mystery, death, the internal issues stopping the MC from opening himself up, and the romance. The treatment that turns terminally ill people into vampire-esque beings was inventive, too.

I bought the bundle of all three parts of the series and am looking forward to continuing it.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Wow do I love Ann Somerville's writing style. I can't understand why she's not on everybodys to-read list. This is a mystery, with a reality twist and a sweet love story thrown in. Nick & Anton are an honest couple. Sex is the not the star connecting is. Double Yum!
Denise
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Quick and entertaining mystery & M/M romance read with a unique twist on vampires. Would have enjoyed it more had I not found both Nick and Anton extremely irritating at times.
Meggie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
This story was well plotted and written. I liked the mystery around the killer and how Anton slowly but steadily got under Nicks skin. I liked it a lot.
Lady*M
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it

It was really difficult for me to rate this story. I like Somerville's writing a lot and I was additionally tickled by the Britishness of the book. I also liked her original take on "vampirism". But, unlike in the author's other books (and I didn't read only one or two), I couldn't connect with the protagonists and the resolution of the mystery and their relationship left me rather cold. I think it was partially due to Nick's narrative voice - very disconnected, dispassionate, even when
Dumbledore11214
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, gay-romance
I know you guys pretty much expect me to say that about this writer's works, but I cant help myself I just do love most of her works. There are only two of her books I did not much care for (did not hate but did not care as much as about others) and this one is not one of them. I thought Nick and Anton were awesome, i thought they had some real flaws (and no, those flaws would not be not knowing how awesome they are) and still likeable. I mean, I wished Anton's analyzing brain just knew where to ...more
Lori
Ann Somerville never disappoints when it comes to solid writing, snappy dialogue and interesting characters. While this book had all of those elements, I had a hard time warming up to the main character. When Nick's brain tumor fails to respond to conventional protocols he's given a highly controversial treatment that effectively makes him bullet proof to ever getting sick again. The downside is that he grows fangs and has to live on synthetic blood. He becomes bitter and withdraws from life, in ...more
Alysa H.
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is basically a police novel, a serial murder mystery in which a young London copper tries to solve a case that he feels close to because, like the victims, he is gay. Oh, and almost incidentally, they are all "vees" -- not vampires in any supernatural sense, but simply regular people who require a diet of blood as the result of a having undergone a cutting edge, life-saving medical treatment.

So, this is a police procedural with a sci-fi edge, and also a M/M romance, as our gay vee copper he
Tamela
I must say I loved the premise... the cure for cancer is a virus that gives the patient the side effect of requiring blood in their diet.

Great characters as well, loved Nick and Anton. Well, Anton can be a tad nosey, okay REALLY nosey, but it comes from a caring heart, so I let it slide and so did Nick.

Good mystery also, the murderer didn't send up a flag in the first couple pages.

This one goes on my-6-star-favs shelf and I've got the next book already loaded on my Kindle. Highly Recommended.
Seeilin
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Okay... that was bad - as in "my issues, not yours"
I just couldn't connect to the Mc's, the vees and I was too.fucking.confused.
There were so many shortings: starting with DC and CCTV? I still have to clue what the later is suppossed to mean.
This story could have been good. The premise was there and then went down the drain in anger, self-pity and a serial killer with issues.
I have issues. The MC have them. Let's just call this book an issue in need of betas and/or an editor. Sometimes explanat
clear skies
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I am currently reading the bumper edition and overall I really liked the book except the end. I'd probably rate this book a 1/2 star more in actuality. It is well-written with strong characters but I wish the end didn't stumble to a finish. It seemed like the author realised she was going over her word-limit. It just seemed all rushed and the relationship between Nick and Anton at the end seemed a bit forced.
Miche D
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting but felt a lot more less delved into than her other books. Felt too much was left unsaid.
Moniqee
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is the way Ann takes her time in explaining the situation, vampire syndrome ( never thought of it ) makes the plot interesting though the relationship is a little too fast to my liking.
Misha Hamu
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic, and funny, and touching.

A bit contrived at times.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Patricia Lynne
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review here.
Michael Joseph
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-speculative
My review of all three books of this series can be found on my blog.
Jane (PS)
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm

I liked the premise and execution of this book. Not a great deal of romance, but a good short story. I'll definitely read the next book.
Sandra
Jul 25, 2014
Hawley
Jul 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Spirit Sanguine (Sanguine, #1)
  • Midnight (Dance with the Devil, #3)
  • Hemovore
  • Dawn of Darkness (Daeva, #1)
  • Twice-Caught (Tarin's World, #2)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Forgotten Soul (Soul Reader, #1)
  • Frank-in-Love (Frank-in-Love, #1)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • The Severing (The Severing #1)
  • Blurring the Lines (Blurring the Lines, #1)
  • Crying For The Moon
Ann Somerville grew up in one of Australia’s prettiest small cities. In 1989, she left Australia with a BA and a burning ambition to see more of the world and its people, and to discover this ‘culture’ thing people kept telling her about. In 2006, she returned home to Southeast Queensland with two more degrees (this time in science and IT), an English husband and a staggering case of homesickness, ...more
More about Ann Somerville...

Unnatural Selection (4 books)
  • Every Move You Make (Unnatural Selection #2)
  • Next of Kin (Unnatural Selection #3)
  • Unnatural Selection Collection (complete series bundle)

“...our witness, one Edward Littleton, was as gay as Elton John's handbag.” 2 likes
“It would be perfect if they could make it taste like water, but pretending that something that laden with chemicals is somehow remotely connected to fruit or sunshine or chirpy rugrats adds insult to the injury of needing to drink the damn stuff in the first place.” 0 likes