Start by marking “Code Three” as Want to Read:
Code Three

Read Book* *Different edition

Code Three

FREEWAYS TO HELL Ben Martin and Clay Ferguson have got a tough job. In Car 56 -- "Beulah" -- they patrol the super-highways of a future that might have been. Along with Medical-Surgical Officer Kelly Lightfoot, they help keep an insane road system as safe as possible. Here is a startling and excitingly realistic portrait of regular folks in a future extrapolated from a tim ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Aegypan (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Code Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Code Three

Manny
Jun 14, 2013 Manny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Highway patrolmen
Shelves: science-fiction
- Say, I just had a thought.

- Like, why not get another round?

- No, dumbass, a thought thought.

- Out with it, buddy.

- So all of us here are science-fiction writers.

- That's your thought?

- Quit interrupting. We write all these stories. And the hero's always, you know, some scientist or astronaut or warlock or galactic emperor or something...

- What's your point?

- Why not some more ordinary profession?

- I dunno. 'Cause it'd be boring? Anyway, what profession?

- Hm... well... say... highway patrolm
Debbie Zapata
The North American Continental Thruway is a road system that stretches coast to coast across the USA, and from the southern-most point of Mexico all the way up to Alaska. Each 'artery' is five miles wide. Yes, five miles wide! With different lanes for the different rates of speed the almost-flying cars of the time can maintain. Naturally, there has to be some some of control and patrol on such a thruway, and that is where Beulah comes in.

I love Beulah. Listen to this: She was sixty feet long, tw
Michael
Rick Raphael only wrote a handful of stories, mainly in the 60s. His speciality was writing about ordinary people doing a professional job coping with futuristic problems. In one of his other stories 'The Thirst Quenchers' his heroes are hydrologists working to conserve water for an overpopulated country. Code Three speculates what kind of job traffic cops will have to do to keep the super speed highways of the future safe. The story takes a ride with a three person team on a routine three week ...more
Kamas Kirian
I liked it. It seemed to have a few too many lists/descriptions at the beginning, but once past that the action flowed pretty good. I liked the three main characters, their interactions seemed believable, though not all that deep. I'm not so sure about the vehicles as described, but they worked within the story. It was well paced and action packed.

One of the things I really enjoy about these old Hugo nominated stories is that the story actually moves along, people do stuff besides simply exist.
Heather
Goofy 60s-era SF.
 ☆Ruth☆
May 02, 2015 ☆Ruth☆ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2015
I first read this interesting short story as a teenager and it made a lasting impact, so when I came across a copy recently I was keen to see how I would feel about it second time around.
The story is based around a futuristic police vehicle and its crew with a backdrop many years hence, when American interstates have become cross-continental super highways, where traffic is travelling up to and in excess of 400 mph. Each crew mans a cutting edge land-cruiser, the size of a small boat, to deal w
S. Gilborson
The book is written in a peculiar style; rather than describe, Raphael is content to just tell the reader.

Nothing really seems to happen as the book doesn't follow a set narrative but instead outlines a series of related and unrelated events; for me, this was a world to inhabit rather than a story to follow. It took some getting used to and some parts were more engaging than others.

The characters were great. The relationship between them was believable and as you were cooped up in the car with t
JT
Granted, I've only read the Shortstory, which makes up the first half of this listing. So far as I can tell, this is a thoroughly unremarkable police procedural, not materially improved by Raphael's vision of what a high-speed roadnet would looks like, and suffering from Values Dissonance all over the place as Society Marches On and pretty inadequate character development. 2 stars is generous - 1.5 is more like. Find something else to read.
Dale (Aus)
Sep 21, 2015 Dale (Aus) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a teenager and it has always stuck with me. Great ideas, great story.
Suzanne C. James
Suzanne C. James rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Bob Turvey
Bob Turvey rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Reg
Reg rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2017
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Jeff Goetter
Jeff Goetter rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Vincent
Vincent rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Ron Harvey
Ron Harvey rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
James
James rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Miguel Vargas
Miguel Vargas rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2015
Stavros Efraimidis
Stavros Efraimidis rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Lysergius
Lysergius rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Luigi
Luigi rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2012
Diana Thompson
Diana Thompson rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Gsv3miac
Gsv3miac rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Charl
Charl rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013