Start by marking “You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses” as Want to Read:
You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses

You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses

With simple instructions and bright, clear illustrations, award-winning artist Yoo invites children to enjoy yoga by assuming playful animal poses. And she sparks their imagination further by encouraging them to pretend to be the animal. Full color.
Published March 15th 2012 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses

Start your review of You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses
Sheri
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Animal inspired poses encourage children to move and stretch. A fun and playful introduction to yoga that adults and children can do together.
Kathleen Laratta
This was a fun one to use in storytime. It got us up and moving and we were able to talk about the animals.
Diane
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun way to introduce introductory yoga to students. Might even help to get the wiggles out during story times.
KC
A cute, imaginative, and wonderful introduction to the practice of yoga for beginners.
Angelina
Fun a simple yoga poses for kids.
Courtney
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chloe (via Dallas Montpetit), parents & teachers of young children.
Recommended to Courtney by: Came through at work.
Bright, cheerful illustrations make this book a great choice for teachers and parents of young children who want to encourage their charges to be physically active.

The book shows and describes a variety of fun yoga poses based on different animals. Young readers are encouraged to try the poses for themselves and to use their imaginations by pretending they are the animals who inspire the poses.

All of the poses described seem fairly easy to do, and are ones that many of the adult readers might be
Christine Turner
With simple instructions and bright, clear illustrations, award-winning artist Taeeun Yoo invites children to enjoy yoga by assuming playful animal poses. And she sparks their imagination further by encouraging them to pretend to be the animal - to flutter like a butterfly, hiss like a snake, roar like a lion and more. Yoga is great for kids because it promotes flexibility and focus - and it's relaxing good fun! The charming pictures of children and animals and the lyrical text make this gentle ...more
Kathryn
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Filled with several of the most common yoga poses that are child-friendly, this book makes each move come alive as it first shows a child doing the yoga pose (snake, cat, dog, lion, butterfly, frog) then shows the child and animals themselves in that pose in the wild. (I'm not describing this well, but you can get an idea of it from the cover art.) I really enjoyed this book and think that, for what it does, it is excellent. It does a good job conveying the feeling and "essence" of yoga in a ...more
Jessica
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-online
I feel bad admitting this, but at first I thought this book was a joke. I mean do they really make you stick your tongue out during yoga?

But I changed my mind. This probably is a great way to introduce children to yoga or trying something new. I looks relaxing, easy enough that a child can follow along and the pictures illustrate how to do the poses correctly. I've never tried yoga, and this book didn't make a lasting impression on my life, but if my children brought it home from the school
Sharon
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute picture book for ages 3 to 5. It has a gentle introduction to several basic yoga poses. The illustrator did a great job, with bright colors and soothing, yet playful animal poses that mimic the butterfly, dog, cat, snake, frog, and lion. The illustrations and prose will inspire kids to try the poses, promoting focus and flexibility. A fun read to bring out the best in a child, in a calm and joyful manner.
Treasure
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simple yoga poses for young children are featured in this nicely illustrated picture book. Children of a variety of ethnic backgrounds are shown imitating animals while doing yoga poses. The instructions in both words and pictures are easy to follow and children will love trying out the poses and animal noises. Parents who do yoga will especially enjoy sharing this with their children, though it is easily enjoyable for anyone and would make a great story time book.
(Puget Sound Council review)
Stephanie Croaning
This is a different kind of interactive picture book. It is meant to introduce children to some basic yoga poses. It reads like a story, and the illustrations show how the child should position their body, and then it provides an animal name for each pose. It's a fun and different idea! This would make an interesting read-aloud for younger grades, I'm thinking kindergarten. It gets them moving and is a fun way to read!
Amy Formanski Duffy
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just saw this at the library and I want to buy it for my son when he gets a bit older. So cute.
Stephanie
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: wegivebooks.org
Shelves: children-s
What a cute book to introduce children to yoga. Definitely read to do this regularly.
Jason Smith
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ok-books
This is a great book if you want to teach yoga skills to your class in a fun way. It features various yoga poses combined with fun animals to make stretching fun. I once substituted briefly for a second grade class that did yoga after lunch and if I had this book in my class I could emulate that. The illustrations are very nice. The medium is a thinner glossy paper that shows colors very well and when you open the book the end pages show a montage of different yoga poses. The book has a motif ...more
K
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable! It walks children through an entire yoga sequence and has them imagine themselves as animals as they do the yoga poses. First, children pretend they are a lion, then a butterfly, a frog, a dog, and a snake. Finally before resting, they become a mountain as they do a sun salutation.

I was struck at how rarely some of the words used would appear in a children's book. For example, words like heels, squat, kneel, mew, and palms. There is unusual vocabulary, and just enough. I
Tracey
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
picture book (yoga for littles; toddler/preschool)
Occasionally I like to pull out a yoga pose or two to do with my toddler group, and this book has nice pictures that demonstrate simple poses that they can do, using language that they can understand. Diversity note: 3 of the children are white, 1 is black, 1 is asian and 1 is a dark-skinned boy with straightish dark hair (which can be interpreted a number of different ways).
Aolund
Entrancing illustrations (though why the choice to have 3 white kids and 3 kids representing all other races?) and poetic, spare text which leads children through various yoga poses while they imagine themselves lions, snakes, cats, mountains, etc. Better in a small group, because the children will need space to move and stretch out.

Themes: Animals, Mindfulness, Peace, Movement
Laura Dudzinski
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I used this cute book for a preschool age Yoga Story Time. It is nice story with wonderful illustrations. The story incorporates some fun, easy yoga moves that the kids enjoyed. It is a good introduction to yoga for the little ones. At the end of the program, a few of the parents checked out or ordered a copy to read and stretch again with their children.
Angela
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to yoga for young kids. The various poses are explained in simple steps and are easy to imitate. The page breaks before revealing the animal's name make a fun guessing game for storytime audiences. The writing is filled with elegant, descriptive language that reads almost like poetry. I love the diversity of children modeling the poses.
Eva_Amaré
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: y
Any book that asks us to stick our tongues out and roar like a lion or makes us wiggle around on the ground like a snake is a 5 star no brainer. Mama said we're doing an exercise called yoga. If all exercise is this much fun, sign us up. Namaste. ...more
Vivian
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little ones will enjoy posing as a lion, a butterfly, a dog, a snake, a frog, a cat, and a mountain. Each pose is accompanied by a verse, instructive illustrations, and a big double-page imagination illustration.
Kris Dersch
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidslit, picture-book
What a fun and cute way to introduce yoga! Some back matter might have helped but honestly the text does a really nice job of explaining the poses so all the adult would really need to do is define the words yoga and namaste. Adorable.
Kimberly
This was surprisingly a big hit in storytime today! I was wondering how this mixed-age storytime would go, and there were four or five little ones who totally owned the yoga poses. The rest of the kids just followed along!
Mary Ann
Reprinted as board book. I like how the simple text and the colorful, child-centered & imaginative illustrations translate to the board book format. This would work well for families and toddlers that practice yoga together.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun story showing seven simple-to-do yoga poses for children to try. Lovely illustrations.
Krissy Neddo
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Good introduction for ages 2-5. Illustrations are of young preschoolers.
Carrie
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely and very simple explanation of yoga poses for young children.
Seema Rao
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a nice visualization of classic Yoga poses. Works well for kids who are already familiar with yoga.
Trish
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, je
This is a book of yoga poses for kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Another
  • Bilal Cooks Daal
  • Hungry Jim
  • Birdsong
Taeeun Yoo was born in Korea and grew up in Seoul in her grandfather's beautiful garden-house. She was raised in a large traditional family with nine members and remembers many fun stories. Growing up, she watched her great-grandmother make traditional Korean costumes, and watched her grandfather carefully observe his orchids and bonsai. Now her grandfather often appears in her illustrations.

She