Start by marking “The Buddha Is Still Teaching: Contemporary Buddhist Wisdom” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Buddha Is Still Te...

Jack Kornfield

The Buddha Is Still Teaching: Contemporary Buddhist Wisdom

When the Buddha set in motion the wheel of Dharma, he knew that the teaching he gave was inexhaustible—that every future generation would find its own skillful ways to convey it to the hearts and minds of those ready to hear. The Buddha Is Still Teaching is testimony to the fulfillment of that promise today. The selections it contains, from today’s most highly regarded con

Published March 15th 2011 by Shambhala Publications, Inc. (first published October 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Buddha Is Still Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buddha Is Still Teaching

Steve Woods
A daily reading has become an essential part of my practice and my life. This collection by Jack Kornfield has provided a trove of short readings that I use daily to remind me of the quality, the timbre I should seek to create for my life as I live it. These diamonds of the spirit inspire, uplift and support. They are balm on the bad days and fuel for my determination to persist...on the good days they send my mind and spirit soaring in the realization that I am not alone and never have been, th ...more
Tommy
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific collection of quotes, thoughts, parables, koans, and lessons from a variety of Buddhist teachers: The XIV Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, Pema Chodron, Ram Dass, Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, Tara Brach, Noah Levine, and other notable teachers and practitioners.

Perfect for on-the-go or daily contemplation. Each passage is only a few lines, a page at the most, so it makes for a great morning or evening bedside or meditation cushion companion.
Clifford
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The contents, of course, are five star. I think the book could use a little context, though. It's organized into 4 sections (Wise Understanding; Compassion and Courage; Freedom; Enlightenment and the Bodhisattva Path), but to be useful to a casual reader I think each of the sections could have used an introduction to the topic.
Sara
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book during one of my darkest hours, and it helped me bring myself back to the light. The passages are potent, thoughtful, profound, and exactly what I needed to help me put things back in perspective. This is the kind of book I will go back to be again and again, just flipping through the various selections. Wonderfully done.
Wit
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great 'sampler' of some of the best authors, teachers and practitioners in Buddhism. Each sample is one to two page 'snippets' of their own writings on display for you to peruse at your leisure. Great for subway or bus reading when you don't have a lot of time to get too engrossed in a read. It's a great way to get acquainted with some teachers and other writings that you might never come across otherwise. This is also the type of book you don't have to read linearly so you can h ...more
Chrissy
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an awesome collection of anecdotes from many Buddhists authors. Each excerpt is just short enough, yet rich enough to capture the essence of the larger book it was drawn from. This book took many weeks for me to read simply because after each page, I needed to ponder and really consider the wisdom in each message. I still refer to this often for inspiration and for my mental list of books that I'd like to read in their entirety someday.
Roben
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As another reviewer said, I marked this book as read, but will keep close for regular reconsideration. Short and dear entries from the great practitioners...a great help.
Jennifer Campaniolo
A good primer for people looking for new Buddhist authors to read.
B.
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one, but buyer beware: this is a compilation of many great writers and scholars on the topic of Buddhism.
I listened on audio and found myself often time scrambling for a pen in the car to write down which author or book a certain pearl cake from 😬 I think this book is an excellent repository for Buddhist knowledge in “fun size” bites.
Sandra
At some point I will read this book and then will probably like it more. I listened to it thinking I would hear Jack'e voice but it is another reader and he sounded waaaay too dramatic to me. Couldn't stand that voice!
Ricardo Oliveira
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Modern times well-being philosophy. Great texts very good to remember every now and then.
Colleen
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I checked this book out from the library and enjoyed reading it. Every page feels comforting. It's actually the kind of book that one might want to own. I think I'd like appreciate it on my coffee or bedside table. Some teachings I liked very much are as follows: "Your mind is all stories" [Dipa Ma, p. 146].
"When the mind is silent, not seeking anything, it is possible to see what is true. And it is the truth that liberates, not your efforts to be free" [J. Krishnamurti, p. 342].
"You only arrive
Ammon
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a WONDERFUL book. It is a collection of short principles and parables that address modern challenges and ideals. They are pulled from numerous other books, several of which I have ordered to read in full... because the information was just so interesting and calming and good.

Lovely is the word to describe this collection.
Jane
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good early morning reading. I read one or two a day, so I get my dose of Buddhism, being present, letting go...every morning. Some of these short pieces are passages I'd like to save and reread. I may need to buy this book, not merely borrow it from the library.
Jack
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice collection, ranging from the secular to the deeply religious, at least as Western thought understands the latter. The proofreading left much to be desired, but that's a very minor objection.
Scott
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mark this book as 'read' though I doubt I will put it down for awhile. The one to two page snippets are generally enlightening...I would suggest reading only a couple a day, giving yourself something to think on.
Kathy
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
Lee had warned me that this was just quotes and short notes and stories from various authors and books. Even still, I found it soothing and inspiring to read through.
Stephanie
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would read again.
Ian
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a nice collection of quotes from Jacks favorite authors.
Rachel Morley
A nice collection of quotes, thoughts and stories about mindfulness. A grounding, thought provoking and peaceful read.
Tyrone Martin
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked it quite a bit and it filled my heads with more quotes
Cherie
Lots of great inspirational and thought-provoking short Buddhist selections. Lots of great Buddhist thinkers in here.
Wilma Rebstock
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The teachings in this book are profound. I wish I could say I had a complete understanding of them.
Diane Burgbacher
I will definitely read this one again and again!
Jen Kidwell Meyer
  • Blue Jean Buddha: Voices of Young Buddhists
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • Eastern Wisdom, Modern Life: Collected Talks 1960-1969
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
Jack Kornfield trained as a Buddhist monk in the monasteries of Thailand, India and Burma. He has taught meditation internationally since 1974 and is one of the key teachers to introduce Buddhist mindfulness practice to the West. He began his training after graduating from Dartmouth College in Asian Studies in 1967. Then he joined the Peace Corps and was assigned to the Public Health Service in no ...more
“The goal of practice is always to keep our beginner’s mind.” 0 likes