Start by marking “Have a Little Faith: a True Story” as Want to Read:
Have a Little Faith: a True Story

Have a Little Faith: a True Story

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  76,764 ratings  ·  5,071 reviews

In Have a Little Faith, Mitch Albom offers a beautifully written story of a remarkable eight-year journey between two worlds--two men, two faiths, two communities--that will inspire readers everywhere.

Albom's first nonfiction book since Tuesdays with Morrie, Have a Little Faith begins with an unusual request: an eighty-two-year-old rabbi from Albom's old hometown asks him

Published September 29th 2009 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Have a Little Faith, please sign up.
Alex Iannarelli It’s good reading for you early 20 when they are trying to find there faith and them self. In a time when they might need a little guidance in there l…moreIt’s good reading for you early 20 when they are trying to find there faith and them self. In a time when they might need a little guidance in there life after collage if before the start.. but it could be good for any age (less)
Maddie This isn't a qualified answer, but my belief is that the Reb chose Mitch because he has seen him before in their town and at church. Maybe because his…moreThis isn't a qualified answer, but my belief is that the Reb chose Mitch because he has seen him before in their town and at church. Maybe because his personality was the right fit for what the Reb wanted, or because the Reb had seen Mitch before. Again, I am NOT sure. (less)

·  76,764 ratings  ·  5,071 reviews

Start your review of Have a Little Faith: a True Story
Shani
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"In the beginning, there was a question.
"In the end, the question gets answered." - Mitch Albom

I just finished reading Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom. I'm not sure why I picked up this novel to read. Perhaps I was bored and needed something to do, perhaps I was looking for something to feel a void; or perhaps, just perhaps, I needed a little bit of faith.

Have a Little Faith is an amazing story about a Rabbi, a Christian Minister, and a man with very little faith. This book will take you thro
Ahmad Sharabiani
Have a Little Faith: The Story of a Last Request, Mitch Albom

Moving between their worlds, Christian and Jewish, African-American and white, impoverished and well-to-do, Albom observes how these very different men employ faith similarly in fighting for survival: the older, suburban rabbi embracing
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The thing about Mitch is that he is ever so much too syrupy, almost but not quite dripping from the page.

Not overly melodramatic, or too nostalgic or sentimental, not even really distasteful, I like his writing, but just a little too much. Like a glass of sweet tea that is just too full of sugar, needs a good squirt of lemon to knock it down a bit.

Having said that, I like Albom and his writing. I like that he's a baseball fan. He's worldly, observant and funny - he's a sportswriter after all,
Nancy
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I assumed this would be a typical Mitch Albom book, sentimental with "profound" life advice. I feel like it's un-American not to read these short best selling books about finding what ever it is he is selling. I was correct. But I had forgotten how his simple story telling can get to your soul; the real reason these books are so successful. This one doesn’t disappoint. To me it was much less about the two men he learns from and more about his insight into himself. Maybe it’s because we are so cl ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
I didn't love it as much as I did the other books by Mitch Albom but this one is still worth reading. ...more
☮Karen
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several years after Mitch Albom spent his Tuesdays with the famous Morrie, he began spending time with Albert Lewis. Albert was his childhood rabbi, and sometime after Albom stopped going to temple, Albert surprised him with a request that Albert's eulogy be delivered by Albom. Albom didn't feel qualified but obligingly accepted the challenge, provided they became better acquainted. The eight years they spent visiting and talking, along with each of their separate histories, are recounted.

Their
Sheryl
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One word - Amazing!

I'm really glad I chose to get the book. It was a very insightful and thought provoking read for me. Many parts of the book moved me to tears, and I loved the sermons. I could relate them with everyday life! I don't believe in any religion, so I started reading with a little trepidation, afraid it would start talking about converting etc. But boy was I wrong! This book is about faith, not just any specific religion.. but believing in something bigger than yourself. It'll make
Amy
I knew this book was on my TBR for a reason. What a gem it was. What a beautiful moving book. I’m so glad the autobiography challenge gave me the opportunity to read it. As they say, timing is everything.

Premise: A young man, writer, journalist, and documenter of life journeys, is asked by his childhood rabbi to write his eulogy. Thus begins an 8 year journey where he tries to learn about the man behind the pulpit, and to ask questions about how faith is developed and sustained. During these con
K.D. Absolutely
My fourth Mitch Albom and he is still to disappoint. Quick read but I found myself still pausing every now and then as I had to digest his words. The writing is Hallmark-card perfect but who hated receiving and reading Hallmark cards? I definitely recall with fondness those years when I used to receive greeting cards on special occasions.

Albom is the guy in the current mainstream writers. His works are all bestsellers and have been translated in many languages, sold in many countries and made in
Friar Stabin John Capuchin
It is with grace of Jesus we all are saved.
A book that gifted me lot of amazing moments. Wonderfully written about lives. The Jewish Rabbi, Christian Pastor and many more lives. It is a book which can provide you lot of stunning moments. The two rebs of this novel made me think about my own life. To think about past and crying always is the worse thing in our life but this book gives a positive energy to go ahead and do the best in present. Do your best with the present so you may be happy in yo
Mark John
One of my favorite lines from this book is “No matter which road you decide to take on your life's journey, just make sure God is an intimate part of it”. God gave us the will to choose whether to be good or to be bad, he proved how good He is. Becoming good or bad is always a choice but what we need to remember is God is always there to accept who we are, even though we made sins and troubles from our past, we’re not perfect we all know that and God also know that. Like what is being introduced ...more
Sue
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I purchased "Have a Little Faith" by Mitch Albom, after receiving a recommendation to read this book.This was such an uplifting novel that I couldn't put down.Such an emotional rollercoaster.I felt so good after reading this novel."Have a little Faith" is a true story nonfiction book that can open your eyes and heart, and allow you to realize how precious life is.It is about believing in something and the two men who taught him how.

The novel centers around three people:Mitch, a jewish man who in
Joy D
In this non-fiction, a combination of memoir and biography, the author chronicles portions of the lives of two very different men: one is his family’s rabbi and the other an African American Christian pastor. Rabbi Albert Lewis has asked Albom to write and deliver his eulogy when the time comes. Pastor Henry Covington, after a former life of drugs, crime, and prison, has given his life to Jesus and runs a dilapidated mission in an inner-city section of Detroit. These two intertwined stories info ...more
Owlseyes

Just watched the movie. It's about two parallel (real) stories; one on Rabbi Albert L. Lewis; the other on Henry Covington. The sportswriter is the intersecting point. He's been asked an eulogy by the Rabbi; yet, he'll get to know also a former drug-dealer and drug-addict, Henry Covington, now a minister in a Presbyterian, Detroit church, crumbling apart. While collecting data from the Rabbi's life, the sportswriter will witness change in himself.

The church gets rebuilt.
Life takes on a n
Elyse  Walters
This was 'almost' as good as "Tuesdays With Morrie". (both books being true stories)

I read it when it came out. Its a human'gem' of a story!
Michelle
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just what I needed to lift my spirit!
Soplada
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Partially this book holds the same journey as the one with the professor Morrie Schwartz in Tuesdays with Morrie but here it has more a religious message which I found so many resembling spiritual values in my religion like: loving every person, giving, caring and turning to God whatever the situation is. I found Sami Yusuf New Song which celebrates The World Interfaith Harmony Week 2015 is a big match for this faithFULL book:
Shelah
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Originally posted at Feminist Mormon Housewives.

When I was in Young Women’s, it seemed that whenever our planned Mutual activities fell apart, the go-to Plan B was to pull some Books of Mormon out of a storage closet and have us write our testimonies in them. At that time in my life, I had zero qualms about standing in front of a congregation on Fast Sunday and bearing my testimony, or talking in a fireside about my conversion to the gospel, but for some reason my mind always blanked when it cam
Hazem Walid
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
" In the beginning, there was a question.
Will you do my eulogy?"

This novel has stayed with me longer than it should, I always seemed to read a few pages and leave it be then come at it all over again.
But I like to believe that the ideal situation is when everything comes at its own at its perfect timing and my reading of this novel at that time was, indeed, the perfect time for it to be read.
The story of the novel is so simplistic, but again, in my personal opinion, simplicity has always led to
Nicole
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. I love the way Albon brought the two stories of different faiths together. It certainly made me appreciate the little things in life a lot more and also, not sweat the small stuff. It drew me closer to my faith and appreciate and respect faiths of friends and family that are different from mine. After all, we all pray to the same God, we just do it a little differently. If you have questions about your own faith or in faith overall, this book is a must read. It touched on so many ...more
Beatrice Masaluñga
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beatrice by: Angelique Jader
In this book, Two people are involved (not including Mitch Albom), Mr. Albert Lewis- or "The Reb" as he called who is a Pastor, and requests Mitch to do his Eulogy when the time he will leave this world, and Henry Covington, who is a criminal and drug addict, he lost his faith that's why he is doing such bad acts until the time that he need God's Help and became a Pastor after realizing his sins. Also a little story from Cass who is homeless.

It's my first time to read a Non-Fiction book, but I
Karen R
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had two books left to read this year to meet my Goodreads reading challenge goal of 80 books. So, i pulled this slim book off the shelf. Wow, it packs a punch and turned out to be one of the best books I have read this year. During a time when I find myself questioning my faith, this book was just what my soul needed.
Michelle
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, audio
I read Tuesdays with Morrie several years ago, and I found it touching, but I'm not sure I would say I loved it. I'm not sure why. It's been too long for me to recall the specifics. However, I did love this.

Recently, I've decided I want to spend my time on the road listening to things that are perhaps more enlightened than the latest thriller or romance or even the a.m. radio crew. And so I happened across this on the library shelves, and decided it might be uplifting. It was.

It isn't that it sa
Julie
I'm in awe of Albom's writing style. He uses simple, easy-to-read words, and manages to convey the nuances of everything from mourning to elation. While I was reading Have a Little Faith, I found myself both emotional and pensive, pondering over the questions that Albom himself struggled with: Why do good things happen to bad people? Is there really a God? Why do people choose to go into the ministry? Can people really, fundamentally change? Heavy stuff, but it doesn't really feel that way as yo ...more
April Lusaya
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
touching, inspiring, enlightening...
Brian
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
For most of the time I spent reading this book, I hated it. It struck me as a simple, feel-good story about a journey to faith. It felt like Mitch Albom was encouraging people to accept religion because it made these simple people feel good and be happy. To me, he was encouraging people to throw up their arms and place everything on faith rather than taking a moment to come up with their own thoughts for once. I stand by all of those feelings.

However, at the very end, Albom’s message became very
Shelley
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I cried.
5 hours ago I felt that this was one of the best books I ever read.
Now.......I question it, because I just had book club and this reaction was not felt by everyone else. But I question everything I feel, and this book did teach me not to do that.
This book taught me a lot about myself and about how to listen to others. That it's worth taking 10 minutes of your day to talk with a stranger, to listen to a friend, to call someone you haven't in a long time.
I wondered why this book touched me
Carole
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
There were many touching and compassionate moments in Have a Little Faith that reminded me about the power of love and faith. There was a quote that personally touched me very deeply as it reminded me of my mother after her massive stroke. Albom says of “The Reb”, Rabbi Albert Lewis after he became incapacitated due to what they'd thought was a stroke, “What do you do when you lose a loved one too quickly? When you have no time to prepare before, suddenly, that soul is gone?” I found that profou ...more
Akaash Kumar
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith is arguably one of the most difficult things for a person to hold on to. Like a fistful of sand being held in the ocean, it is easily washed away. After all, how does one hold onto faith when they're faced with the prospect of drowning? When no matter how close they get to the shore, the current pulls them right back in?

Albom seeks to address this question in charting the lives of two people: The Reb, his childhood Rabbi; and Henry Covington, a reformed drug-addict, turned Pastor. The sto
Shubham  Goel
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The book will give a slight reminder of another lovely book called Tuesdays with Morrie.
Today we like to call ourselves an atheist. We enjoy questioning the existence of God. We love to talk about science and how frivolous the notion of God is but silently we pray when we seek help.
Mitch is a classic example of a modern man who is so busy in life that religion is no more on his to-do list.

The book shows the key role played by Faith in our lives. It is not something which can be forced instead i

• Mitch Albom's Tuesdays With Morrie
  • The Last Lecture
  • The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto: A Novel by Mitch Albom | Summary & Analysis
  • The First Phone Call From Heaven: by Mitch Albom -- Review
  • I Grew My Boobs in China (Sihpromatum #1)
  • Morrie: In His Own Words
  • When Bad Things Happen to Good People
  • Ang Pagwawakas Ika-limang Bahagi  (I Love You Since 1892 , #5)
  • Pamamaalam Ika-apat na Bahagi  (I Love You Since 1892 , #4)
  • Hustisya Ikatlong Bahagi  (I Love You Since 1892 , #3)
  • El Tiempo Cura Todo (I Love You Since 1892, #7)
  • The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven: A Remarkable Account of Miracles, Angels, and Life beyond This World
  • The Purple Nightgown (True Colors)
  • The Motley Fool Guide to Investing for Beginners
  • The Steel Dragon (Steel Dragons, #2)
  • The Humanity of Muhammad: A Christian View
  • Marriage and Mutton Curry
  • Suits and Spark Plugs
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.