Start by marking “How to Kill a Monster (Goosebumps, #46)” as Want to Read:
How to Kill a Monster (Goosebumps, #46)

How to Kill a Monster (Goosebumps #46)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  3,906 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Gretchen and Clark are staying with their grandparents, and they're not alone. They've got to kill the swamp monster who lives in a locked room upstairs before he eats them out of house and home.
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about How to Kill a Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Kill a Monster

Carmen
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
I stared up into his hideous face - and gasped.

His eyes were deep, dark pools - with tiny worms swimming in them!

Ew, nasty.
...

Okay, this is a little different from regular Goosebumps books - the monster shows up early, about 55% of the way through the novel.

Gretchen and her stepbrother Clark (I think this is the second Goosebumps books where there are divorced parents), are being unceremoniously dropped off at their grandma and grandpa's house in Georgia.

They are shocked to find that their grand
Carmine
Ospite (in)desiderato al piano di sopra

Un mostro è rinchiuso al piano di sopra. I nonni danno da mangiare al mostro, povero cucciolo.

"Invitiamo a casa i nipotini, tanto che differenza fa cucinare per due persone in più? E andiamo a chiedere aiuto in paese, caro; ma ricordati di sbarrare porte e finestre...perché noi ci teniamo alla salute dei nostri nipotini. Bravo, chiudi per bene la porta, a prova di scasso!"

*E la lettera facciamogliela leggere quando i buoi sono già scappati dalla stalla,
M.K. Aneal
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
One of the better Goosebumps! Clean, no mystical or magical elements; just good fun with a monster xP A whole lot better than the show of the same. (:
David Santos
Nov 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
If I didn't have to review books for my website I'd just skip straight to the final 10 chapters.

The title of the book is boring which made the development of the plot drag on and on and on. The title doesn't start to make since until around page 82. Two children are left alone in a house with a monster....talk about child neglect sheesh. Anyways I'm glad the book only has 112 pages. Any more pages and I would have thrown myself out the window. A real borefest, not one of R.L.'s best work. I'd su
Glenn Smith
Jun 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

There's quite a difference between a fun, silly story for kids and just lazy writing. This book falls into the latter category. First of all, these have to be the worst grandparents in history. Who in their right mind would lock their grandchildren up in the house with a monster? And don't even get me started on how they end up "killing" the monster. I really hope this book wasn't written by Stine.

Read from June 24, 2014 - June 24, 2014
Alexandra
um. wtf

this one was r e a l l y stupid. that's the trouble with reading childhood books as an adult. they lose their luster. although, did i ever even like this one as a kid? who knows. i remember i had it in my collection but not much else.

so i know a lot of people complain about kids and YA books with missing or absent parents who leave the kids alone to do whatever the hell they want, and i get that that's sometimes necessary for the plot of the story to even take place. but these kid's pare
Ger Francus
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I've read it about a year or two ago, and just LOVED it! It's such a creepy, scary and thrilling story that I've read it in two days (and yeah, that's fast for me! ).

In don't want to spoil anything, but there's a huge and totally unexpected twist in the middle of the book, and you think; OMG, how will those two ever survive this? xD - You really want them to succeed, but they don't! You feel the struggle and them being so afraid, and just have no clue what to do... And that's
Sheila Beaumont
It's probably not among R.L. Stine's better efforts (of the few that I have read), but this story does have the distinction of featuring the worst, most neglectful grandparents ever. And I did like that, of the two 12-year-old step-siblings, Gretchen and Clark, unfortunate enough to be left in their care, the girl is the more adventurous and daring of the pair. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger, but I don't see any sign that there is a sequel. Since Gretchen was able to tell the story, I have ...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Το βιβλίο αυτό είναι κάπως διαφορετικό απ' ότι μας έχει συνηθίσει ο Stine, κάτι που κυρίως οφείλεται στο γεγονός πως το "τέρας" κάνει την εμφάνισή του από πολύ νωρίς και έχει ζωντανό, ενεργό ρόλο στο μεγαλύτερο μέρος αυτού. Ως υπόσταση, και όχι ως κάτι που υποθέτουμε πως υπάρχει. Βέβαια, το πιο ενδιαφέρον στοιχείο, νομίζω πως έχει να κάνει με την αίσθηση της αποκοπής του κεντρικού ήρωα από τον έξω κόσμο, που μειώνει τις πιθανότητές του να επιβιώσει. Δεν έχει σημασία που ξέρουμε πως θα τα καταφέρ ...more
Danny
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-books
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
K.D. Reed
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not quite as awesome as his other stuff, but still classic R.L. Stine
Writing/Style: 3/4
Characters: 2/4
Story: 2/4
Pacing: 4/4
Ending: 4/4
Total: 15/20
While I found the grandparents (their actions specifically) to be a tad unbelievable, and the exciting parts of the story a little repetitive, I still enjoyed the book. The ending, as always, didn't disappoint and I liked the dog. But who doesn't like a dog?
JJ
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: R.L. Stine Fans
Shelves: goosebumps, fantasy
Where is sequel?
Bob Gray
Que me he tirado todo el libro con mi sentido arácnido adquirido por jugar horas y horas a la Carta Blanca creyendo que lo iba a matar el perro de las narices y resulta que el final del monstruo es aún más patético
Aliya
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book because it was a book that I understood and enjoyed.Also if I had a chance to keep reading goosebumps I would cause I love those books.I would recommend this book to other people because I think they would like it cause I did.Once I started reading most of it i just wanted to keep reading it cause it was a good book.This book had me laugh a couple time cause the way they said things but on the other had I thought some of the parts weird.

There are the two kids, one Gretch
Ms.
May 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who loves suspenseful books
Recommended to Ms. by: no one
Shelves: grant-y
Kebo
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book is about a boy and his sister and they are at they grandparnets house.but the next day they hear something in the room upstair and there was something on the bed cover up and it was a monster. the monster chase them until they trap it.they made something up and the monster blow up.at night time they found another note and it said do not go outside at night because more of the monster come from the lake.
Ericjnunez
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK ALOT
αηηє-נéℓα ƒ
my review..... what i learned from this book... ummm. nothing. but its a classic absolutely classic. :P lol. ive been reading these since i was a child. :D
Sheila Halverson
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Band name.
Good book.
:]
Darius Surenian
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I Watched The Youtube Video About the Critic The Book Worm Expecting A Novel With Pure Suspense, A Great Climax, And An Untouched Ending. What I Got Was A Slow, Boring, And Uninteresting Story. The Book Worm Said That The Beginning Was A Bit Slow And When The Monster Of The Story Comes In It Creates Lots Of Suspense, Instead It Is Incredibly Slow Killing The Suspense And Making The Story Boring. The Story Does Not Deliver For A Great Goosebumps Story That Should Be One Of The Best, But It Does H ...more
Weathervane
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A joke in long-form; twist the punchline. Altogether silly, including the two letters gram and gramps write for the kids. You just knew the most important bit of information would be in the second, and that it would only come too late. Atmosphere was nice, and the family dynamics were okay. It never bored me. But one of those stories of whose existence you question the purpose. Even the monster was unremarkable.

A funny cornball sequence where the kids find every toxic chemical imaginable under t
Kat!e Larson
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I get that horror doesn’t have to have a solid ending but this one’s ending was straight up annoying. It basically stopped at the climax.

However, I did still enjoy this. I really wish I’d read these books as a kid, I would have adored them. This one made me laugh out loud (in a good way). And it actually had me on the edge of my seat at one point. Goosebumps are a lot of fun.
SundanceAnn
This book was the reason I'm reading the goosebumps series. I remember watching this episode gave me nightmares. It's been 15? 20? years since watching this goosebumps episode and I still remembered the plot completely. Because it's good!! I feel like good stories stay with the reader, and this one has with me.
Irham Nurrahman
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
(Baca Ulang)
Rating 3/5
Orangtua menitipkan anak-anaknya untuk menginap dirumah kakek neneknya
yang tinggal di tengah rawa tanpa sambungan telepon bahkan televisi dan jauh
dari tetangga,pasti yang terjadi adalah ... terjebak pada cerita Goosebumps
Dani Klein
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was my absolute favorite in the series I loved everything about this book.
Andrew
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Did not care for the first part, but the last part was scary and AWSOME!!!
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed going back to these after many years. I do hope my future children will get to enjoy these. What a great way to get into the Halloween spirit.
Femin Mary
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
read thy book
Tazz
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Totally hilarious, but a nice quick read
Bradly
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Simple read with the kids. Definitely not the creme of the crop.
  • The Escape (Animorphs, #15)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #5)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)