Start by marking “Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)

Welcome to Dead House

(Goosebumps #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  24,178 ratings  ·  1,266 reviews
Amanda and Josh think the old house they have just moved into is weird. Spooky. Possibly haunted. And the town of Dark Falls is pretty strange, too. — But their parents don't believe them. You'll get used to it, they say. Go out and make some new friends. — So Amanda and Josh do. But these creepy new friends are not exactly what their parents had in mind.

Because they want
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Dead House, please sign up.
N Check out your local library! It might be there and you can borrow it for free.

·  24,178 ratings  ·  1,266 reviews

Alejandro
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, horror, paranormal
Goosebumpy alright!

This is the first book of the original book series of “Goosebumps”

CREEPY GOOD BOOK

Obviously I wasn’t expecting a scary bloody tale, since this is Goosebumps, not H.P. Lovecraft, but I am glad to say that the book is quite well written, with an engaging narrative and a kinda of “cliffhanger” or “shocking last line” on each chapter making you to keep reading.

I found ingenious that the main character (and narrator of the story) is a teenage girl, due this is the first book of
Archit Ojha
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Alright ladies and gentlemen,

The first book of the fabled classic Goosebumps.

The house is a freebie. Is haunted.
The entire town is, as well. Two siblings discover that fears do come true.

Very well drawn up from the master of scare Mr. Stine.

The story bears a classic uniqueness of Stine but a cliffhanger ending is his trademark.

Turning back my high-school library years, it made my bone chill, yet again.

Take all the stars!
Rebecca McNutt
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.
From graphic descriptions of a family gnawing on moldy plates of human bones to a small town conspiring to murder the new family that has just moved into the creepiest house on the block, Welcome to Dead House easily could work as a standalone novel despite originally being marketed for children under the iconic and popular Goosebumps series. This bit of gothic supernatural horror is extremely dark and after backlash and censorship in the 1990's from horrified pare
Stepheny
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

When it comes to horror movies I like them the same way I like my pizza- extra cheesy. However, the same cannot be said of my horror books.

Back when I was a young lady little turd, my favorite place in the world was a tiny library in an old fashioned town called Henderson. My aunt lived up the road, and when I say up, I mean it literally. Once I had a bag full of books I had to lug them up a hill that felt like it would never end. My siblings and I spent a lot of time there in the summers becau
Hannah Greendale
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, horror
There's something off about the old house Amanda's dad inherited from a deceased uncle he's never heard of.

A cold breeze made me shiver. It was actually a beautiful, hot summer day. But the closer we got to the house, the colder I felt.

Welcome to Dead House offers a satisfying blend of camp and creepiness:

I started up the stairs and then stopped.
Above me on the landing stood a strange girl, about my age, with short black hair. She was smiling down at me, not a warm smile, not a friendly smil
Ahmad Sharabiani
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps #1), R.L. Stine
Amanda and Josh think the old house they have just moved into is weird. Spooky. Possibly haunted. And the town of Dark Falls is pretty strange, too. But their parents don't believe them. You'll get used to it, they say. Go out and make some new friends. So Amanda and Josh do. But these new friends are not exactly what their parents had in mind. Because they want to be friends... forever.
عنوانها: به خانه مرگ خوش آمدید؛ به خانه ی مردگان خوش آمدید؛ ا
James Trevino
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun little read. It reminded me of that Tales From the Crypt TV show I used to love as a kid. Yep, full on nostalgia hit! Plus bonus points for the cool cover. And yeah, I know that should't matter, but c'mon! Who doesn't love a nice cover?!
Anne
I read this because I promised my 11 year old that I would read it with him. He hates to read anything that isn't a comic book, or at the very least, in graphic novel format. Since he loves all things creepy, I thought that this would be a great way to finally get the kid to read something with actual chapters!
I think this is probably as close to perfect as it gets for a reluctant reader like my son. The chapter are short (two or three pages at the most), and yet packed with super-creepy stuff.
Anna
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Τιμή κ δόξα στην ελληνική εφορία που μου επέτρεψε σήμερα το πρωί να το διαβάσω ολόκληρο!!
Και την επιστροφή μου την πήρα και την περιπετειούλα μου απόλαυσα κ καλό καφέ ήπια.. όλα καλά!
Τουλάχιστον ήμουν σε καλύτερη μοίρα από τα παιδιά της περιπέτειας (αν κ εφορία κ σπίτι των νεκρών έναν παράξενο συνειρμό τον κάνει...)
Becky
So, my friend Stepheny put it out there that she wanted to read these this summer and was all...

I raised my hand. Because when I was a kid, I LOVED these books. They came out around the time I turned 10, and I was that kid who read anything and everything I could. I was the girl who WANTED reading homework. I looked forward to the Scholastic Book Fair all year long. I did the summer reading program and read circles around my classmates. By the time these books were being published, I was alread
Fuzaila
“We killed someone who was already dead.”

There, that one sentence just about sums up how ridiculous the concept of this book is.

I remember the time when I first started reading, which was some four years ago. Our school library was so poorly stocked. The only books it held were the many different editions of classic books and THESE. Goosebumps books. I used to read them and love them then, but now, I don’t even want to think I used to love them once.

The Plot

Amanda and Josh are not at all ha
✨Tamara
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
#1 "It will just kill you."
The old house that Amanda and Josh just moved into with their parents is not haunted... Or is it? Things get crazy in this ghostly tale of the ominous haunted house.
As the first book in the series of the Goosebumps franchise, while not my favorite, I'd have to say it's still one of the great ones.
Richard Cardenas
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!

Read the original audio book from the 90s on YouTube. It was just as awesome and spooky as I remember it. :)
Steph
3.5

I feel slightly jipped because it was originally published in 1992 but there were years in the story in here of later, that was obviously changed from the original publishing and it makes me wonder what else, if anything, they might have changed :(. I guess I should have been picky about trying to get first editions after all, dang it. I didn't know they changed things..sorry about the bitterness.

Otherwise it was a nice creepy read. Slightly (but not entirely) predictable. Kind of lackluster
Carmen
May 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids interested in horror but not allowed to watch horror movies; Parents
Amanda and Josh didn't want to move to their new house. It's creepy - they see the faces of children in the windows and hear them whispering and giggling in their rooms.

Nobody can turn down a free house, though, and they inherited from their dead uncle in a stroke of luck (I'm not sure "luck" would be the word I'd use).

At least the kids in the neighborhood are nice. Well, except for that time they surrounded the siblings in a circle while holding baseball bats in a threatening manner.

And Petey
Nikki
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book Level 3.7 / AR Points 3.0
Shelves: childrens-shelf
So it’s like this. 12 year old Amanda and her 11 year old little brother Josh aren’t too thrilled about being uprooted from the house they’ve lived in their entire life just because some dead Uncle Charlie (that no one even knew anyway) left their Dad a house in his will. But here they are in Dark Falls anyway, because really, there’s only so much whining and complaining a kid can do. So like I said, now we’re at this creepy old house covered in shade trees (along with the rest of the neighborho ...more
Evelina
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Το σπίτι των νεκρών,το πρώτο βιβλίο της παιδικής σειράς τρόμου “Ανατριχίλες”,είναι κατάλληλο για παιδιά που αγαπούν τα μικρά,ευκολοδιάβαστα βιβλία περιπέτειας και μυστηρίου.
Θα τους κρατήσουν σε εγρήγορση αλλά δε νομίζω να τους φέρουν εφιάλτες τα βράδια,καθώς οι ανατριχιαστικές περιγραφές είναι δοσμένες μέσα στα πλαίσια του φυσιολογικού. Το σπίτι των νεκρών κατορθώνει,δίχως να κουράζει και να δυσκολεύει τα παιδιά, να ισορροπήσει τις σκηνές τρόμου με πιο χαλαρές εικόνες καθημερινότητας,όπως η σχέ
Sara Saif
It spooked me alright but it wasn't mind-numbingly clever or horrifying. I guess for a 147 page book it was okay. I'm glad I found this series though because the books are short and I need to read more of this genre.
Juli
Yep...I'm 50 years old and I'm reading Goosebumps books. Why not? The stories are fun, a bit creepy, and have a lot of nostalgia for me. Back when my oldest son was little I used to read these books out loud to him. Sometimes he would read to me. :) We did different voices for the characters and acted out the action, often ending up laughing and just having a great time. My son is now a grown man, married, and stationed in San Diego with the US Navy. This year, I promised myself I would read (or ...more
Mohamed Khaled Sherif
وعودة مرة آخري مع صرخة الرعب ولكن هذه المرة مع قصة قرأتها سابقاً .. أعتقد أني قرأتها في المرحلة الأبتدائية أو أول الأعدادية .. وأربعة نجوم هو تقييمي وقتها للرواية .. لو قيمتها علي قرائتي الثانية ستكون حوالي نجمتين أو نجمتين ونصف ..
ولكن للإنصاف ما زال تسارع الأحداث المُفاجئ الذي يتمز به الكاتب يُبهرني حتي في سني الحالي .. ونهاية الرواية ذكرتني بأن الكاتب متخصص في النهايات الغريبة والغير متوقعة تماماًَ ..
في النهاية ، قراءة مُفعمة بالنوستالجيا .. خفيفة ومشوقة .. لا بأس بها كل شهر وكل عدد جديد .
Bonnie
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, library
Guess what time it is, guys? Time for a walk down memory lane. It’s October so naturally I’ve been immersing myself in all things scary and one night I was reminiscing about where my love of horror began and I started thinking about revisiting Goosebumps. Well, it happened. First off, do you realize the first Goosebumps came out in 1992?

No, it was not, thus making me feel officially fucking ancient I’ll tell you what. I love the idea of re-reading my childhood favorites, but what happens if its
Jory
"Where is everyone?" I asked, looking up and down the empty street. "It's really dead around here, huh?"
He chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

TALK ABOUT FORESHADOWING. GOOD ONE, STINE.

I decided this year would FINALLY be my Year of Stine. I couldn't resist. I wanted to jump into the books of my young adolescent life. I've got to tell you, this is going to be super fun for me. Reading Welcome To Dead House was like a blast from my youth past. I used to love this book. Like a lot. It w
Emm - Haunter of Quiet Libraries
This is the first entry and probably the best Goosebumps (right up there with Terror Tower and One Night in Horrorland). My nostalgia filter might be running a bit high when I rate it a solid five-star, but there are reasons to love it still. It's aged a lot better than some of the series, as well.

For one, this series, starting with Dead House, got so many kids into reading that wouldn't normally have. And I do mean MANY. These books were (and still are) the "In" thing for kids who love spooky s
Salymar
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1999-2007-read
Welcome to Dead House was the first book in the Goosebumps book series. I read it in our allotted library hours back in my elementary school.
I appreciated this a lot more because this was my first goosebumps book. The story starts with Josh and Amanda moving with their parents into a relic of a house willed to them by their late uncle. Amanda and Josh felt sad about their uncle and they are not too thrilled about the new house or town. Amanda tries to give a chance on liking the new place but s
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words:I never was a fan.

I never was a fan of Goosebumps... There was something about those stuck up, nasty, selfish brats that never appealed to me.

And this first book is perhaps one of the worst. Josh is such a brat, such a spoiled little... Yeah, these little shits frustrate me so much. I can't even put them into words. Chav comes to mind.
Stephen Robert Collins
BANNED in USA & Canadian Libuaries
Andy Carrington
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Decent horror for kids. Read it back in the early 90s, growing up. Got quite caught up by the Goosebumps craze at the time.

Don't know if I could read it now, though.
Meags
3 Stars

Reader beware - you're in for a scare!

It's still easy to see why the various Goosebumps series were such a big phenomenon in the 90's. They balance the creepy and the fun with expert appeal. Kids eat this stuff up! Hell, I once ate this stuff up. In fact, this particular series can actually be attributed to the start of my reading obsession as a child, and I couldn't be more grateful.

I was about 8 when I read this book for the first time and I know it scared the bejesus out of me! I'm not
James Finn
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Readers beware…

Similar to many young boys, library visits in my youth consisted of hunting down and searching for the Goosebumps series! I was already familiar with the TV show, but was particularly drawn to the horror and built up tension entailed within each book. R.L Stine’s Goosebumps series made me willingly read for the first time; and this appetite for horror has continued with particular interest in Stephen King novels.

Welcome to Dead House is the first title of the Goosebumps series. Am
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

After watching the movie Goosebumps I have decided to read this series. This is very popular way back when I still in school and at that time this stories creeps the hell out of kids who reads them. I remember I don't usually read this kind of genre in books before.

Now as I finished this one this particular book was not that scary but yeah it was kind of creepy and the way it was written would very much appeal to younger readers. The characters are very well relatable si

• Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • The Fall
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #1)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • Gideon's Promise (Son's of Judgment, #2)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • Bye-Bye Baby (The Baby Saga, #2)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Uma Aventura em Evoramonte
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)

R. L. Stine b

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)
“This was a normal town once, and we were normal people. Most of us worked at the plastics factory on the outskirts of town. Then one day there was an accident... something escaped from the factory, a yellow gas. It floated over the town so fast that we didn't see it, didn't realize... and then it was too late, and Dark Falls wasn't a normal town anymore.” 22 likes
“I could hear my dad honking his horn impatiently down on the street. "I... uh... used to live in your house," I found myself answering.
And then I turned and ran full speed down to the street.”
1 likes