Jump to ratings and reviews

Goosebumps #1

Welcome to Dead House

Amanda and Josh think the old house they have just moved into is weird. Spooky. Possibly haunted. And the town of Dark Falls is pretty strange, too. — But their parents don't believe them. You'll get used to it, they say. Go out and make some new friends. — So Amanda and Josh do. But these creepy new friends are not exactly what their parents had in mind.

Because they want to be friends...

...Forever.

126 pages, Paperback

First published July 1, 1992

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

R.L. Stine

1,132 books15.3k followers

R. L. Stine began his writing career when he was nine years old, and today he has achieved the position of the bestselling children's author in history. In the early 1990s, Stine was catapulted to fame when he wrote the unprecedented, bestselling Goosebumps® series, which sold more than 250 million copies and became a worldwide multimedia phenomenon. His other major series, Fear Street, has over 80 million copies sold.

Stine has received numerous awards of recognition, including several Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards and Disney Adventures Kids' Choice Awards, and he has been selected by kids as one of their favorite authors in the NEA's Read Across America program. He lives in New York, NY.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2,537 (7%)
1 star
770 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,196 reviews
Profile Image for Archit.
823 reviews3,227 followers
May 8, 2018
Alright ladies and gentlemen,

The first book of the fabled classic Goosebumps.

The house is a freebie. Is haunted.
The entire town is, as well. Two siblings discover that fears do come true.

Very well drawn up from the master of scare Mr. Stine.

The story bears a classic uniqueness of Stine but a cliffhanger ending is his trademark.

Turning back my high-school library years, it made my bone chill, yet again.

Take all the stars!
Profile Image for Alejandro.
1,106 reviews3,543 followers
September 4, 2016
Goosebumpy alright!

This is the first book of the original book series of “Goosebumps”

CREEPY GOOD BOOK

Obviously I wasn’t expecting a scary bloody tale, since this is Goosebumps, not H.P. Lovecraft, but I am glad to say that the book is quite well written, with an engaging narrative and a kinda of “cliffhanger” or “shocking last line” on each chapter making you to keep reading.

I found ingenious that the main character (and narrator of the story) is a teenage girl, due this is the first book of a series (that eventually became so popular and bestseller) having young audience as main targets, so the boys will pick the book since it’s terror, and the girls will pick the book since a girl is the main characters (without messing the topic with clichés of “women read romance”, “men read terror”, since I know for sure that it’s not the case) but as a business decision for a key first book in a series in this kind of genre and target audiences, I thought that it was well chosen.

It was a book quick to read and I enjoyed a lot, it’s not something that it will give you nightmares but certainly it will give you…

…goosebumps!

And at the end, that’s the whole purpose of this series.

WELCOME TO DARK FALLS

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that any town named “Dark Falls” isn’t a good place to go to live, but…

…hey! If our heroes wouldn’t go there, we wouldn’t have a story to read, right?

Meet The Benson Family: Dad, Mom, Amanda (the main character) (12 years old) and Josh (11 years old) along with their dog Petey (I guess they were huge fans of The Little Rascals).
They got a letter explaining that certain distant relative (that they never heard before (aaaha!) died and he left them his old house as inheritance.

Of course, the house is on Dark Falls, and you can bet that the dang house has two Windows at front just like the Amityville House!!!

But who cares? Free house!

So, everybody packin’ folks! Since Dark Falls, here we go!

Soon enough Amanda starting to notice here and there, strange happenings.

Yep. Free house. Aha.

But, don’t be so harsh on them! As I say, if they wouldn’t decided to live in that creepy house, we wouldn’t have this book to read.

Thanks Benson Family!

Good luck and I hope seeing you…

…alive…

…again…

Free house. Dang!

Profile Image for Ahmad Sharabiani.
9,568 reviews55.5k followers
September 1, 2020
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps #1), R.L. Stine

Amanda and Josh think the old house they have just moved into is weird. Spooky. Possibly haunted. And the town of Dark Falls is pretty strange, too. But their parents don't believe them. You'll get used to it, they say. Go out and make some new friends. So Amanda and Josh do. But these new friends are not exactly what their parents had in mind. Because they want to be friends... forever.

عنوانها: به خانه مرگ خوش آمدید؛ به خانه ی مردگان خوش آمدید؛ اثر: ر. ل. اشتاین (استاین)؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز پنجم ماه جولای سال 1999میلادی

عنوان: به خانه مرگ خوش آمدید؛ اثر: ر.ل اشتاین (استاین)؛ برگردان احمد واحدیان؛ مشخصات نشر مشهد، سخنگستر، 1377، در 118ص، شابک 9649143718، موضوع: داستانهای وحشت آفرین آمریکائی، سده 20م

عنوان: به خانه ی مردگان خوش آمدید؛ اثر: ر.ل اشتاین (استاین)؛ برگردان: ماندانا قهرمانلو؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، ویدا، 1386 در 138 ص، شابک: 9789646807037، فروست: دایره وحشت ج دو؛

آماندا و «جاش» میاندیشند، که خانه ی تازه شان، ترسناک و عجیب و غریب است؛ آنها باور دارند، که آنجا توسط ارواح، تسخیر شده است...؛ پدر و مادرشان، از آنها میخواهند، که بیرون خانه، دوستان تازه پیدا کنند.؛ اما دوستان ترسناکشان، آن کسانی نیستند، که پدر و مادرشان در نظر داشتند؛ آنها میخواهند تا ابد، با «جاش» و «آماندا» دوست باشند...؛ برای همیشه!؛

تاریخ بهنگام رسانی 10/06/1399هجری خورشیدی؛ ا. شربیانی
Profile Image for Stepheny.
381 reviews537 followers
July 14, 2015

When it comes to horror movies I like them the same way I like my pizza- extra cheesy. However, the same cannot be said of my horror books.

Back when I was a young lady little turd, my favorite place in the world was a tiny library in an old fashioned town called Henderson. My aunt lived up the road, and when I say up, I mean it literally. Once I had a bag full of books I had to lug them up a hill that felt like it would never end. My siblings and I spent a lot of time there in the summers because my mother was the manager of a convenient store right across the street from the library. My aunt’s house was also conveniently located in front of a playground and was surrounded by kids I went to school with.

There was one summer in particular where I discovered the wonderful stories of R.L. Stine. I saw the covers with the bumped up letters and scary images and knew I had to have them all. And so my love of the macabre was born.

While the neighborhood kids all played outside on the playground or at summer recreation or spent their day running under the hose, I could be found with my nose in a book. This is not to say, however, that I didn’t horse around when the time was right. There was horsing around aplenty. But, what I remember most is sitting under a tree, behind the garage, on my aunt’s fence, or holed up in the little tube at the playground reading as fast as my eyes would let me. I think I read every issue of Goosebumps available in that summer.

And it is that summer that I remember most fondly.

After losing my father to cancer about a year and a half ago, I have been on a bit of a quest. I’ve been trying to relive my youth in an attempt to rediscover myself; redefine myself in light of the overwhelming realities I’ve had to face.

Reading Goosebumps was just one item on a list of several meant to help me through this journey. And oh! What a treat this truly was. I was immediately taken back to those summer days that felt endless. It was as if I had stepped into a time machine. I found myself laughing like a child again; my youth restored. I was able to find what had fascinated me so much as a kid again and that was an experience all in its own.

The book itself is 100% a cheese-fest. I refuse to sugar coat it. The writing caused me to roll my eyes through most of it, the storyline so obvious and the characters…well they were cookie-cutouts at best. But, I can’t completely throw this book under the bus. The memories it brought up, the feeling I had in my soul, the laughter that poured out of me at the silliness of it all- those things are worth more than any money in the world.

I look forward to reading more of these and hope that they still bring me the joy that they once did- even if it comes in a different form.

Profile Image for Hannah Greendale.
692 reviews3,241 followers
December 22, 2016
There's something off about the old house Amanda's dad inherited from a deceased uncle he's never heard of.

A cold breeze made me shiver. It was actually a beautiful, hot summer day. But the closer we got to the house, the colder I felt.

Welcome to Dead House offers a satisfying blend of camp and creepiness:

I started up the stairs and then stopped.
Above me on the landing stood a strange girl, about my age, with short black hair. She was smiling down at me, not a warm smile, not a friendly smile, but the coldest, most frightening smile I had ever seen.

And the book hints at the comedic slant R.L. Stine later brought to the series:

"Where is everyone?" I asked, looking up and down the empty street. "It's really dead around here, huh?"
He chuckled. "Yeah. I guess you could say that."

Welcome to Dead House may not be an extraordinary read for adults, but as a child this book, and the other books in the series, were irresistible and incontrovertibly spooky. They made reading fun and the act of buying a new book something to look forward to with great anticipation.
Profile Image for Michael || TheNeverendingTBR.
426 reviews139 followers
October 25, 2021
The very first book in the Goosebumps series.

I was intrigued by these books when I was young, I would see them in the library and check them out just because the cool looking covers and not read them when I got home; I guess I wasn't ready back then. Well I had the curiosity but following through and actually read, not yet. I was too stuck on graphic novels. Lol.

Okay on with the review, this first one was a bit of lag in the first chapters but it was a cool little exciting read in the end and actually really creepy for a children's horror novel.

Overall, I'm glad I decided to give Goosebumps a try and I'll definitely read the second book at some point.
Profile Image for James Trevino.
67 reviews32.7k followers
September 25, 2017
Fun little read. It reminded me of that Tales From the Crypt TV show I used to love as a kid. Yep, full on nostalgia hit! Plus bonus points for the cool cover. And yeah, I know that should't matter, but c'mon! Who doesn't love a nice cover?!
Profile Image for destiny ♡ howling libraries.
1,609 reviews5,001 followers
August 10, 2019
I probably won't give any of these full reviews, but I grew up on the Goosebumps series and adored it so much that I've decided to pick it back up from the beginning. I'll probably only be reading the "main"/original series, but we'll see.

This was so much more fun than I remembered it being. I know I read this a few times as a kid, and read it again in my teens to find it boring, but I couldn't put it down today and had a blast revisiting Stine's writing style and his weird little ideas. It's predictable as anything, of course, reading this as an adult (even if I didn't know for sure that I was remembering the twist correctly), but the characters are fun, the plot is quick-paced, and there's the classic "shocker" ending Stine's always been so well-known for.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited as heck to pick up book 2 soon! :P
Profile Image for Rebecca Maye Holiday.
Author 29 books126 followers
November 26, 2022
From graphic descriptions of a family gnawing on moldy plates of human bones, to a small town conspiring to murder the new family that has just moved into the creepiest house on the block, Welcome to Dead House easily could work as a standalone novel despite originally being marketed for children under the iconic and popular Goosebumps series. This bit of gothic supernatural horror is extremely dark, and after backlash and censorship in the 1990's from horrified parents and teachers, R.L. Stine understandably toned down the content of his series in future instalments to make them more comedic and less unsettling and sad. That being said, I think something was really lost when he did this, because Welcome to Dead House was one of the only books I can remember reading as a kid that was classified as horror but dealt with tragedy, family dysfunction and the overwhelming emotions and common fears associated with moving. Stine addressed these things both metaphorically and literally, and the book, unlike many other Goosebumps novels, doesn't try to avoid more serious themes, but instead dives into them with a surprising amount of depth and complexity for a book targeted towards twelve-year-olds.

I'll concede I was a much bigger fan of the TV movie adaptation produced in 1997 and filmed on Toronto's industrial Unwin Avenue and affluent Hazel Avenue for the town body itself. For the record, I would love to get a copy of the adaptation's written screenplay or any of the props used when filming, as this was my favourite movie when I was in elementary school. I think the adaptation did a better job at the scary factor with the usage of decrepit scenery, unsettling soundtrack, and had the devastating chemical factory accident as more of a central plot device. I'd actually be surprised if there weren't a few adults not at least mildly creeped out by the movie version (you have to watch it in the dark to get the full effect), created by the talented William Fruet, who also brought us the 1980 horror film Funeral Home. The Welcome to Dead House movie adaptation also addressed economic depression in industrial towns in a way that seems much more appropriate for adults, with talk of people being fired from their jobs and a newspaper discussing an accident in the town's main employer, Dark Falls Chemical, an explosion which killed most of the workers and left the rest of the townspeople isolated and angry. The book vaguely touches on this, but not in the same manner. The book, however, is still arguably the best children's horror story I've ever read.

In it, we have Amanda Benson, a girl who finds herself and her typical all-American family moving to a town that is anything but. Dark Falls is odd. More than odd. The sunlight is virtually non-existent, the townsfolk are asocial and rarely seen, and everything seems abandoned. The other children living in town seem either very depressed or very menacing. We also have a real-estate agent, Compton Dawes, who seems to have no shortage of excuses for why the house looks "old and gross" or why the neighbourhood is so quiet. Amanda herself doesn't cope well with the move, having to leave a beloved friend behind in a very harrowing, tearful goodbye, and upon arriving in Dark Falls she begins to see things. As is often the case, her parents and brother begin to think she's troubled, chalking up her visions of dead people to be related to her anger over the move. Meanwhile, dysfunction ensues within the family itself, including Josh Benson running away from "home", the parents fighting over petty things like the crispiness of a piece of bacon, and the family dog going missing.

Things eventually take a turn for the downright brutal and shocking, including . I can see why there was a backlash against children reading this story. That being said, at the time of its publication and to this day, it took the "haunted house" trope and used it to sympathize with a plight that most kids have to face at least once in their childhood. Moving is difficult, whether you see it as an adventurous new start, or a cut-off from your friends and school. With moving from one place to another often comes the feeling that nobody understands you, that the people in your new town are weird or rude or different, and that everybody is out to get you, that you can't trust anyone. Welcome to Dead House creates the perfect metaphor for this, where everybody really is out to get you and you can't trust anyone, because they're all secretly conspiring to murder your family as a cruel means of survival.
Profile Image for Anne.
3,786 reviews69k followers
May 4, 2011
I read this because I promised my 11 year old that I would read it with him. He hates to read anything that isn't a comic book, or at the very least, in graphic novel format. Since he loves all things creepy, I thought that this would be a great way to finally get the kid to read something with actual chapters!
I think this is probably as close to perfect as it gets for a reluctant reader like my son. The chapter are short (two or three pages at the most), and yet packed with super-creepy stuff. Nothing too graphic or gory, but still scary enough to keep a kid like mine interested. I think this book is a great introduction into the horror/paranormal genre for older children.

I think this would probably be suitable for ages 10 and up.
Profile Image for Matteo Fumagalli.
Author 1 book7,588 followers
September 2, 2020
RILETTURA, DA ADULTO, DEI PICCOLI BRIVIDI N.6

Se uno zio di cui non ricordate assolutamente la parentela vi cedesse GRATIS una fatiscente villa in un luogo che si chiama CASCATA TENEBROSA reagireste con gioia e gaudio? Io no, ma il padre della famigliola protagonista del romanzo eccome. Nonostante in città NON CI SIA NESSUNO. O meglio, qualcuno c'è, ma più che fissare dalla finestra non fa.

Tra quelli che ho letto è assolutamente il più horror e dark della serie. Una zombie-ghost horror story capace di terrorizzare i giovanissimi lettori (mi sarei scagazzato io all'epoca).
Riletta da adulto e con tanti film e libri horror sul groppone, non fa assolutamente lo stesso effetto.
Anzi, le prime 100 pagine sono piuttosto pallosette con momenti di suspense adrenalinico del tipo "ommioddio ci sono i jeans piegati sul letto, ma chi li avrà messi lì? Forse la mamma ma non ne sono sicura". I morti che ti stirano i vestiti mi mancavano. Adoro.

Fatto sta che nelle ultime 60 pagine il racconto finalmente prende ritmo e innesta una trovata di paura dietro l'altra, fino all'indovinato colpo di scena/bad ending finale, anche se un po' telefonato.

(SPOILER):
- Ma veramente sarebbe bastato buttar giù un albero per sconfiggere i cattivi?
- Ma se tutti gli abitanti della città sono morti a causa di una nube di gas tossico...chi li ha seppelliti? Perché ci sono le tombe?
Profile Image for thewildreaderwithacat.
64 reviews18 followers
October 13, 2022
Goosebumps!!!

This story is about a family that inherits an old house from a relative. They moves to the house which is in a weird neighborhood, known as Dark Falls. But Dark Falls has its own secrets, with huge trees and little sunlight.

This is a fun and quick read!

I love reading and watching Goosebumps. I think R.L.Stein has done a great job with the series and is fun read for all!
Profile Image for Becky.
1,309 reviews1,596 followers
June 4, 2015
So, my friend Stepheny put it out there that she wanted to read these this summer and was all...

I raised my hand. Because when I was a kid, I LOVED these books. They came out around the time I turned 10, and I was that kid who read anything and everything I could. I was the girl who WANTED reading homework. I looked forward to the Scholastic Book Fair all year long. I did the summer reading program and read circles around my classmates. By the time these books were being published, I was already reading the gamut, from Beverly Cleary to Stephen King and Dean Koontz to Little Women. If it was printed, I'd try to read that shit.

But I love horror and always have. (I remember watching Tales from the Crypt while my mom got ready to to go work at her 3rd shift security job - and I couldn't have been older than 7. Pet Sematary came out around the same time, and that shit traumatized me. The cat. And Zelda. *shudder* That freaks me out to this day!) So these books, along with the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, were great. They were my bus-ride-to-school reads. A little aside here: My bus driver loved listening to the radio on her route, and she loved hip-hop and R&B. So I have strange associations between 90s hip-hop music and middle-grade horror stories. I can't hear the song "My Lovin'" by En Vogue without picturing this:

It's stuck in my brain for life.

Anyway, so I read a lot of these books as a kid, and they were fun, light, nominally scary stories that were easily accessible. You never really feel like anything truly bad is going to happen because they were aimed at people of my age group (at the time) and nothing bad happens to kids. It's against the rules! It was the horror I wanted to read, but without the trauma of actual horror. It didn't keep me up at night, like Child's Play did. That fucking DOLL. Ruined dolls for me forever.

Reading this now, it's even more clear that these are innocent books geared towards kids who like to be scared but don't want to risk too much. There's an out built in to every story. This one was the house that they conveniently didn't sell yet before moving to the Mystery Uncle's estate house. So you know right then that there's little risk to the family - they can always just pick up and go home.

These books don't really hold up to much scrutiny though. I mean, for one, if a mysterious uncle left me a house that is 4 hours away, in a town I'd never heard of, I think I'd need to do a little bit more research than a single, hectic, sullen-tween-dragging walk-through. I'd need to investigate the schools and the neighborhood at a minimum, because they are supposed to actually LIVE there after they move. But right there, things would fall apart. Because there'd be nothing to investigate. There are no neighbors, and there are no teachers or students - not even a creepy lunch lady!

But OK, they do the walk-through and decide to move, because the house is paid for and they wouldn't have a mortgage anymore and dad would totally be able to dedicate his time to writing full time. Right on. Except... Why not sell the house you just got gifted, and use that money to pay off your own house, so you don't have to uproot your whole family and move to the corner of Nowhere and Nothing? Well, I mean, of course, besides the fact that there wouldn't be much of a story if they did that.

Anyway, so they pick up and move, and then things get all weird. There's ghostly footsteps and whispers in the house, and it's cold, and dreary, and "drafty". The kids, Amanda and Josh meet some weird neighborhood kids who play softball and promptly go home for lunch at 11:30am every day, and who all seem to have lived in the house that the main characters now live in. And then the dog goes missing.

Now this dog is very undoglike. I mean, it barks and runs, but if I didn't know better, I'd think that this dog was supposed to be human. They talk to it and treat it like human, which is understandable, because I talk to my cats like they are little furry humans... but my cats still act like cats - even when I anthropomorphize their behavior in my head. But this dog.. I think he thought he was human, too. It was just... not doggy enough to be real, and it was distracting and kind of obnoxious. This dog was like a precocious 4 year old child.

But anyway, Petey the dog goes missing, and the whole world collapses... and then this story takes a hard left turn from Campy Good Time Rd onto What The Hell Is Going On Blvd. The last quarter of this book RACES along, and compared to the previous 75%, which was a bit draggy and repetitive and slow, it just feels like the end is supposed to show up so suddenly that we overlook any of the stuff that it actually consists of.

The explanation for the town weirdness is literally one half of a line of dialogue. That's not counting the current reason for the family being there, which is repeated over and over... but how it all started is of the blink-and-you'll-miss-it variety.

The timeline gets incredibly wonky at the end. One minute it's "after midnight" and the kids leave the house to walk to the cemetery to find the missing dog, because they're sure it will be there. Then, after they've searched for their dog, found him, and also discovered some disturbing things in the graveyard, they run home, where they are ambushed by all the neighborhood kids. It's mentioned then that it's 2 AM, and that their parents should be home from their party (convenient) by now but they aren't and WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY?
Then the only other adult in the story shows up and tells the kids that they have to get out of there now, that it's dangerous, and he'll take them to their parents... so they hop in his car, and race back to the cemetery.... At which point apparently it's now daylight. Not dawn's-early-light, but full on daylight... in the course of less than an hour.

It's a strange little story, and like I said, it doesn't really hold up well under scrutiny, but for what it is, and its intended audience, it's not the worst thing I've ever read. It's quick, and light reading, so it's good for an in-between-books filler read.
Profile Image for Fuzaila.
251 reviews358 followers
November 19, 2017
“We killed someone who was already dead.”

There, that one sentence just about sums up how ridiculous the concept of this book is.

I remember the time when I first started reading, which was some four years ago. Our school library was so poorly stocked. The only books it held were the many different editions of classic books and THESE. Goosebumps books. I used to read them and love them then, but now, I don’t even want to think I used to love them once.

The Plot

Amanda and Josh are not at all happy with their new house at Dark Falls. The town looks deserted, completely shady and eerie. But their parents insist the house is huge and cool.
Creepy things happen to them, and the kids in the neighborhood act strange. One extraordinarily creepy night, they find that all those friends they made, are already dead. And they want Josh and Amanda dead too..

Thoughts

- At one point, Amanda, the mc, thinks she’s more sensible and patient than her brother, BECAUSE SHE IS A GIRL

- Sounds reasonable right? Duh. I don’t see why boys aren’t considered sensible enough?

-The book was fairly readable, except, the writing was really uncool. Like, look at this –

“Your basketball is packed in one of these cartons,” Dad was saying. Then Josh said something. Then Dad said, “How should I know which one?” Then Josh said something. Then Dad said, “No, I don’t have time to look now. Believe it or not, your basketball isn’t at the top of my list.”

-Yeah that’s a real paragraph from the book. I CAN’T EVEN..

-Seems like R.L Stine has memorized every bit of how-to-write-a-horror-story manual. He has badly used every supposedly-scary trope there is.

* Dog barking at dead people? ✔
* Gross description of peeling skin and popping eyeballs? ✔
* Melting bodies? ✔
* Dead people afraid of light?
* Venturing to the cemetery at night and considering it ‘adventure’? ✔
* Century-old, nearly-dead trees? ✔

-But what I don’t really understand is the concept. It is ridiculous to say the least. Who on earth would agree moving to a house they supposedly inherited from a non-existent great-uncle? And, dead people living in a town? They aren’t even considered as ghosts. Why are they ‘dead’ then? What does dead mean? How come, they’re not anywhere else? If they’re already dead, what happens when they ‘melt away’? Ugh, questioning the plot devices of this book is sickening.

In short, if you decide to overlook the questionable plot and poor writing, this book might be enjoyable. Probably.
Profile Image for Mohamed Khaled Sharif.
731 reviews797 followers
October 24, 2020

وعودة مرة أخرى مع صرخة الرعب ولكن هذه المرة مع قصة قرأتها مُسبقاً.. أعتقد أني قرأتها في المرحلة الأبتدائية أو أول الإعدادية.. وأربعة نجوم هو تقييمي وقتها للرواية.. لو قيمتها على قراءتي الثانية ستكون حوالي نجمتين أو نجمتين ونصف..
ولكن للإنصاف ما زال تسارع الأحداث المُفاجئ الذي يتمز به الكاتب يُبهرني حتى في سني الحالي.. ونهاية الرواية ذكرتني بأن الكاتب متخصص في النهايات الغريبة والغير متوقعة تماماًَ..
في النهاية، قراءة مُفعمة بالنوستالجيا.. خفيفة ومشوقة.. لا بأس بها كل شهر وكل عدد جديد.

Profile Image for Anna.
564 reviews104 followers
November 27, 2018
Τιμή κ δόξα στην ελληνική εφορία που μου επέτρεψε σήμερα το πρωί να το διαβάσω ολόκληρο!!
Και την επιστροφή μου την πήρα και την περιπετειούλα μου απόλαυσα κ καλό καφέ ήπια.. όλα καλά!
Τουλάχιστον ήμουν σε καλύτερη μοίρα από τα παιδιά της περιπέτειας (αν κ εφορία κ σπίτι των νεκρών έναν παράξενο συνειρμό τον κάνει...)
Profile Image for ✨Bean's Books✨.
648 reviews2,916 followers
October 2, 2018
#1 "It will just kill you."
The old house that Amanda and Josh just moved into with their parents is not haunted... Or is it? Things get crazy in this ghostly tale of the ominous haunted house.
As the first book in the series of the Goosebumps franchise, while not my favorite, I'd have to say it's still one of the great ones.
Profile Image for Ashley Daviau.
1,728 reviews739 followers
June 3, 2021
I will never be too old to love Goosebumps! This was one of the first ones I read when I was young and reading it again brought back so many good memories. I think this is probably one of my favourite Goosebumps stories, something about it just really hits the spot for me. This story still holds up all these years later, I enjoyed the hell out of my reread of this one! I had forgotten most of the details of the story so it was like I was experiencing it again for the first time and I fell in love with it all over again. It still amazes me how brutal these can be for young teen/middle grade books, I’m not complaining but I am questioning my parents for letting me read these at such a young age.
Profile Image for ✦BookishlyRichie✦.
639 reviews1,040 followers
October 2, 2016
4 STARS!

Read the original audio book from the 90s on YouTube. It was just as awesome and spooky as I remember it. :)
Profile Image for Carmen.
2,047 reviews1,802 followers
April 29, 2015
Amanda and Josh didn't want to move to their new house. It's creepy - they see the faces of children in the windows and hear them whispering and giggling in their rooms.

Nobody can turn down a free house, though, and they inherited from their dead uncle in a stroke of luck (I'm not sure "luck" would be the word I'd use).

At least the kids in the neighborhood are nice. Well, except for that time they surrounded the siblings in a circle while holding baseball bats in a threatening manner.

And Petey, the kids' sweet and friendly terrier, seems to hate everyone in town. He barks and growls at everyone, exhibiting behavior he's never shown before.

And why is the town so dark? Yes, it is called Dark Falls, and for good reason. Trees shade every street, yard, and park. There are no streetlamps.

It turns out that

R.L. Stine did a great service to kids everywhere when he created a series of horror books for children. This really filled a great need.

That being said, the books are poorly written. The writing is boring and very simple. (See my status updates for examples). Just because kids are kids doesn't mean they're stupid...kids can appreciate and deserve good writing. Also, Stine tends to end every chapter with a cliffhanger/shock-moment that 90% of the time is revealed to be nothing at the start of the next chapter. For instance, the chapter will end on "The boy crept up behind and grabbed my shoulder." Next chapter, opening sentences - it's her brother. Annoying!

Dialogue is lame, character development is non-existent. A Goosebumps main character could be male, female, 10 or 12 - it makes no difference. Stine writes with only one voice - the kids in this series are interchangeable and forgettable.

So why the two stars? Because Stine's creative and original horror ideas are fun and exciting. Also, he did children a great service by opening up the horror book market to them. Some of his concepts are a little silly, but most are great and really get a kid's imagination working. I always wanted someone to go back and re-write each of the original Goosebumps books in an adult form. That would be awesome and take care of the juvenile writing problem. There's a lot of potential there if Mr. Stine would agree to let an author re-write them for adults.

I also enjoy how Stine doesn't mute the horror too much. There are some genuinely spooky moments in this book. Amanda's creepy dream about her and her family being dead and eating a meal of bones at the dining room table. The part where The fact that every kid in the neighborhood says to the kids "I used to live in your house," when the siblings know that's not possible. And when Amanda and Josh finally These are great horror tropes, and it's fun to introduce them to kids so early. I would say that these books could be read by kids aged 8-11.
Profile Image for Tyler J Gray.
Author 2 books209 followers
July 18, 2018
3.5

I feel slightly jipped because it was originally published in 1992 but there were years in the story in here of later, that was obviously changed from the original publishing and it makes me wonder what else, if anything, they might have changed :(. I guess I should have been picky about trying to get first editions after all, dang it. I didn't know they changed things..sorry about the bitterness.

Otherwise it was a nice creepy read. Slightly (but not entirely) predictable. Kind of lackluster ending (or maybe that's just me) but still enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Juli.
1,844 reviews471 followers
May 19, 2019
Yep...I'm 50 years old and I'm reading Goosebumps books. Why not? The stories are fun, a bit creepy, and have a lot of nostalgia for me. Back when my oldest son was little I used to read these books out loud to him. Sometimes he would read to me. :) We did different voices for the characters and acted out the action, often ending up laughing and just having a great time. My son is now a grown man, married, and stationed in San Diego with the US Navy. This year, I promised myself I would read (or re-read) books that I really enjoy, reviewing each one. I decided it was time to revisit the Goosebumps series just for fun, and Mom-nostalgia.

Welcome to Dead House is the first Goosebumps book, published in 1992. At one time, my son had more than 20 of these books. We read and re-read them until he outgrew them and moved on to more in-depth stories. I did not realize how many books the Goosebumps series mushroomed into...several different spin off series....more than 100 books in total. Wow! Add in the television show and a couple movies....and the Goosebumps series really got kids reading and watching horror stories written specifically for them.

In this first story, Josh and Amanda are upset about moving to Dark Falls. They didn't want to leave their friends behind, and the house their family inherited from an uncle is old and creepy. Little do they know just how creepy it is -- but they quickly find out! Turns out Dark Falls is hiding some dark secrets....

Each chapter ends with a mini-cliffhanger....a bit of drama to get kids to want to read the next chapter. Perfect for silent reading, or reading out loud. The earlier books in the Goosebumps series are a bit darker and less humorous than later books. This story has some pretty gruesome and depressing imagery...but nothing graphic or too scary. Moving is often a traumatic and terrifying experience for kids. This story just turns that fear into a creepy story about a town town with dark secrets.

The television series did a two part episode (made for TV movie) on this story. It can be streamed on Netflix for those who want to revisit some R.L. Stine goodness without reading the book. Or better yet read the book....then watch the TV version to see what changes were made. :) Welcome to Dead House is listed under Specials, episodes 11 and 12, on Netflix.

This book made for an enjoyable afternoon's reading.....and some nice memories of time spent reading to my son. :) Dark, but entertaining and fun, story! I'm going to keep reading this series in order just for the fun of it. Great palate cleansers in-between adult fiction. :) I love children's books. There is no reason why adults can't enjoy them too!
Profile Image for Nikki.
6 reviews2 followers
January 12, 2009
So it’s like this. 12 year old Amanda and her 11 year old little brother Josh aren’t too thrilled about being uprooted from the house they’ve lived in their entire life just because some dead Uncle Charlie (that no one even knew anyway) left their Dad a house in his will. But here they are in Dark Falls anyway, because really, there’s only so much whining and complaining a kid can do. So like I said, now we’re at this creepy old house covered in shade trees (along with the rest of the neighborhood) and little brother Josh decides that he’d rather stay outside with Petey, the family’s pet terrier, who for some reason can’t stand to be around anyone in the entire neighborhood. Petey runs away, Josh follows, family freaks out, they all wind up in the cemetery. A foreshadow of things to come? Let's find out. A few days pass, the family gets settled in, Amanda’s been seeing children upstairs but lets everyone talk her into believing that she’s just seeing things. Josh has been having nightmares and doesn’t want to talk about it. There are whispers and billowy curtains even though the windows are closed. It’s all pretty freaky. Turns out Dark Falls is a ghost/zhombie-esque village that got destroyed after the freak “yellow-gas” incident quite a few years ago. The town doesn’t feast on brains though, so no worries there. Just fresh blood once a year.

“I used to live in your house.”
Profile Image for Latasha.
1,257 reviews360 followers
September 12, 2020
If only!

I didn't read Goosebumps as a kid, I was a Fear Street gal. Someone in my book club picked this as part of our R.L. Stine challenge. So I grabbed this from my library without even reading what it was about. A haunted house?I guessed a tiny spoiler but was surprised by most of the book. I loved this! If I had read this in 1992, I would have been hooked.
Profile Image for Chantel.
333 reviews118 followers
January 5, 2023
I was too terrified to try & read any of the Goosebumps books when I was young. I spent my entire life loving Scholastic Book Fairs, libraries & book stores but, could only ever look at the covers of these books; never daring to attempt to read any of the spooky stories hidden inside. It’s almost funny, how comforting this story was for me. Picking up a book that was around so popularly in my youth; the reputation it holds, the cheesy-spooky adventures that the characters go through — I had to love it.

Amanda is 12 years old & alongside her 11-year-old brother, Josh, & their two parents, they pack all their belongings into moving trucks & drive four (4) hours away to start their lives in an old abandoned home left to them by a mysterious great-uncle of the patriarch, whom no one can call to mind. During their short stay at the house, huddled behind tall ominous trees, kept safely within the shadows of the deserted neighbourhood streets of Dark Falls; the children encounter the ghosts of other children creeping through their bedrooms at all hours of the day & night.

This story made me laugh at times due to the crux at which the entire premise rests; the absurd level of annoyance that the parents hold towards their children. At every turn, mother & father take turns expressing how tired they are of the boisterous energy that their kids emit; longing for them to go play around the neighbourhood, walk the dog, be silent & often times asking them to be complacent. I’m not here to critique this fictional family; without their 90’s view of parenting, we wouldn’t have had the wonderful scene of Amanda & Josh running through a cemetery in the middle of the night, fighting off Zombies with sunlight. However, I cannot help but think of all the stories, modern & antiquated, that have been influenced by the parenting style we see in this book.

The reason this story is as brilliant as it is, cannot be pinpointed to a singular aspect. Though, I am certain that everyone might find one thing more enjoyable than others. Stine knows his audience & he knows how to lead the reader through chapters which reside on a twist, well,…they aren’t all twists but, you have to keep reading to find that out & that is what I enjoyed the most. At the end of every chapter Amanda is faced with a situation which is scary; a hand on her shoulder, footsteps creeping closer, flowing curtains in an otherwise still room. It’s wonderful. I would have been spooked out of my socks reading this as a kid.

There are so many positive things to say about this book. If you are looking for a creepy story that hits all the markers of a cheesy-over-the-top zombie story, look no further. This isn’t the type of book you read for the logical premise; we are, after all, reading about two children being physically able to push a fully-grown tree over an amphitheatre. But, if you can read this short book while keeping in mind who the target audience is, you might thoroughly enjoy it. It’s the perfect book to work through on a gloomy autumn day. I look forward to making my way through more of the series whose covers gave me the creeps as a kid.
Profile Image for Sara Saif.
539 reviews218 followers
June 13, 2018
It spooked me alright but it wasn't mind-numbingly clever or horrifying. I guess for a 147 page book it was okay. I'm glad I found this series though because the books are short and I need to read more of this genre.
Profile Image for Luffy.
932 reviews698 followers
March 5, 2016
Now that I'm writing this review months later than having read it, I can proclaim that Welcome to Dead House has survived the test of time(not all of it though, just a fragment). I liked the first installment of Goosebumps. The story had to be strong to allow for such a prolific sequelitis. The ending is very well written, particularly when one of the zombie girls looks at us sadly before dying. Better than expected.
Profile Image for Michael Sorbello.
Author 1 book222 followers
November 12, 2021
After their father receives a staggering inheritance from a distant uncle, Amanda and Josh have no choice but to move into a massive house in the seemingly normal town of Dark Falls. It doesn't take long for them to realize that something is off. Creepy kids running through their home. All the houses appear empty. Their parents tell them to walk the neighborhood to make some friends, but the only thing their new friends seem to be interested in is taking their souls.

I have to be honest, I didn't like anything about this book. I know it's supposed to be a light-hearted and mildly spooky tale for kids, but even for the littlest of kids it just felt poorly written, poorly thought out and the characters weren't interesting or likable at all. For example, The Thief of Always by Clive Barker, The Year of Shadows by Claire Legrand, Coraline by Neil Gaiman, His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, all these series are technically children's books but they have extremely well written plots, characters, dialogue, world building and they handled horror and mature themes in a way that people of all ages could appreciate.

This had nothing like that. I'm sure many people enjoy this series because of childhood nostalgia, but as someone who jumped straight into R-rated horror when I was still a little tyke myself, I guess I just don't have that same sense of nostalgic wonder. Nothing even made logical sense. Receiving such a large house from a relative you've never heard of in a distant town you have no knowledge of. Not finding it suspicious that it's literally an abandoned ghost town. The mystery of the villains and monsters being glaringly obvious. Every bad, overused horror movie cliche ever. The cringe-worthy dialogue and one dimensional characters, I just couldn't get into it. Every twist felt like it was made up on the spot without connecting coherently. The final revelation of how the town and its ghostly inhabitants came to be isn't even really a revelation, it's just a single sentence like "cuz this town is haunted and full of dead people, that's just the way it is," or something like that.

I understand the appeal of Stine and I have a lot of respect for the sheer amount of work he's published, but there are just so many better examples of children's horror and dark fantasy out there in my opinion.

***

If you're looking for some dark ambient music for reading horror, dark fantasy and other books like this one, then be sure to check out my YouTube Channel called Nightmarish Compositions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPs...
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,196 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.