Start by marking “Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)

Welcome to Dead House

(Goosebumps #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  27,778 ratings  ·  1,585 reviews
Amanda and Josh think the old house they have just moved into is weird. Spooky. Possibly haunted. And the town of Dark Falls is pretty strange, too. — But their parents don't believe them. You'll get used to it, they say. Go out and make some new friends. — So Amanda and Josh do. But these creepy new friends are not exactly what their parents had in mind.

Because they want
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published July 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Dead House, please sign up.
Nicole Check out your local library! It might be there and you can borrow it for free.

·  27,778 ratings  ·  1,585 reviews

Start your review of Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
Alejandro
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, horror, novel
Goosebumpy alright!

This is the first book of the original book series of “Goosebumps”

CREEPY GOOD BOOK

Obviously I wasn’t expecting a scary bloody tale, since this is Goosebumps, not H.P. Lovecraft, but I am glad to say that the book is quite well written, with an engaging narrative and a kinda of “cliffhanger” or “shocking last line” on each chapter making you to keep reading.

I found ingenious that the main character (and narrator of the story) is a teenage girl, due this is the first boo
Archit Ojha
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Alright ladies and gentlemen,

The first book of the fabled classic Goosebumps.

The house is a freebie. Is haunted.
The entire town is, as well. Two siblings discover that fears do come true.

Very well drawn up from the master of scare Mr. Stine.

The story bears a classic uniqueness of Stine but a cliffhanger ending is his trademark.

Turning back my high-school library years, it made my bone chill, yet again.

Take all the stars!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps #1), R.L. Stine

Amanda and Josh think the old house they have just moved into is weird. Spooky. Possibly haunted. And the town of Dark Falls is pretty strange, too. But their parents don't believe them. You'll get used to it, they say. Go out and make some new friends. So Amanda and Josh do. But these new friends are not exactly what their parents had in mind. Because they want to be friends... forever.

عنوانها: به خانه مرگ خوش آمدید؛ به خانه ی مردگان خوش آمدید؛ ا
Rebecca McNutt
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.
From graphic descriptions of a family gnawing on moldy plates of human bones to a small town conspiring to murder the new family that has just moved into the creepiest house on the block, Welcome to Dead House easily could work as a standalone novel despite originally being marketed for children under the iconic and popular Goosebumps series. This bit of gothic supernatural horror is extremely dark and after backlash and censorship in the 1990's from horrified pare
Stepheny
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

When it comes to horror movies I like them the same way I like my pizza- extra cheesy. However, the same cannot be said of my horror books.

Back when I was a young lady little turd, my favorite place in the world was a tiny library in an old fashioned town called Henderson. My aunt lived up the road, and when I say up, I mean it literally. Once I had a bag full of books I had to lug them up a hill that felt like it would never end. My siblings and I spent a lot of time there in the summers becau
Hannah Greendale
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, horror
There's something off about the old house Amanda's dad inherited from a deceased uncle he's never heard of.

A cold breeze made me shiver. It was actually a beautiful, hot summer day. But the closer we got to the house, the colder I felt.

Welcome to Dead House offers a satisfying blend of camp and creepiness:

I started up the stairs and then stopped.
Above me on the landing stood a strange girl, about my age, with short black hair. She was smiling down at me, not a warm smile, not a friendly smil
James Trevino
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun little read. It reminded me of that Tales From the Crypt TV show I used to love as a kid. Yep, full on nostalgia hit! Plus bonus points for the cool cover. And yeah, I know that should't matter, but c'mon! Who doesn't love a nice cover?!
Anne
I read this because I promised my 11 year old that I would read it with him. He hates to read anything that isn't a comic book, or at the very least, in graphic novel format. Since he loves all things creepy, I thought that this would be a great way to finally get the kid to read something with actual chapters!
I think this is probably as close to perfect as it gets for a reluctant reader like my son. The chapter are short (two or three pages at the most), and yet packed with super-creepy stuff.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I probably won't give any of these full reviews, but I grew up on the Goosebumps series and adored it so much that I've decided to pick it back up from the beginning. I'll probably only be reading the "main"/original series, but we'll see.

This was so much more fun than I remembered it being. I know I read this a few times as a kid, and read it again in my teens to find it boring, but I couldn't put it down today and had a blast revisiting Stine's writing style and his weird little ideas. It's pr
Becky
So, my friend Stepheny put it out there that she wanted to read these this summer and was all...

I raised my hand. Because when I was a kid, I LOVED these books. They came out around the time I turned 10, and I was that kid who read anything and everything I could. I was the girl who WANTED reading homework. I looked forward to the Scholastic Book Fair all year long. I did the summer reading program and read circles around my classmates. By the time these books were being published, I was alread
Fuzaila
“We killed someone who was already dead.”

There, that one sentence just about sums up how ridiculous the concept of this book is.

I remember the time when I first started reading, which was some four years ago. Our school library was so poorly stocked. The only books it held were the many different editions of classic books and THESE. Goosebumps books. I used to read them and love them then, but now, I don’t even want to think I used to love them once.

The Plot

Amanda and Josh are not at a
✨Sumi's Books✨
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
#1 "It will just kill you."
The old house that Amanda and Josh just moved into with their parents is not haunted... Or is it? Things get crazy in this ghostly tale of the ominous haunted house.
As the first book in the series of the Goosebumps franchise, while not my favorite, I'd have to say it's still one of the great ones.
Richard Cardenas
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!

Read the original audio book from the 90s on YouTube. It was just as awesome and spooky as I remember it. :)
Tyler J Gray
3.5

I feel slightly jipped because it was originally published in 1992 but there were years in the story in here of later, that was obviously changed from the original publishing and it makes me wonder what else, if anything, they might have changed :(. I guess I should have been picky about trying to get first editions after all, dang it. I didn't know they changed things..sorry about the bitterness.

Otherwise it was a nice creepy read. Slightly (but not entirely) predictable. Kind of lackluster
Carmen
May 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids interested in horror but not allowed to watch horror movies; Parents
Amanda and Josh didn't want to move to their new house. It's creepy - they see the faces of children in the windows and hear them whispering and giggling in their rooms.

Nobody can turn down a free house, though, and they inherited from their dead uncle in a stroke of luck (I'm not sure "luck" would be the word I'd use).

At least the kids in the neighborhood are nice. Well, except for that time they surrounded the siblings in a circle while holding baseball bats in a threatening manner.

And Petey
Juli
Yep...I'm 50 years old and I'm reading Goosebumps books. Why not? The stories are fun, a bit creepy, and have a lot of nostalgia for me. Back when my oldest son was little I used to read these books out loud to him. Sometimes he would read to me. :) We did different voices for the characters and acted out the action, often ending up laughing and just having a great time. My son is now a grown man, married, and stationed in San Diego with the US Navy. This year, I promised myself I would read (or ...more
Nikki
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book Level 3.7 / AR Points 3.0
Shelves: childrens-shelf
So it’s like this. 12 year old Amanda and her 11 year old little brother Josh aren’t too thrilled about being uprooted from the house they’ve lived in their entire life just because some dead Uncle Charlie (that no one even knew anyway) left their Dad a house in his will. But here they are in Dark Falls anyway, because really, there’s only so much whining and complaining a kid can do. So like I said, now we’re at this creepy old house covered in shade trees (along with the rest of the neighborho ...more
Sara Saif
It spooked me alright but it wasn't mind-numbingly clever or horrifying. I guess for a 147 page book it was okay. I'm glad I found this series though because the books are short and I need to read more of this genre.
Latasha
If only!

I didn't read Goosebumps as a kid, I was a Fear Street gal. Someone in my book club picked this as part of our R.L. Stine challenge. So I grabbed this from my library without even reading what it was about. A haunted house?I guessed a tiny spoiler but was surprised by most of the book. I loved this! If I had read this in 1992, I would have been hooked.
Amber J
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

My daughter has a taste for scary book. (Takes after her mom.) So she asked me if we could read a scary book. So I asked myself, "What kinda scary book can I read to my 8 year old?" And thats the story of why a 33 year old woman is reading goosebumps.

The story was cute. Its a nice little scare for younger ag
Jory P.
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Where is everyone?" I asked, looking up and down the empty street. "It's really dead around here, huh?"
He chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

TALK ABOUT FORESHADOWING. GOOD ONE, STINE.

I decided this year would FINALLY be my Year of Stine. I couldn't resist. I wanted to jump into the books of my young adolescent life. I've got to tell you, this is going to be super fun for me. Reading Welcome To Dead House was like a blast from my youth past. I used to love this book. Like a lot. It w
Nefeli
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Yeah, yeah, I know, many of you read these as kids and you love them, how dare I. Well, the dog dies, so there you have it.

Still, it was better than the first season of American Horror Story.
Bonnie
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, library
Guess what time it is, guys? Time for a walk down memory lane. It’s October so naturally I’ve been immersing myself in all things scary and one night I was reminiscing about where my love of horror began and I started thinking about revisiting Goosebumps. Well, it happened. First off, do you realize the first Goosebumps came out in 1992?

No, it was not, thus making me feel officially fucking ancient I’ll tell you what. I love the idea of re-reading my childhood favorites, but what happens if its
Stephen Robert Collins
BANNED in USA & Canadian Libuaries ...more
Lyndy Ann ♫
I started taking reading seriously in 2012 after FSoG as many on here did, I have always wished I had read the Goosebumps series when they first came out, I love a good ghost story so I am going to give them a go and I need a change from my usual genre, getting repetitive.

So of course, with my OCD I am starting with book One in the Goosebumps series - Welcome to Dead House.

17/02/20

Goosebumps review of #1 - Welcome to Dead House = 👻👻👻

Haunted House  ✔
Spooky kids  ✔
Ghosts  ✔
Scary showdown  ✔

As this
Emm C²
This is the first entry and probably the best Goosebumps (right up there with Terror Tower and One Night in Horrorland). My nostalgia filter might be running a bit high when I rate it a solid five-star, but there are reasons to love it still. It's aged a lot better than some of the series, as well.

For one, this series, starting with Dead House, got so many kids into reading that wouldn't normally have. And I do mean MANY. These books were (and still are) the "In" thing for kids who love spooky s
Sully (thysaltymar)
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Welcome to Dead House was the first book in the Goosebumps book series. I read it in our allotted library hours back in my elementary school.
I appreciated this a lot more because this was my first goosebumps book. The story starts with Josh and Amanda moving with their parents into a relic of a house willed to them by their late uncle. Amanda and Josh felt sad about their uncle and they are not too thrilled about the new house or town. Amanda tries to give a chance on liking the new place but s
Holly
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
Bed time story for my daughter. It was fun reading it to her; big nostalgia read for me. One of my favorite series when I was a kid. I'm glad I can share my favorites with her.
Meags
3 Stars

Reader beware - you're in for a scare!

It's still easy to see why the various Goosebumps series were such a big phenomenon in the 90's. They balance the creepy and the fun with expert appeal. Kids eat this stuff up! Hell, I once ate this stuff up. In fact, this particular series can actually be attributed to the start of my reading obsession as a child, and I couldn't be more grateful.

I was about 8 when I read this book for the first time and I know it scared the bejesus out of me! I'm not
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

After watching the movie Goosebumps I have decided to read this series. This is very popular way back when I still in school and at that time this stories creeps the hell out of kids who reads them. I remember I don't usually read this kind of genre in books before.

Now as I finished this one this particular book was not that scary but yeah it was kind of creepy and the way it was written would very much appeal to younger readers. The characters are very well relatable si

• Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #5)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps Presents TV Book, #15)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)

R. L. Stine b

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)