Start by marking “The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)” as Want to Read:
The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)

The Letter of James (Pillar New Testament Commentary)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  295 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Few books in the New Testament are better known or more often quoted as the Letter of James. Because James is so concise, so intensely practical, and so filled with memorable metaphors and illustrations, it has become one of the two or three most popular New Testament books in the church.

This highly original commentary seeks to make the Letter of James clear and applicable
Published February 9th 2000 by Eerdmans (first published January 17th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Letter of James, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letter of James

Josh
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Douglas Moo is a great Pauline scholar and a master of New Testament Greek. In this volume, he turns to the letter of James. It takes a certain level of presumption to find fault in the work of such a man, but I believe that my criticism is just.

Dr. Moo does a great job in his handling of matters of Greek grammar and syntax, as one would expect. However, I believe this commentary leads one to a false conclusion because Dr. Moo tries to read it as a Greek letter. For this reason, he sees it as a
Lindsey
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great commentary. Readable but academic.
Logan
Jun 13, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I suck at doing everything in James. Honestly I always just feel really beat up after reading it because I fail at everything in it. Not asking for wisdom (1:5)? Yup. Hearing the word but not doing it (1:22). Yup. Letting my tongue have free reign (1:26). Neglecting the orphans and widows (1:27).

Who wrote this book? James, the half-brother of Jesus.

Why does the author think so?

If this is the case, why doesn’t he mention his relationship to Jesus when he introduces himself? Because what qualified
Andrea Engle
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2017
A cogently reasoned commentary on that gem of practical Christianity, the Book of James ... makes even detailed discussions of the Greek accessible and definitive ... a masterpiece of exegesis ... should be required reading for every Bible believer ...
Ben Flegal
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moo delves into the cultural mileu - including intertestamental Jewish writings - in order to fully grasp the meaning of James. He deals deeply with the Greek text and does extensive word studies in the NT as well as the LXX in order to find the correct contextual meaning. A very good study of the book.
David Holford
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
It is hard to decide between two and three stars for this commentary, and I would probably give it 2.5 were that option available. I bought it with great anticipation to assist in teaching preparation.

On the positive side, I was impressed with Moo's willingness to note the references in James to the deutero-canonical books of the Old Testament, even if they are indexed as "Early Extrabiblical Literature". I was heretofore unaware of James' reliance on Sirach, for example. Moo is an able exegete
Jamie Page
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, yeah, fantastic commentary on James. My only discouragement, though, is to say that this was the first commentary that I was moderately bored with. Not bored at all because of the content of the commentary. Just that the letter of James is so concise, simple, and practical that it barely needs a commentary. James says, "be a hearer, and a doer." Simple. Just go do something.

The most helpful part of the commentary for me was the breakdown of the text. James, the Proverbs of the New Testament
Drake
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent commentary on the book of James. Douglas Moo did a great job of handling the various exegetical issues in manner that was easy to follow, providing appropriate historical and cultural contexts, connecting the teachings of James to the teachings of Scripture as a whole, and occasionally giving examples of how to practically apply James's message to one's everyday life. Which is pretty much everything a great commentary should do.
Graham
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall a good commentary. The introduction does leave something to be desired. Also, Moo has to do some maneuvers to reconcile his reformed monergistic view of soteriology with James comments in chapter 2. But, this is still a very useful and reliable source for the most part, and succeeds at being accessible at the pastoral or well-read laity level.
Clemmentine77
May 16, 2013 added it
Shelves: theology
After having done my personal devotions in the book of James for a while, I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading James alongside this commentary. It solidified many things that I had concluded from my own personal study as well as gave further insight into some of the things that I still had questions on. It's a great resource in general.
Jeff Holton
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am using this resource as a study aid for my sermon series on the Letter of James. Douglas Moo is exhaustive in his commentary and yet is written in a very readable and easily understood way. The PNTC series is a fantastic series and I would recommend Moo's commentary on James in a heartbeat.
Michael Best
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-studies
Just what I've come to expect in every Moo commentary. Excellent insights, presents thorough arguments, and is very clear in his writing. This commentary was extremely helpful in preparing for lessons through the book of James.
Nick
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really good. Douglas Moo's background knowledge of early extrabiblical literature (especially wisdom literature) allows him to deal with difficult texts well. This is an essential text for studying James.
Mark Schlechty
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource

Moo does a good job of trying to bring in the most relevant scholarship of the day to interpret James. He looks at all angles end typically ends up at the commonsense interpretation when all is said and done.
Brian Pate
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: commentary, 2016
I read most of this commentary while preaching through the book of James, fall 2016.

Very impressed; excellent commentary! Moo does a great job of showing how James relies on the OT, especially Proverbs and Leviticus 19.
Kevin Morse
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you want one commentary on James, get this one. Well written, well reasoned, and thorough. That's all I got.
Luke Evans
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: commentaries
Best commentary on James, IMO.
Josh Gaudreau
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll write a comparative review with some other James commentaries later, but briefly it was a decent and helpful commentary on the book of James to supplement other commentaries used.
Jeff Noble
The Letter of James (Pillar New Testament Commentary) by Douglas J. Moo (?)
Josh McClellan
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the most useful commentaries on James I have come across to date. Theologically insightful but also practically valuable. One of those commentaries that actually helps you with your sermon.
Nicholas A Owens
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • The Book of the Acts
  • Romans
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Book of Revelation
  • Luke
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • 1 Samuel: Looking on the Heart (Focus on the Bible Commentaries)
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Book Of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College Graduate School in Wheaton, Illinois. He is the author of commentaries on Romans, James, 2 Peter and Jude, and Colossians and Philemon and coauthor of An Introduction to the New Testament. He also headed the committee on Bible translation for the NIV revision.
More about Douglas J. Moo...

Pillar New Testament Commentary (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Gospel according to Matthew
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • The Acts of the Apostles
  • Paul's Letter to the Romans (The Pillar New Testament Commentary (PNTC))
  • The First Letter to the Corinthians
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Letter to the Philippians
  • The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon
  • The Letters to the Thessalonians
“The seventeenth-century Jewish philosopher Spinoza observed: "I have often wondered that persons who make boast of professing the Christian religion - namely love, joy, peace, temperance, and charity to all men - should quarrel with such rancorous animosity and display daily towards one another such bitter hatred, that this, rather than the virtues which they profess, is the readiest criteria of their faith.” 0 likes
“James condemns any form of Christianity that drifts into a sterile, actionless "orthodoxy." Faith, not what we do, is fundamental in establishing a relationship with God. But faith, James insists, must be given content. Genuine faith, he insists, always and inevitably produces evidence of its existence in a life of righteous living.” 0 likes