Start by marking “A Beautiful Cage” as Want to Read:
A Beautiful Cage

A Beautiful Cage

Wanted by the Gestapo, Rebecca Bloomberg is on the run for her life. Sheltering in the home of a reporter who writes absurd lies for a Nazi propaganda newspaper is hardly an ideal solution. Irresistibly drawn to the man, she dares not trust him, until she discovers his journalist position is a mask for involvement in an anti-Nazi resistance ring.
Gustav Von Furst has done a
Published (first published August 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Beautiful Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beautiful Cage

Alyson Reuben
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, what can I say? I wrote this book, researched hard, wrote hard, and gave it my loving and devoted attention — so, I'm definitely rating it five stars! I hope all A Beautiful Cage's future readers love reading it as much as I loved writing Gustav and Rebecca's story.
Vanessa Booke
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyson Reuben's A Beautiful Cage is a historical romance filled with unique characters and bitter sweet moments. Reuben does a wonderful job creating the world around her two main characters Gustav and Rebecca. At times the book was a little confusing because it would jump from past to present and vice versa and the voice of the author was not always clearly present but, overall the characters from A Beautiful Cage were entertaining and memorable. I especially loved Gustav's grandmother and the ...more
Jessica Ruben
It was a fantastic story that was beautiful and heart breaking. It's a 4.5 but I rounded up. I just wish there was more character development and a longer story. A lot of it was spent describing the characters' past when I really wanted to know more of what was going on at that moment. Who am I kidding... It was just wonderful and I wholly recommend it if you're looking for a great HR.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
originally posted at http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

This poignant love story, set in one of the most troubled times of modern of history, is not only about unswerving love, but also about the psychological subjugation of a people to the point that they are willing to commit genocide. The atrocities of mob-mentality sparked by Hitler create a setting for this historical romance.

Rebecca Bloomberg, the pretty, intelligent, outgoing daughter of a Jewish banker, lives a life of privilege unt
Got Romance!  Reviews
ISBN:1-60154-958-X
Genre: Romance
Length:96000 words
Rating: 5 stars
Heat : 4 The young couple has sex many times and it is described in detail.
Other: There is the use of vulgar language and some violence.
Reviewer: Katherine
Date9/30/2011

There is something mysterious and sexy about WWII for me so when I saw this book I knew I had to read it. The book highlights the fact that there was a resistance movement
Katherine Grey
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Alyson Reuben’s A Beautiful Cage is a great read for anyone interested in a wonderful story set against the back drop of World War II. The story is full of suspense and kept me turning the pages wanting to know what was going to happen next.

Rebecca Bloomberg, whose loved ones have been taken from her and sent to a concentration camp, is a gutsy young woman the reader can immediately sympathize with. She’s thrust into a way of life that forces her to trust the one man she shouldn’t – Gustav Von
Mimi Barbour
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Nazi Germany in Berlin in 1934 is the setting used in "The Beautiful Cage" and tends to explain, somewhat, the premise of the plot – as does the title. However, the skill woven throughout each page captured my full attention, allowing me to live in the heart-wrenching moments this poor Jewish girl experienced, fearing for her life. From the author's first description of her hero and heroine to the very end of the story, she kept me enthralled with the love growing and encircling Rebecca and Gust
Rf
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for a lot more out of this book when I bought it. I had just read All the Light We Cannot See and The Nightingale. Those were excellent books set during WWII, and I was interested in reading another book set during WWII. I also was looking for a book that had a more central love story. Unfortunately, what I got in A Beautiful Cage was a book that was not very well written and whose love scenes read like a romance novel. I was not looking for the latter, and, even if you are, there a ...more
Kat
Feb 11, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat by: Rachel
I usually like to avoid works by authors who feel the need to skew the ratings by smugly, cringe-worthily rating their own work 5 stars (TWICE!), but it's a rec from my bestie so here I go.
Nancy
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely story. Alyson Reuben has captured the essence of World War 2 horrors, and fed them appropriately into a tale of enduring love. Harboring a Jew in Germany during World War 2 didn’t have many happy endings, but Alyson has managed to do this so well in A Beautiful Cage. I really enjoyed the development of the love between Rebecca and Gustav. I also liked how Alyson dealt with the themes of familial love, courage, and trust-in a war-time environment where trust was so in doubt. A very ...more
Jerrie Alexander
I started this book yesterday and finished it today. Alyson Reuben did her research and brought Gustav and Rebecca's story to life. I love the way she wove their horrible situation into a strong and abiding love. She made me cry as the book evolved, and I think any who touches a readers emotions has put out one heck of a good book.
Bee
This is a beautiful book. I love how it's peppered with German phrases; it makes it seem more realistic. I love forbidden love affairs like the one depicted in this novel. It was also...kinda...hot, which I have not come to expect from novels about the War. A beautiful cage indeed. With a beautiful guy.
Ellie Keaton
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2-books
I really enjoyed this book which I finished late last month. I love stories set in WW2 but this was unusual as it was set in the period leading up to the war. The characters were very real. I would have loved more information on what happened to Rebecca's family - Maybe the author plans on writing more books. I would certainly read them.

Elle
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Cage is indeed a beautiful story. Reuben's characters came alive on the page with a plethora of emotions, and took me along their journey in a whirlwind of laughter, tears, smiles and fears. It's not often that I cry while reading. With this book I did for a number of reasons. Thought provoking, tragic and inspiring, A Beautiful Cage is a must read for all fans of historical romance.
Summer
Jewish and Catholic love story during Germany's Nazi era. A bit corny at times but don't be alarmed, I still think this such a cute romantic story. Light easy read and love how she incorporated a lot of the German language into the book.
Aleasha
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read, encompassing war time Germany, living as a Jew, past and present love affairs and intrigue. I felt the end was wrapped up a little too quick for my liking, but overall a brilliant read. I loved Gustav and Rebecca!
Greg Roberts
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. A fictional pre-WWII history with romance, (which isn't really my thing since I'm a guy and don't usually read romances) but the intrigue and historical details were intense and kept me wanting to find out what happened next.
Marty Cerier
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book about Nazi Germany. Some excellent twists and turn - a jewish woman hidden in a Nazi's home. Very intense at times in the drama and also the lovemaking parts. Worth the time to read.
Amy
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Could've been written so much better.
Tomio
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on the goodreads giveaway.

Captivating from cover to cover. The most interesting story I have read in a long time. Thank you Alyson Reuben.
Melissa
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
It was ok. Thought it could have been better developed could have been made into longer book with more in depth characters. It was ok overall.
Lora Lowery
Hard to get into the story but after a break, I went back to it and finished. I’m glad I did, but definitely not my favorite WW2 historical fiction book.
I enjoyed the romantic elements between Gustave and Rebecca. I thought they rounded each other out very well. In the uncertain and dangerous times they were in, their romance shown all the more. While the romantic stuff was sweet and all, I felt the author had way too much of a reliance on sex to further the story and illustrate their romance. I felt like these two didn't interact before the clothes were flying and moans were filling the air. Maybe a little more conversation and relationship bui ...more
A
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I'm not sure why this book has a rating under 4 (especially considering the caliber of many of the 5 star indie books but that's another rant) but A Beautiful Cage is a hidden gem judging by the low number of reviews.

I loved the writing style, the author showed instead of told which is what I need to feel invested in the book and for it to seem real. I loved the main characters, it's rare in romance books these days that I don't hate at least one of them - one of the main characters,
Jill Goldstein
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, please....don't even bother with this book. I love historical fiction and found this version very lame. The love story that took over the entire plot was not even believable. I'm not a prude, but the amount of sex in the book did not add to the story or the character development. A poor attempt at a mystery within the plot fell rather short. And I hate to be picky, but I think the editor/author missed a few points...in two consecutive paragraphs, money is refered to as a mark and then a doll ...more
Diane Luzar
This was more of a fluff piece with so much sex going on. Didn't expect that. I don't mind reading about the sex but in a story about the Nazis, I thought it was misplaced. A touch here and there would have been better than describing everything they did together, which was a lot. Wow!
Mary Cleary
Apr 14, 2019
Alyson Reuben
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
  • Gracianna
  • The Major's Daughter
  • Anya
  • Obedience
  • A City of Broken Glass (Hannah Vogel, #4)
  • Where Treasure Hides
  • The Witness House: Nazis and Holocaust Survivors Sharing a Villa during the Nuremberg Trials
  • Resistance
  • The Lost Book of Mala R.
  • Louise's War (Louise Pearlie, #1)
  • The Red Rooster
Determined to become an author while still in elementary school, Alyson Reuben frequently found herself in trouble for writing stories while she should’ve been studying for math tests. Some years later, by combining a love of history with her enthusiasm for storytelling, she seeks to entertain readers with passionate accounts of vintage romance. Occasionally, she still find herself in trouble for ...more