Start by marking “Stay Out of the Basement (Goosebumps, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)

Stay Out of the Basement

(Goosebumps #2)

Dr. Brewer is doing a little plant-testing in his basement. Nothing to worry about. Harmless, he says. But Margaret and Casey Brewer are worried about their father. Especially when they...meet...some of the plants he is growing down there. Then they notice that their father is developing plant like tendencies. In fact, he is becoming distinctly weedy-and seedy. Is it just ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Stay Out of the Basement, please sign up.
Chloe Leung I use this website called Internet Archive. If you become a member(which you can be for free), you can read many books for free, including the daisy…moreI use this website called Internet Archive. If you become a member(which you can be for free), you can read many books for free, including the daisy books, which is the types that are disabled for the people who aren't members.(less)

Start your review of Stay Out of the Basement (Goosebumps, #2)
Hannah Greendale
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, middle-grade
Margaret's father may be a botanist, but what he's doing in the basement suggests he may be a mad scientist.

A tall, treelike plant sighed and appeared to bend toward them, raising its tendrils as if beckoning to them, calling them back.

This book is undeniably kitschy, and then - BOOM! - the author drops some serious science into the mix: DNA, genome mapping, reproductive isolation, genetic modification and transgenics. These topics are explored in simpler terms, but they're nonetheless
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]

I only reread this one because I mean serious business about doing a full series reread of the "original" Goosebumps titles (where does that even end, though, I wonder? yet TBD), but I distinctly remembered reading this installment once and only once as a kid because I disliked it so much. I just think it's incredibly boring and apparently, that feeling hasn't changed in the 20-ish years since I first read it.
Archit Ojha
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks

This was a jittery one.

Even for the brave hearted.

Two common children, siblings, are happy that their dad is doing plant research in their basement.

The research is all harmless, says the blurb. Nothing to worry about.

Believe me that's a white lie.

Whatever happens you should not go venturing into the basement. There's where strange things reside.

The curiosities of the children gets peeked up on seeing their dad exhibit traits of plants. Is he a freak botanist? Do they go and find out the truth in
✨The Reading
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
#2 "Something's waiting in the dark...."
Margaret and Casey continue to worry about their father and his strange experiments on Plants he's doing in the basement. They are just harmless experiments... Right? Very unique concept.
Becky
Sooooo... Book two. I liked this story quite a bit more than the series opening book. It had some issues, but on the whole, it was a better story and made a hell of a lot more sense than Welcome to Dead House.

The premise here is that the family moved to Cali for Dad to take a job in a science lab... but then his experiments started getting a little... strange and dangerous, and so he was let go. But he didn't care, he just kept up the work -- IN THE BASEMENT THAT EVERYONE SHOULD STAY OUT OF!
Tyler J [They/He] Gray
I remember watching this when I was a kid, don't think I read it though.

Margaret and Casey's dad has been fired from his job, he's a scientist. Since he's been fired he's been working very hard in the basement on his plant experiments....plant and human DNA gets mixed together with scary results.

I loved the kids being kids, being told not to go in the basement and what they do? Go in the basement. It's too tempting! Also how they miss their father, he used to spend some time with them but now
Sara Saif
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, its-a-tie
It took forever for the kids to open that closet (don't go in the basement, they go in the basement, don't go in the basement, they go in the basement, two more times until fiiinaallllyyyy they get to the closet) but otherwise I liked it well enough.
Carmen
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
What if a loved one began acting strangely? Quite unlike their normal self? At first you think they are just stressed, or perhaps you worry that they are sick. Until some strange things start happening. Things that make you question if your loved one is even really the person they seem to be.

Margaret Brewer and her younger brother Casey live in sunny California. They're spending their days going to school, playing with friends, and teasing each other. But then their father, the botanist Dr.
itchy
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: soft
moral:
stay out of the basement
Alex findingmontauk1
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The second book in the Goosebumps series, Stay Out Of The Basement, did not disappoint! What started out slightly slow picked up in a couple of chapters. On the surface this book is about a father who was recently been fired from his job, his obsession with making a scientific breakthrough, his descent into madness, and the two children suffering to learn their father's secrets. Stay Out Of The Basement is a brilliant combination of a story where Poison Ivy meets Frankenstein meets Little Shop ...more
Bookishrealm
Update 9/3/18! Here's my full review: http://www.bookishrealmreviews.com/20...

3.5 stars (I read this for Booktubeathon 2018) This was one of the more creepy books in the series for me because it literally made my skin crawl haha. I was not expecting to be so grossed out by the plot, but the idea of a human turning into a plant really really threw me for a loop. I listened to this on audiobook and rather enjoyed the narrator. If you haven't picked up the Goosebumps series I would definitely
Shawn Thornton
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Introducing my daughter to the wonderful world of horror. She loved it. l have always wanted to read these books. Now I have perfect excuse. Great fun.
✨Jordan✨
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Margaret and Casey Brewer realize something is wrong with their dad. He used to play with them and call them cute nicknames but ever since he lost his job a couple weeks ago he has been spending ALL of his time done in the basement with his plant experiments. When their mom leaves for a couple days and they are left alone with their dad strange things start happening. Margaret catches him eating fertilizer, bleeding green blood, and growing leave stems out of his head!! When they sneak into the ...more
Andrew Greatbatch
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I loved this one.

Although, these cliffhanger endings are really frustrating, seeing as most of the books in this series are standalone, and I want to know what happens next, Damn you!
Amy (libraryofamy)
I remember loving Goosebumps books as a kid, but this is the only one that I could remember as an adult. I finally found a copy of it at the used bookstore I work at and decided I’d indulge in some nostalgia!

This story is pretty spooky. I remember the ending left me very disturbed as a kid, and it’s still eerie now.

It’s quick and easy, I read it all in about an hour. A perfect Halloween read.
Melwyn
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
The book I am reviewing name is Goosebumps Stay out of the basement by RL Stines. It is a science fiction book. My thinking is the books theme is that never listen too your dad if he has leaves sprouting of his scalp.

The book starts with DR Brewer (he is scientist who research on plants) shifts his experiments into the basement because he gets fired from his job. One day Casey and Margaret (Dr Brewer’s kids) went into the basement to call their dad but unfortunately they get yelled at by their
Luffy
This is the 2nd book in the Goosebumps series, and I do think the first one was better, although both tales have similar scores. I've always wondered whether people whose favorite genre is horror are really frightened by what they read. And if not, then why do they keep coming back. Fear is an emotion everyone wants to avoid. Genuine fear has only recently in our history been isolated from its companion, Danger. The fear in a bungee jump, say, is almost devoid of danger, that's why it's a ...more
Brendan
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, goosebumps
Stine has crafted another interesting storyline that keeps this moving along like a B grade 80s horror film. The characters have strong arcs and its great to see they have most of the focus, I think this why the Goosebumps book survived for so long. The central concept is quite like a tv serial, monster of the week but who cares when you are provided with some quick twists and turns. The book never ends like one would suspect and I've started to guess the ending within the first few chapters. I ...more
Tracey
Reread from childhood. It's cute. I remember it not being very scary as a kid, and of course it's less so now. It was still fun.

description
Alexander Draganov
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another five star read from R.L.Stine. "Goosebumps" is great, like short, sweet creepypastas, who can also be funny, but still disturbing. (view spoiler) - it sounds absurd, but eerie as well. Loved it.
Review in Bulgarian here:
Harvey
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing could be more attractive than daddy's deep dirty secrets down in the basement.
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
This book is quite good, not that scary. I just love how it caters to teenagers.
Kirk
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t expect to like this one. It was the last of the available titles that looked appealing at the library, and it was short, so low risk.

It actually turned out to be one of the better ones I have read so far.

The common theme with Goosebumps that is different when compared to adult horror is the source of fear.

In a few of the other books, it boiled down to the fear of not being believed as something terrible happened to you. Something no one else could see happening. The dummy knew when to
DeAnna Knippling
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dad gets fired from his job as a plant geneticist for lack of ethics. Now he's hiding out in the basement and won't allow anyone else in. What could possibly go wrong?

I liked this one, probably more than the first in the series. A few good twists, and some tropes that I wasn't expecting to see next to each other :) A quick, page-turning read.
Jeff
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever remember reading. I mean, I'm sure that my parents and grandparents read me stories as a yute, but the Goosebumps series is one I can remember choosing to read; this nuance is important.

My copy of Stay Out of the Basement is with the original cover, a green very detailed hand coming out of the basement. This is the original edition from 1992, from when I was 10 years old. I have to say, the nostalgia of holding the same book I read almost 20 years ago is a high
Juan
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Goosebumps: stay out of the basement is a great book. This book is mysterious and eerie. This book is about two kids and their crazy father.The kids are named Casey and Margaret. The story starts when the children's father starts to act very wierd and suspicious. The kids think something happened to their father, but they don't know what. The kids suspect it has something to do with him workng down in their basement. Casey and Margarets father is working with plants and machines down in the ...more
David Santos
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
Well "Welcome to Dead House" was better in my opinion. I'm not to keen on plant/human scientific dna stuff and I kind of knew what was happening from the start so the story was kind a dragged on for me, but still a very interesting book.

Judging a book by its cover (the other editions clearly show a human plant) I expected a completely different story. Like a monster in the basement killing all visitors or something, but it turned out alright.

One thing I realized after reading this book, was that
Melissa Maillet
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
My daughters and I recently read Goosebumps #1. Where that book was written in classic ghost story style, Stay Out of the Basement was much more modern. Where the first book had many gothic elements, this one was more typical of today's off beat horror works. The first book had a creepy feel the entire way through the book while number two just felt weird.
One thing the books did have in common was a cliffhanger ending. Stine obviously uses this technique purposely. In the first book it felt very
Alexandra
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing read in the Goosebumps series. R.L. Stine is on a roll here. Who the hell would have thought these books would still be enjoyable after all these years?
This book was actually scary. In a way, scarier than an adult book would be because it is told in the point of view of a young child & her little brother, whose mom has to go to Arizona to be with her sick sister and leaves the kids alone with their insane father who spends literally ALL his time locked in the basement
Josiah
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could definitely see upgrading my review of this book to two and a half stars, if that option were officially available.
Paying homage to movies such as Little Shop of Horrors while maintaining an original and thrilling narrative, R.L. Stine has followed up his first Goosebumps book, Welcome To Dead House, with another fresh, taut story.
It seems to me that Stay Out of the Basement allows us a bit deeper of a look into the inner feelings and lives of these main characters, Casey and Margaret,
Goosebumps Fans: I was asked to talk about the books that made me an author... 2 18 Apr 04, 2016 07:56AM
Goosebumps Read-A...: Stay Out of the Basement 1 7 Oct 04, 2015 01:28PM
first entry-why I chose this book? 4 14 Sep 25, 2014 03:37PM

• Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps Presents TV Book, #15)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #5)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)

R. L. Stine

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)