Start by marking “Welcome to Camp Nightmare (Goosebumps, #9)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)

Welcome to Camp Nightmare

(Goosebumps #9)

Welcome to Camp Nightmare It's the little camp of horrors! Next summer you'll stay home ... if you survive! Billy thinks that life at camp is a bit creepy, but when other campers start to disappear and his parents do not answer his letters, Camp Nightmoon becomes Camp Nightmare.
Published September 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Camp Nightmare, please sign up.
Autumn First, you learn how to read... Then you open the book and start to read from page 1.

Rebecca McNutt
While not exactly spooky, Welcome to Camp Nightmare carries enough suspense and mystery to even be perplexing for adult readers. This is also one of R.L. Stine's earlier books in the Goosebumps series to feature more characters than usual, leading to more plot complexity when people start to go missing or appear to have been "removed" for some malicious purpose. For main character Billy, the increased gaslighting coupled with the creepy camp staff, strange events and bizarre rumors, leads him to ...more
✨Tamara
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#9 "It's the little camp of horrors!"
Camp is always weird your first time going. Strange noises out in the woods, weird acting camp counselors... people disappearing? What could be terrorizing Billy and his new friends at Camp Nightmoon? Another fantastic ending. I never saw it coming!
Justin Padilla
more concise. (January 2010)

Billy has just been sent off to Camp Nightmoon by his mom and dad. While on the bus to camp, Billy encounters many characters, such as Mike, the fat kid who's scared of everything; Colin, who wears sunglasses and a red bandana around his long brown hair; Jay, the jockish kid with wild curly red hair and Dawn and Dori, two girls from the Girl Camp faction of Camp Nightmoon. The busdriver stops the vehicle in the middle of a desert on the way to the camp and orders eve
Alison
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I think this was my favorite goosebumps read of this year (though I only read 3). It kept me on my toes and I couldn’t put it down. I just had to know what happened. It was the creepiest of the 3 that I read too.
I will say the ending was quite a big let down, but I’m also used to adult thrillers, which don’t always have happy endings like kids’ books do.
Αταλάντη Ευριπίδου
I will be copy-pasting this for every Goosebumps novel I'll be reading.

On a whim, I decided to read all of the Goosebumps books. Some of them I've read before but, for the most part, I haven't. I won't be giving any stars; this doesn't mean anything about my actual opinion for the books, it only means that I don't think I can realistically, objectively rank 62 books which are not even meant for my age. I did enjoy the ones I read as a child and I am enjoying the ones I'm reading now, so that's w
Carmen
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Billy is 12 and going to his first overnight camp.

First, the bus driver drops them off in the middle of nowhere after putting on a monster mask and scaring the crap out of the kids. Then, while waiting for someone to pick them up, the kids are attacked by these weird creatures. A man called "Uncle Al" shows up and frightens them away by shooting at them with a rifle.

Once they actually get to Camp, things are even stranger. There's no nurse or medical aid. Kids are getting injured and disappearin
Sally906
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, childrens
I avoid the horror genre like the plague so when I am required to read horror for a challenge I turn to children's horror - I can manage that - just!

R.L. Stine wrote his Goosbumps series in the 1990s and my daughters devoured them. They are about as scary as I can cope with!

Billy is off to his first Summer Camp and a bit nervous about his first time away from his parents. It soon turns out that he has every reason to be nervous. First the camp bus deserts them on the side of the road where they
Stephanie Gillespie
Listened to this on audiobook with my son. The story is pretty great. It's a typical scary camp story.I remember I owned this one as a kid, but couldn't remember how it ended. Of course, there's a crazy twist ending. I just love these books !
Jessica
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Goosebumps was so popular when I was a kid, we would get in fights in the library over who got to check the new one out next. No joke.
Kirk
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good one. The creepy atmosphere is established early on, much earlier than the first book in the series.

I really felt bad for the protagonist in this one. Scared. The sense of isolation and being trapped sucked. To make it worse, he’s just a kid. What the hell is he going to do to get out of a mess like this.

There’s also a collective denial he’s facing. And apathy. It is every kid’s nightmare, I would have to assume. Hell, I have felt like I’m taking crazy pills and no one else seems
Andrew
Have to admit, at first I didn't quite understand where this story was going, but then I started getting an idea. I was wrong because there were two twists at the end that I never saw coming...and one of 'em I don't even KNOW where it came from, but it pretty much told me that the entire story didn't even take place where I thought it did.

Billy and his friends Dawn and Dori are going to separate camps. Billy to a boys camp and the two girls to a girls camp. Eventually, the characters start call
David Santos
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goosebumps
Now I know where Ashton Kutcher got it from! This book was very interesting. I've been camping many times, with a group and as a counsler, so I can relate to the story of weird sounds or no sounds at all and people disappearing. (yes they did return)

I hated the ending. I guess being a "children's book" they had to end it on a PG note, but my goodness it was such a good book could have been much better towards the end.

No science fiction in this book, well almost none and I guess that's why I enjo
Adamaris Jauregui
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kimberly Larreta
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was about these kids who went to a camp with their school. When they got to camp the bus driver stopped kicked everyone out and took their stuff out of the bus and left them in the middle of nowhere.I would recommend this book to people who like spooky stories.
Amber
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015, childhood
I always loved the end of these.
Highness Atharva
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book stands off from the complete Goosebumps series. It is chilling indeed and I was enthusiastic to read "Welcome to Camp Nightmare" cause I've been to a handful if camps while I was younger and its a lot of fun. Err. Not for young Billy, it seems. The Camp Nightmoon (Aka Nightmare) is truly horrifying for young kids and especially the counselors and Uncle Al. The forbidden Room, the Sabre attack, Rogers death, Larry's personality, The girls Camp. Especially Dawn and Dori, The events at th ...more
Fox
So, this book had some merits as far as a decent Goosebumps book goes. Once more, an eye-roll for the ending and the unforgivable nature of things like the Forbidden Bunk never being explored.

Welcome to Camp Nightmare is effective in eliciting the fear of a kid being thrust into the utter unknown of summer camp. One by one it makes every fear a kid in a first time sleep away camp might have real. No nurse. No way to contact home. Kids getting hurt and going missing with no explanation or care,
Nicola Mansfield
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good one! Starts out totally creepy and doesn't let up until the end. Billy narrates his own story of summer camp and weird things happen right from the bus trip out there, things get dangerous, spooky, kids disappear, etc. until the final twist ending. Which is pretty good even though I did figure it out but what you don't see coming is the extra, extra twist on the last page, last paragraph that cues that awesome Twilight Zone music for a super horror story ending. Fun!
Danny
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-books
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Edward Ledesma
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was good because R.L Stine described the book very well like telling us that the clouds were blocking the sky.I recommend this book to any who loves scary stories/creepy.To me this book was really good and I feel like R.L Stine put a lot of thought in this book.
Samanyaaron
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't expecting that ending.It was pretty good.
Alejandro Fernandez
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
My book was kinda of boring and kind of funny.My opinion on this book is that it is a good book to read and it is enjoyable.I recommend this book to my friend Jose because he likes goosebumps books.
Elena Leyva
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**I read this book in participation of the Goosebumps-a-long hosted by Richard Denny**

Literally would’ve never thought the ending would end the way it did. This book is so good at the ending of every chapter it has you wanting to continue to read so I read this book in one sitting as you can see. RL Stine is simply a genius he literally has you not knowing how his stories are going to end and he has you on the edge of your seat throughout his books. he has you wondering and doing deductive reaso
Yon Nyan (BiblioNyan)
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-l-stine
Those scary stories about camp are all coming true...
Instalment nine is about a kid who gets dumped at a summer camp by his parents and quickly realises that things aren't as copacetic as he initially hoped!

I was surprised by this. It definitely has the creep factor down and it was also pretty atmospheric. I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Although, I will admit that I'm definitely not planning on camping anytime soon... like ever, haha. In addition, the traditional plot tw
Sam
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not entirely sure how to rate this fairly as this is the first Goosebumps book I’ve read since I was a kid. I have nothing to compare it to, so I may change it later. I will say though, that the ending was unexpected and reminded me of The Twilight Zone (this is a good thing).
Steph [They/Them] (Wickedjr Reads)
O.O

I did not see that coming. This woulda scared the bejebus outta me as a kid. Still creepy.
Sarah Nessler
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 9th installment in the Goosebumps series. This takes place at a camp "Camp Nightmoon", what sounds like fun turns out to be...Yet another intriguing story from Stine.
Melissa Loucks
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite one so far while rereading them. It was actually a pretty good "scary" story.
Rachael Hobson
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
Engaging. But I have so many questions!
Rachel
Even after 25 years, this was still really good!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: (SOLVED)Wrong page number for 0439568463 3 15 Oct 01, 2017 04:35AM
Cooler than EVER 11 18 Mar 19, 2014 03:21PM
Halloween, horror lovers group... 2 16 Jun 03, 2013 08:55AM
camper trailers 1 9 May 28, 2009 03:07AM

• Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • Dawn's Big Date (The Baby-Sitters Club, #50)
  • The Threat (Animorphs, #21)
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps Presents TV Book, #15)

R. L. Stine b

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)