Start by marking “Don't Just Sign... Communicate!: A Student's Guide to Mastering ASL Grammar” as Want to Read:
Don't Just Sign... Communicate!: A Student's Guide to Mastering ASL Grammar

Don't Just Sign... Communicate!: A Student's Guide to Mastering ASL Grammar

Are You Making Common Signing Errors? Make no mistake about it... when venturing into the world of American Sign Language, the first thing you must understand is that ASL is its own language. It is different from English. ASL is also not like other Signing Systems. Like any other Language, ASL contains its own unique rules of syntax, phonology, grammar, etc. To become flue ...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Judea Media, LLC (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Just Sign... Communicate!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Just Sign... Communicate!

Jessica Horne
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017_books
It was pretty good, not perfect. It explains some basics but more variety of examples would have been nice to help me understand the concepts. It has photos but it's hard to be clear on what's happening without videos. I mainly wanted to know the word order so I appreciated the glossing.
Olivia
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ddbhh
While most ASL/DIS students go out and buy all of the dictionaries, they would be wise to also seek out Michelle Jay's book on grammar, since you cannot have one without the other! I have read this book for the third time since taking my first ASL course, and a refresher always helps!

I am looking forward to seeking out her other work, both in the "Don't Just Sign...Communicate!" series and her published work in scholarly journals!
Matthew Korniczky
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was good, especially for me, a beginning signer. The pictures are hard to follow, so I had to buy an ASL dictionary with it. But, if you are looking to begin ASL and need a grammar book, I would recommend it.
Jill
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, deaf
Good book for basics. I wanted more details about grammar, especially mouth movements.
Rebecca
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This isn't a bad little reference book, especially for beginning signers, though I'm not 100% on some of what she says in the book as being real accurate. And of course, videos (or real people!) are always better resources than any book.

I was looking for something on ASL Grammar, and this book is OK, but not really what I was going for.
Suzanne
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
easy to follow. wish I had gotten it in print rather than the digital copy because it'll be good to reference in the future
Scottt
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent intro to Deaf culture with tons of resources to learn more. Lots of significant events in Deaf history are covered. Just a really well-written book for beginning ASL learners.
Shannon
Apr 26, 2014
Lucia
Mar 10, 2016
Stephanie
rated it did not like it
May 01, 2014
christian abreu
Jun 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »