Start by marking “The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs” as Want to Read:
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  156,986 ratings  ·  3,154 reviews
You thought you knew the story of the “The Three Little Pigs”… You thought wrong.

In this hysterical and clever fracture fairy tale picture book that twists point of view and perspective, young readers will finally hear the other side of the story of “The Three Little Pigs.”
Published March 1st 1996 by Puffin Books (first published October 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, please sign up.
Ellen Deckinga I'm almost 4 times as old as you and I LOVE this book. One of my favorites!
If you haven't already, make sure to check out Stinky Cheese Man.…more
I'm almost 4 times as old as you and I LOVE this book. One of my favorites!
If you haven't already, make sure to check out Stinky Cheese Man. Another great one!(less)
Ellen Deckinga Check out the text. Alexander Wolf tells you why he ate the pigs right after discovering the first one, "dead as a door nail".

·  156,986 ratings  ·  3,154 reviews

Anne
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is maybe the BEST 3 Little Pigs story out there.
My daughter saw this on our bookshelf the other day and freaked out (she's 9, so cut her some slack) because she didn't realize we owned it. In her defense, it's a skinny little paperback that had probably been lost between 3 bjillion other skinny little paperbacks on the shelves.
Point is, it's an AWESOME story and since I bought it, that made me AWESOME by default.
Mom Logic. Don't argue.

description

In this version, Alexander T. Wolf tells his side of the story. <--From jail, if that tells you anything.
He's such amade
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 INCREDIBLE ★'s

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs became one of the most popular books in 1989, earning awards, like the New York Times Best Illustrated book. It's also notably popular for its humor. This book, in particular, is narrated by The Big Bad Wolf and he tries to explain to the reader his side of the story as to what happened when he met the three little pigs. This book is reallclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
The
Ronyell
Wolf

“The True Story of the Three Little Pigs” became one of the most popular books in 1989, earning awards, including the New York Times Best Illustrated book. Also, this story is notably popular for its wit and humor as Alexander T. Wolf (Al for short) tries to explain to the reader his side of the story on what happened when he met the three little pigs.

There are so many positive aspects in this story that I would enjoy discussing, but the main positive aspects in this story are the writing and the illustr
Seth
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is so freaking awesome! Everybody should read it- now. Just do it. Just eat it. I mean... whatever. BTW, this is Barbara (Seth's sister )writing Seth's review.
Back (this is Barbara pretending to be Seth)in my day, when I was but a wee lad of the tender age of four or five or something, I was introduced to this marvelous, touching, inspiring, novelty of a book. It changed my whole life, introducing me to a whole new outlook on life.
I read this book so many times (okay, i adm
Candace Robinson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this way back when I was in elementary school for the first time and thought it was a-a-a-awesome. So, when my daughter came into the world eight years ago, I had to get her books to know what awesome truly is! Anyway, I just now remembered to review this book when I saw Anne's review on it because she knows what awesome is as well! Anyway, I love the views on a wolf that is totally misunderstood! I think we are misunderstood in some shape and form throughout our minuscule existence!
Jordan
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
This is one of my favorite books as a child. I always enjoyed the idea that the true story of the three little pigs, was different than what we knew to be true. I have to say even as a child I always liked the big bad wolf better than those annoying little pigs, maybe this was an early sign of my link to liking bad boys. : )
I recently picked up this book again, and read though it. I have to say that many books usually do not stand up to a second read through. Especially if you read the book as
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

I remember being introduced to this book when I was in 7th grade by my civics teacher. She is a lawyer and during that period she wanted to showcase what lawyers do in the courtroom and the jargon terms they use when they prosecute and defend their client. She used this book as the basis and had students play the characters and I was the jury member.

While the students were epic failures in dealing with the court case I treasured this story because everyone and
Marta
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, children
I am framed by the media. WITCH HUNT! Fake news!

Ignore the destroyed houses, my bulging stomach and my raging. Taken out of context. SAD!
Janet
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having grown up with the story of "The Three Little Pigs," when I first read this spoof on the traditional tale, I just had to laugh. The wolf tells his side of the story just like young children always feel it's important to give their version of what happens. According to the wolf, he was not doing anything wrong (what a surprise!) and he's gotten a bum deal ever since the events occurred which are related in the story.

This is a great book to use when teaching point of view. It's e
Becky
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Many variations of the three little pigs story are told with sympathy for the pigs who are being tormented by the big, bad wolf. In this version of the story, the wolf insists that the entire event was a big misunderstanding. He admits to eating the pigs, but insisted it was after they accidentally died. He begs the reader for sympathy, and argues that judging his desire to eat pigs isn't fair since he can't help his appetite. All tactics of manipulation are employed, including talking about his ...more
Chris Ward
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While every child has heard the tale of the Three Little Pigs. Very few have heard the story from the point of view of the poor, germ afflicted, Alexander Wolf
Reading this traditional tale from the point of view of the usual 'baddie,' was very amusing. Particularly, the clever way in which A. Wolf's legendary catchphrase, 'i'll huff and i'll puff,' is twisted into the accidental huffing, snuffing and sneezing of houses down.
From a teaching perspective, this book has a number of possible idea
Rose
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember the librarian at my elementary school reading this to my class not once, not twice, but three times when I was a little girl. It was one of the more popular stories/fairy tale adaptations in our library, "The Three Little Pigs" told from the wolf's perspective. I still remember there was one boy in my class who said at the end of the story "He's totally lying." I think we were all inclined to agree.

It was a fun read, I haven't read it in quite some time, but I still rememb
Cherina
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Summary: This is a spin-off of the original story The Three Little Pigs. Alexander Wolf gets his chance to explain his side of the story. Instead of being an intimidating, evil wolf, he went to his two neighbors (the pig brothers) to borrow a cup of sugar. He had a rather nasty cold and so he ended up sneezing so hard that he blew their houses done. When he went to the third pig's house, the pig refused to open the door and insulted his grandmother. The police came and arrested the wolf and the media ...more
Miss Meghan's Class
This has GOT to be one of my all-time favorite kid books and I read it to my class at least twice a week (more so because of the fact that it is the favorite of a couple of kids in the room).

If you like books that don't conform to what everyone believes the true story is, that shows that there are two sides of every story, than this is the book for you.

Alexander T Wolf is the narrator of this story, explaining that he is not the big bad wolf that everyone thinks he is and tells you
Vaishali
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Snarky and cute! The classic tale told from the wolf's point of view :)
Excerpts:
--------

“Nobody knows the real story, because nobody every heard my side of the story.”

“I don’t know how this ‘big bad wolf’ thing got started, but it’s all wrong. Maybe it’s our diet. It’s not my fault wolves eat cute little animals like bunnies and sheep and pigs.”

“I had this terrible sneezing cold…”

“Now this neighbor was a pig, and he wasn’t too bright ei
Anna
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Anna by: goodreads quote of the day
the wolf -- Al, to be exact -- tells his side of the story!

hilarious!
(for some reason I kept hearing the voice of Jon Lovitz as I was reading ...)

**25th anniversary edition
Lisa Vegan
I often enjoy twisted versions of fairy tales and this one was a lot of fun. I’ve never even read it to any of the children I know, but I chortled reading it to myself.
Carys O'Neill
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I used this book for a year 3/4 lesson whilst we were writing fairytales. It was a great way for the children to see alternative perspectives and it greatly improved their own stories from alternate perspectives. The book has great illustrations and makes a great book to read to a whole class.
Set
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I love this book, especially since I had to be the lawyer of the wolf in civics class back in 7th grade, we won. I got the wolf off from his charges because the witnesses were incompetent and unreliable. This is the other side of the story of the 3 Little Pigs. The drawings and story is hilarious.
Marquise
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was supposed to laugh at this, but groaned and rolled eyes at it instead. I found the twist more childish and contrived than hilarious, though the art was lovely.
Sheena O'connell
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The true story of the three little pigs

The true story of the three little pigs is a great book to get children thinking and forming their own opinions. It tells the’ three little pigs story’ from the wolf’s point of view which is very convincing and is in total contrast to the story we all know and love. The wolf introduces himself at the start of the story and announces that he had been framed by the three little pigs. He proceeds to tell his side of the story. The wolf’s story is v
Alexandra Kelley
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I completely forgot about this book. I was looking for some books and stumbled upon this. This was one of my favorite tales growing up. It's comical and tells the story from the wolf's perspective. Scieszka and his illustrator did a very good job telling the story in a way that no one has ever read before. The original "Three Little Pigs" story depicts the wolf as being big and bad, but in this version, the wolf defends himself by telling it in his point of view.

This story was one of my favorit
Slayermel
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humour
I found this book lying on the coffee table in our staff room at work. I was drawn right away to the front cover, and thought what an interesting concept it would be to hear the story of the three little pigs from the Wolf's perspective.
What followed had me laughing out loud. You see the wolf would have you believe this was all just a big misunderstanding and he was being framed. What really happened was he was suffering from a sneezing cold and just wanted to borrow a cup of sugar from hi
Brenda
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the three little pigs told from the wolf’s point of view adding a different look at the whole events. The author provides several plausible reasons for why the little pigs get eaten and can easily have the reader feeling sorry for the wold (he ends up in jail at the end of the story). The illustrations certainly add to the drama of the story and provide just the right amount of intensity. It kind of reminded me of the movie Hoodwinked where the accused gives their own version of the inci ...more
Shawn Deal
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
There are always two sides to every story and now we get the wolfs version of this story. Really the wolf was just completely misunderstood and wanted a cup of sugar, but things went wrong due to his allergies and sneezing problem.

A fun twist on a very well known story.
Jasmine
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone under 12
Shelves: children
i LOVOOOVED this book as a kid! LOVED it!

i always did feel that the wolf was painted in a bad light!
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
These books that turn fairy tales on their heads are always so funny, and it really takes you back to your childhood as well.
Becky
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it
I remember reading this years ago when it first came out, and I thought it was really cute.
Eleanor Abbott
What an imaginative spin on the classic 3 little pigs. I love this creative perspective of the wolfs story which is different to how most children will expect! I found this really gripping and interesting as it follows the well-known story of the 3 little pigs in humorous and light-hearted fashion. It would be a great read for KS1 to get them talking about perspectives and pushing their thoughts to further boundaries considering other characters in stories. Furthermore, lower KS2 could use this ...more
Oceana
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
I'm reading this to my grade 8's to introduce short stories. It's a fun one to start with.
mini lesson 4 1 6 Oct 22, 2017 09:56PM

• Miss Nelson Is Missing!
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • The Mitten
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
  • The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
  • Strega Nona (Strega Nona, #1)
  • Diary of a Worm
  • The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash
  • Tacky the Penguin
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • It's a Book
  • Officer Buckle and Gloria
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Heckedy Peg
  • Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China
  • Pigsty
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • Two Bad Ants
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon.
—From the dust jacket of The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger. He teach