Start by marking “A Smart Girl's Guide to Liking Herself, Even on the Bad Days: The Secrets to Trusting Yourself, Being Your Best & Never Letting the Bad Days Bring You Down” as Want to Read:

A Smart Girl's Guide to Liking Herself, Even on the Bad Days: The Secrets to Trusting Yourself, Being Your Best & Never Letting the Bad Days Bring You Down (A Smart Girl's Guide...)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
From the back cover: Has a bad day got you down? Is your self-esteem making you feel blue? In A Smart Girl's Guide to Liking Herself--Even on the Bad Days, you'll learn how having high self-esteem can turn a good day into a great day, while having low self-esteem can turn a bad day into a nightmare. You'll learn tips for trusting yourself, ideas for boosting your self-este ...more
Published February 28th 2012 by American Girl Publishing, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about A Smart Girl's Guide to Liking Herself, Even on the Bad Days

Kathleen
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-tessa, y-a
Tessa and I read this book together, and I highly recommend it. She's still a little young for parts of it (she was equally baffled by the ideas that she would talk with her friends about boys and that she might ever be embarrassed by me!), but it prompted such wonderful conversations. We talked about self-esteem, friendships, feelings... we just need to keep this communication going!
RogueHireling
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book is pretty much exactly what I expected. It is quite positive but still manages to compartmentalize girls. The book is a great reinforcement to be kind to yourself and to not take crap from other people. Worth a read for every pre teen.
Rachel
Dolly
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: older elementary school-age girls
We first discovered this series when we found Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations. Our oldest really liked that book.

This book was fairly similar, but was more focused on self-esteem and knowing yourself. I thought it offered good advice regarding finding your own strengths, holding on to good friends, and doing good things for others.

It also has some practical tips for boosting self-confidence and talking with parents and I love that one of the last pages
Lydia Wednesday
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
American Girl delivers again with an excellent self-help book for kids. I'd have given this book 5 stars if it had dealt with inter-gender relationships and not just girl/girl friendships, and didn't also seem to make the assumption that the reader is likely to be in a nuclear family unit. Everything else was great. I have never heard an origami fortune teller called a "cootie catcher" (that feels mildly appropriative). Not perfect but still very helpful.
Maureen McKane
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't one that my daughter refers to regularly (it's a good thing she doesn't often need to) but when she's feeling low, it's a great source to help her know she's not the only one who has the feelings that she does. Highly recommend.
Pseudonym
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Really helped me when I was younger. Rereading it now I see some of the things it assumes girls will think about that most don't, and like every book, splits everyone up into their own groups (no wonder high school has groups like this, it's what we've been taught our whole life)
Meena
Oct 29, 2013 added it
Shelves: favorites
I didn't actually read this one, but I did take the quizzes. (I like taking quizzes)
Emma
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any shy girl..
Good for ideas
Nimsay
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I accidentally came across this while searching for a book for my psych class and I liked it.I guess this wasn't intended for my age group but I still enjoyed it and took some advice from it.
Joy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Much better than I thought it would be. It's great advice even for adults.
Alvera
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fun and uplifting read from a publisher I've come to trust. Simple self-help marketed for young girls, though the strategies for improving self-esteem are really pretty gender neutral.
Gracie
Dec 27, 2015
Mchammer Carter
Jun 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Knowing What to Say: Finding the Words to Fit Any Situation
  • A Smart Girl's Guide To Style: How To Have Fun With Fashion, Shop Smart, And Let Your Personal Style Shine Through (American Girl)
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Staying Home Alone: A Girl's Guide to Feeling Safe and Having Fun
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books)
  • Clutter Control: Crafts and Tips to Organize Your Backpack, Your Bedroom, Your Locker, Your Life (American Girl Library)
  • Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • Is a Worry Worrying You?
  • When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death
  • Dinosaurs Divorce
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School: Everything You Need to Know About Juggling More Homework, More Teachers, and More Friends
  • Lifetimes: A Beautiful Way to Explain Life and Death to Children
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • Words Set Me Free: The Story of Young Frederick Douglass
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger (What-to-Do Guides for Kids)
  • How to be a Genius

A Smart Girl's Guide... (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Money: How to Make It, Save It, And Spend It
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Understanding Her Family: Feelings, Fighting & Figuring It Out
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to the Internet: How to Connect with Friends, Find What You Need, and Stay Safe Online
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Friendship Troubles: Dealing With Fights, Being Left Out and the  Whole Popularity thing

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99