Start by marking “Jabberwocky” as Want to Read:
Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,418 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Why shouldn't the Jabberwocky be a fourteen-fingered, slam-dunking beast?

Lewis Carroll challenged readers' imaginations with his most famous poem, "Jabberwocky". Here, Christopher Myers takes on that challenge by brilliantly re-imagining it as a face off on the basketball court. In this fresh take on the classic poem, our brave hero has mad skills, and with the help of his
Published September 4th 2007 by Jump At The Sun (first published January 1st 1872)

To ask other readers questions about Jabberwocky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jabberwocky

Miriam
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review of this particular edition, GOODREADS, yes, different editions are not interchangeable; why do you have such difficulty grasping that?
(If anyone wondered, no, I did not listen to the Bible in Spanish on audiobook.)

The text is the poem "Jabberwocky"; I'm sure you know it, but I'll post the text in a spoiler fold just in case.

(view spoiler)
Jo (The Book Geek)
This has been a firm favourite of mine throughout the years. Instead of a bedtime story, I demanded The Jabberwocky. It never got old, it never got tiresome. Sure, it's essentially a lot of nonsense, but that is what makes it so wonderful.
Emily Ross
I really liked the poem, I thought it was nonsense but really nice.
My complaint is specific to this audiobook that I was listening to, and that was the background effects. They fit with the poem but they were rather distracting and for how short the poem actually is, I don't feel that it needed them at all.
Nathan
Ah, Graeme Base and Lewis Carroll. Over a frumious Bandersnatch they would have become great friends, I think, had they lived in the same century.

I stumbled on this book while exploring Jabberwocky. I remembered Base's The Eleventh Hour (my favorite book as a kid), so picked it up.

The book was in the library's children section. This makes sense, but it's also sad. Carroll's poem and Base's illustration marry into a rich story for even the curious adult.

Two pages in particular caught me: The illu
Levi
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved this poem and I spotted this at the library today. There are some fantastic (in many senses of the word) drawings. This helped bring out the poem's charm, even if things weren't quite as I envisioned them in my head. Awesome edition of this classic poem!
Leanne Stoltzfus
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grade-3-5-lit
Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll

This classic poem is printed throughout the book with stunning illustrations by Stephane Jorisch that helps the visualizations come to life. This interactive book helps grab the interest of 3-5 grade students although quite gruesome. This poem is filled with non-sense words which allow for interpretation from the audience. These gibberish words allow for participation from the reader.

My personal interpretation of the poem through the pictures and words:
The monster t
GeraniumCat
I bought this for the illustration, having discovered it during a Pinterest trawl. Graeme Base is an Australian artist, and brings an exoticism to the poem which works well with the verbal inventiveness of the text. Strange beasts and birds frolic through the pages (gyring and gimbling in the wabe?), while the beamish young knight sets forth on his charger, eventually to encounter the Jabberwock.

What more can I say? If you love this poem as much as I do, then I think you'll enjoy the colour and
(NS)Jordyn
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of the cool things about poems is the idea that everyone hears or sees something different in them. In this version of the Jabberwocky, the illustrator envisions the clash as a one on one basketball game between to extremely unmatched opponents. The illustrations and colors used in this book are phenomenal and may just entice even the most reluctant of poets (or poetry readers) to take a chance on an "old" poem redux. Useful with grades 3 and up (maybe even high school???).
Rahma
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Read For school***
Nonetheless, I really loved his nonsensical writing style!
Maggie Gordon
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
My partner has a lot of love for the Jabberwocky, so when I discovered one of our favourite poetry series took a stab at this one, I had to grab it as a surprise! This particular series illustrates popular poems, and the imagery for Jabberwocky is strange and a bit surreal. It tells a confusing visual story that's quite fitting of the words that it follows.
Megan
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The text of Carroll's famous poem with beautiful full-page illustrations. There is more or less a two-page spread per two verses of the poem, and the illustrations are beautifully detailed and convey a great deal of emotion. My kids love it, and it's inspired them go to about killing Jibjub birds and Jabberwocks all over our house. It's a nice way to introduce heroic poetry to small children since the poem isn't very long, and the theme is clear and vividly portrayed in these illustrations. Even ...more
Marion Jacobs
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again this was a book that I read when I too was at school. At the time I really enjoyed it and having re read it I feel the same. It is a really clever and witty short poem with lovely illustrations. It would make a really nice short story to read to the class and begin a small introduction and discussion into poetry. It could raise all kinds of questions in the class such as what differentiates a poem from a story, what is a poem and all other kinds of questions. The story is very simple, abou ...more
Megan (ReadingRover)
This book is a lovely illustrated version of the Jabberwocky poem from Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. The poem is the same with all of its nonsense words left for your interpretation and the illustrations help to decode them. The illustrations in this book are beautifully painted with an almost dreamlike quality. They bring the magical beings like the borogroves and the jubjub birds to life. Humpty Dumpty moves from page to page walking you through the stor ...more
Ilana Waters
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Graeme Base books (I really need to stop saying that about every one of his books). I love the re-imagining of the monster Jabberwock (pretty scary, actually!). Then there's the handsome prince who sets forth to slay him, whose outfit would not be out of fashion for a 1980's rock star (the book was published in the late 80's). There are the fantastical combinations of other creatures as well. And I love the funny little details--like the prince's horse--who has a different hoo ...more
Lara
Saw this version of Jabberwocky illustrated by Christopher Myers while pulling holds in junior nonfiction yesterday and was intrigued. Basketball is not what I've imagined when I've thought of this poem up until now, but it totally works! I liked the story the illustrations tell and how they made me think of this poem in a completely different way than I ever had before. Just a super cool concept--I want to read more re-imaginings of classic poems now!
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This retelling of the classic nonsense poem has been reimagined within a basketball context; the Jabberwocky is a huge, scary basketball player and the Vorpal Sword is now a pair of basketball sneakers. The artwork is very bright yet ominous at the same time; these qualities are also reflected in the way the original text of the poem is presented on the page – large, uneven, and brightly colored. For children, I think it would be interesting to determine how they interpret the images and the wor ...more
Marsha
Jabberwocky is the first book in a classic poetry series illustrated by some of today’s most talented and imaginative artists. Newly re-imagined by the artist Stéphane Jorisch, this Jabberwocky becomes a treatise on warfare, gender roles, rigid expectations by those considered our elders and the self-serving babble spoken by those in authority. The true end of the Jabberwock exposes how monsters can be blown out of all proportion. Jorisch’s illustrations show a childlike simplicity with an adult ...more
John
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was the best version of the Jabberwocky. Lewis Carroll and Graeme Base as a combination were so strong together. Such an imaginative, even somewhat scary book, that I really loved as a young reader. I checked this one out multiple times and still have a copy that I hope to share someday.
Biscuit
Jul 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I love this poem.
I don't like this audio recording.
The background sound effects frequently overwhelm the vocals and although the tavern performance setting is reasonable it takes almost the first full minute to get started.
Sharon
Dark and adult, Stéphane Jorisch's illustrations reinterpret Lewis Carroll's nonsense poem as nonsense with a political purpose: the blustering call to a war that makes the warrior a monster too. Stark and thought-provoking, but not for kids.
Meghan
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked this poem, and these illustrations are fantastic! They're a bit dark, but I think that fits the poem. Available for purchase from Lulu, or to read for free at the illustrator's Deviant Art page: http://pyxelated.deviantart.com/art/T...
Lora
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of the Jabberwocky which is written in a very poetic version of a story. I found it very easy to follow and fun story to read. I can see how it fits with the Alice in Wonderland story lines in the many films of Alice in Wonderland.
Definitely a story I would read more than once.
ELIZABETH-ANNE
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it !

I am a huge fan of nonsense, the absurd and made up words, which I have done my whole life. My pets are not exempt, my cat Francine gets called Franuschka and when I baby talk them, often times it is with silly made up words.

A++++++
Eduard
Read as part of The Norton Anthology of Poetry
Kerry
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome illustrations to pair with the classic poem. I dug it!
Donalyn
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lewis Carroll's classic nonsense poem reimagined as a basketball game.
Kaethe
I love Lewis Carroll, and I love Graeme Base, so the two together? A must-have for my collection. I'm greedy like that.
Matthew
Feb 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1
What
Aleria
After listening to this one I seriously need to get on listening to my Alice in Wonderland audiobook soon. But the Jaberwocky was one of my favorite villains, glad that I got to listen to this. (found one where Benedict Cumberbatch narrated it)
miinuh
  • June 29, 1999
  • A Book
  • If I Were in Charge of the World and Other Worries
  • The Saga of Erik the Viking
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...
“And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
He chortled in his joy.”
46 likes
“Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas—only I don’t exactly know what they are!” 2 likes