Start by marking “Philomel Cottage: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
Philomel Cottage: A Short Story

Philomel Cottage: A Short Story

The recently married Alix Martin is obsessed with a recurring dream of her new husband’s murder. Each time she can see the murderer clearly, and it’s the mild-mannered man she had previously been engaged to, taking his revenge. But, what’s worse is that at the end of the dream she thanks the murderer. Perplexed, Alix tries to calm herself by spending time in the garden of ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published November 1924)

To ask other readers questions about Philomel Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philomel Cottage

Maria Fernanda Gama
The ending is very abrupt, but I liked this little story, so refreshingly different from Agatha's usual style. The ambiguity of the resolution is marvelous, although I'm not sure it was really intended
Bettie☯
Description: The recently married Alix Martin is obsessed with a recurring dream of her new husband’s murder. Each time she can see the murderer clearly, and it’s the mild-mannered man she had previously been engaged to, taking his revenge. But, what’s worse is that at the end of the dream she thanks the murderer. Perplexed, Alix tries to calm herself by spending time in the garden of her picturesque cottage. But her gardener confuses her further by wishing her well on her trip to London—a trip ...more
Bekah
Well, what the hell was that!? Was that a twist ending? Was it a cliff-hanger? Am I hallucinating? What did I just listen to? Oh, Agatha, why do you do this to me? I really don't know what to think. I definitely enjoyed listening to the story, which was read by Hugh Fraser, but that ending...
Brooklyn Tayla
A quick intriguing read. One I hadn't read before, so that was cool. Very cool. These mini stories are perfect in between other books :)
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bettie, Carey, Wanda
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Alex meets Terry and is coaxed to start a business out in the country. Mike Walker's revamped whodunnit with Lizzie McInnerny.
Anastasia
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-class
*Read for class.

3.75/5

I've read this short novella for my paper about the Bluebeard and I loved how the plot of the original was transformed into a short mystery. The reveal was pretty obvious, even if you don't know the fairy-tale, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Plus, the ending made me go "what?" and reread the last couple of paragraphs. Agatha Christie truly is a genius, I love her works, even though I haven't read a lot. Yet.
Tatiana
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really liked it.
Keira_observer
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it's always unexpected in the end..
Sherri Smith
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful short mystery!!
Yuthika
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Philomel Cottage has been an interesting experience. Different from Agatha Christie's other works, but highly engaging. I loved it.
Mishika
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What was it that I just read! (mindblown)
Jess at JessicaWrites.co.uk
That plot twist at the end completely blindsinded me. Bravo, Agatha Christie!
Andie
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
JZ
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just listened to a BBC adaptation of this story that is perfect, and with a full cast performing the whole thing. Is just as pertinent today as then. Reminds me of a Thurber fairy tale.
A.M.
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, i-own
Philomel Cottage is bought by Alix and her new husband. It’s isolated, miles from the village, and she can work peacefully there.
But an old flame, Richard, expresses concern about her choice. ‘You know nothing about him’ he argues, and she says they’re in love and Richard should leave her alone.
But then… she starts to notice odd things. Terry says he was in Bosnia when earlier he said it was Russia. He tells lies about where he was and how well his startup is doing.
Is Richard right? Is she in da
Michael Sorbello
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well sweet damn, I was beginning to think that this was a cliche, "I instantly fell in love with a man with a mysterious past and it turns out he has some dirty secrets," kind of story. But that ending...
The plot twist at the very end completely blindsided and impressed me, I thought I had the plot all figured out from the very first sentence and it shocked me. A very suspenseful and tension-filled tale with a brilliant twist at the end.
Tricia
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was super familiar - I must have listened to an unabridged reading of this short story. The BBC radio adaptation changes (modernizes) some bits, and is slightly confusing as a result. Like what exactly are they doing at the cottage - some kind of startup? If she's the programmer then what is he? What exactly is the reason for their relationship?? But there's a through line that ties it to the original and that aspect is still strong and might make you shiver.
Cassandra
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
This short story kept me on my toes until the very end. I felt like the foreshadowing followed a natural speed and was obvious enough for any reader to pick up on. I made my friend read this story so I could discuss it with them because I couldn't find anyone online analyzing the ending. I re-read it and still was amused by the ambiguity.
Nicoll Campbell
A unusually story by Mrs Christie. This short novella in the The Listerdale Mystery Collection, has a elements of a supernatural. This is lost in the translation of the modern radio dramatization. Your left wondering.....
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short read, great spine-tingling fun! You’ll be asking yourself “what the..” at the end! Enjoy on a chilly night, alone in the dark under a blanket. Though not overtly scary, it will make you wonder...think...question...
Shahd Anwar
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chilly and perfect for the Halloween spirit. Not the best of Christie's work, but certainly worth it and the ending was so unexpected even though I discovered the plot almost halfway through but never saw that ending coming, I loved that!
Tiffany
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creepy
I'm ashamed to say that I have never read Agatha Christie before this story. The ultimate in the plot thickens. I'm intrigued enough to want to try more of her work.
Karen
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Slight and not what you expect.
Preethi Venugopala
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, interesting read!
Sarahanne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That was amazing but...um... at the end there? What happened? Who did...um...

Read this. Explain the ending to me.

I may be over thinking this....
Greg Elsasser
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Someone needs to explain this story to me.
Alicia
I have a copy of Philomel Cottage in the "Christie Classics" compilation.
Guadalupe
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4,5 / 5
Saravanan Mani
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The kind of short story that twists exactly as you expect and still surprises you a little.
Tia Raina
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
The most boring thing she's ever written. read it in a "Collection of Halloween Stories" and it was a complete waste of my time.
  • Round the Red Lamp
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Dekorator (Przygody Erasta Fandorina, #5.2)
  • Trust Me On This (Sara & Jack, #1)
  • Never Bet the Devil Your Head
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • The Garden Party and Other Stories
  • I Know What You Need
  • Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher
  • Иван Васильевич
  • Daughters of Decadence: Women Writers of the Fin-de-Siècle
  • Murder Most Historical
  • The Chrysanthemums and Other Stories
  • A Haunted House
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money (Mr. Chickee, #1)
  • The Burden