Start by marking “The Slave (The Marketplace, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Slave (The Marketplace, #2)

The Slave (The Marketplace #2)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  760 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The second volume in The Marketplace series explores inner workings of a life in servitude within the secret realm of the Marketplace. Those proven worthy may realize their greatest erotic fantasy, if they are willing to pay the price!
Published December 1st 2000 by Mystic Rose Books (first published March 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Slave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slave

Becca
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Slave, the author did a very good job of expressing Robin's viewpoint and motivation. I have no personal interest in following her path, and yet I was able to understand why she would do so. In almost all the BDSM fiction I've read so far trust has been emphasized as an essential part of a healthy D/s relationship. Well, Robin's relationship with her trainer and later her masters had nothing whatsoever to do with trust IMO. They could do whatever they wanted to her short of permanently al ...more
Darby
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Marketplace series is BDSM fiction by Laura Antoniou. It is about an underground organization that operates around the world in consensual slave training, selling and buying. The books main focus is the training of slaves. And each book offers compelling characters that unfold into an extraordinary story and world.

The second volume in the Marketplace trilogy, The Slave describes the experiences of Robin, who longs to join the ranks of those of Marketplace. Follow Robin as she is educated in
Gnomad
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, queer
Reread when I won the yet to be released ebook version of this on the author's website.

This is probably my second favorite book of the series. We finally get the chance to see the Marketplace from the eyes of a slave-in-training who is not stupid or overly stubborn, and it pays off. Robin is likeable and you want to go on her journey to becoming a slave with her instead of just wanting to smack her on the head. We also get more time with Chris, and unlike the first book, this time around his my
Deanna
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This one started off with a bang. I though it was going to surpass The Marketplace, but sadly that did not happen for me. Perhaps because I am obsessed with Chris Parker & he was not in the story very much after Robin was trained and sold.

The first half of the book is Robin's intense training time with Chris, interspersed with her back story. Although the training aspect was covered in detail in The Marketplace, this was not repetitive information here. There was a fresh take on it.

I was ev
Katie(babs)
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Laura. Loved Robin's story and how she became a slave but one with power and knowledge. Also liked her interaction with Chris Parker. (I still don't know what his secret is! *shakes fist*)
Andrea
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another must-read for anyone with more than a passing interest in D/s. I love Parker... patience!
Shari Richardson
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of the series. I've read it several times and have several copies of it.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
One of the first long novels of D/S with femdom mixed with maledom I read. It blew my mind. This is really well written. The journey of Robin was thrilling for me to watch.
Danielle Tremblay
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en-ai-un, bdsm, d-s
Wow! How much I'd like to meet Chris! This is a great book full of exciting scenes.

Maya
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
I liked the story line of this book better than the first. We get to see more of Chris and what happened to the slaves of the first book. I laugh when I learned what happened to Sharon. I never liked her.

Robin was fast tracked into learning how to be a marketplace slave by Chris in 2 weeks. She prefers females but was sold to a household of gay men. She soon finds her footing and starts liking her new masters. But the lowest slave of the house has a grudge against her and frames her for the robb
Crystal
I didn't enjoy the singular view during the very short training period. However, I did enjoy Robin's perspective after being sold.
~riaria~
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, erotica, gay, fetish, bi
I wanna be Chris' furniture, officially.

Volume 2 was way hotter than volume 1.
Melise Gerber
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grown-up-books
This and the Marketplace are far and away the best of the series.
Kimberlyn
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this series. I appreciate how the author makes distinctions between bondage/discipline, Dominance/submission, and Sadomasochism. While in its own way a sex-oriented urban fantasy, it creates a world of complicated, realistic characters. The myriad versions of the D/s dynamic are all given their moment, and such interactions in all of their subtle variants are convincing.

Of all of the books, this was the most memorable to me. I think it was because the main character was so identifiable, wi
J.R. James
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
Some good BDSM action as Robin first undertakes to complete the specialised training she needs in order to pass the stringent standards required to be sold as a willing slave to the highest bidder, and in the process earn a sizeable sum for herself at the completion of her contract, and then her ongoing adventures as she takes her place in a wealthy household.
Miss
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
More emotional and feminine than the first book in the series, more in depth regarding the slave's psyche.
Alice Bromley McEwen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, my favorite of the Marketplace series.
TinaMarie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Theresa Glover
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We all read smut. There's no reason to deny it. But there's no reason to read bad smut when there is intelligent, well-written, complex, and engaging erotica like this on the market. Just because something sells a bajillion copies doesn't make it good. Quality matters, and what makes a good book, regardless of genre, is good writing. Laura Antoniou is a respected member of the BDSM community and clearly busts her ass to write a damned good book. I read the first Marketplace books (The Marketplac ...more
Marisella
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Robin is an art appraiser, an intelligent lovely woman who has felt the desire and need to be submissive and to serve all of her life. She's playing in the BDSM and leather world, had two very different Master/slave relationships, and has left them realizing that she needed more. She is found "spotted" by Ken Mandarin, a flamboyant Mistress. Robin has never heard of the Marketplace, but immediately recognized Ken's introduction to the Marketplace as her gate to the world she's been dreaming of. ...more
Danny Tyran
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Laura Antoniou is one of the best D/s and SM authors of the "marketplace". ;)

I read "The Slave" for the first time many years ago. I had even translated it in French just for my Master and his other slave who did not speak English, so they could savour it too. It was worth the effort because they loved this book too.

This is probably the most SM book of this series. So much that sometimes I thought: "No, not another caning" or "not another strapping". Personally, I stay black and blue for weeks
Dani Hermit
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in high school (back in the early 90s) and was gifted this edition recently. I have been enamored of Chris Parker ever since I picked up that first well worn edition at a yard sale, and was very pleased with the new edition bringing this formative work back into my life at such a perfect time.

I adore Laura Antoniou's work, and have finally been able to read the rest of the Marketplace books, something I had given up on years ago. Every one is a jewel, building a world I wi
Carlie
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: slave-by-choice
This is as good as the first book, a joy to read. I won’t go into detail other than to say Chris has two weeks to get a wannabe slavegirl named Robin ready for auction. This happens during his vacation time so we are not at the familiar house with the masters. We learn of the fates of those from the first book and I am disappointed. Sharon was my favorite. This is an old series with two more additions for me to get through. I would have loved to have seen more of the masters and the other slaves ...more
Boho Beannie
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a re-read. The second in the series, this is nice to see what happens after training - to see how slaves and masters live their lives day to day. I’m not sure what the fascination is with Chris Parker, he doesn’t seem especially interesting to me. The secondary characters are developed enough to be interesting and help flesh out the story. Robins journey and development is good. The sex scenes are of course, outstanding, but the real enjoyment is in the mental game of it all.

Memorable
Peche Esse
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Good. Hot. Not so much plot as background on slave training.

I like using Heather K's rating scale
1 star- Didn't like it or worse
2 stars- Thought it was blah, just okay.
3 stars- I liked it, I would recommend it to a friend.
4 stars- I really liked it, I want you to buy it now.
5 stars- I loved it, I can't stop thinking about it. GET IT!
Amy
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: laura-antoniou
I believe I gave this book a 4 star rating the first time around but as I read it this time my situation has changed and I saw it in a new light. Therefore it earned a 5 star rating from me this time. It's very informative.
Spencer Hall
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book for the masses -its an interesting exploration of a little understood sub-culture. I like the authors attempt at showing the emotional journey and sacrifice that truly being a part of this culture requires from the main character.
Heather Key
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm
I think this series just gets better as it goes and it is best to start with book one and go on from there.The fantasy mixed with the modern setting is great, all genders and sexuality are depicted in these books. I love the series and have reread the books.
Vic
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, bdsm, erotica
I enjoyed reading Robin's journey. I wished she and CP had made more of connection (recognized by CP).
Marcus
Apr 13, 2015 is currently reading it
no too bad
  • Erotic Slavehood: A Miss Abernathy Omnibus
  • Owned and Owner
  • Under Her Thumb
  • Safe Word (Carrie’s Story #2)
  • Mr. Benson
  • Macho Sluts: Erotic Fiction
  • Firebird
  • Holden and Yves – The Early Years (The Slave Breakers, mini-prequel)
  • Nisey's Awakening (Doms of Chicago, #1)
  • The Milk Bitch Trilogy
  • Return to the Chateau (Story of O #2)
  • Carried Away
  • The Copper Horse: Fear (Zombie Gentlemen) (The Copper Horse, #1)
  • The Image
  • The Leather Daddy and the Femme
  • Sacred Revelations (Chronicles of Surrender, #2)
  • Undercover Submission (Graceful #3)
  • Topping from Below

The Marketplace (6 books)
  • The Marketplace (The Marketplace, #1)
  • The Trainer (The Marketplace, #3)
  • The Academy (The Marketplace, #4)
  • The Reunion (The Marketplace, #5)
  • The Inheritor (The Marketplace, #6)

Fiction Deals

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
“Rules. Even as the world of phone and computer sex (and dominance) were full of their own rules, so was the new world of doing-it-for real. And some of these new rules, (OK, most of them, Robin admitted) were just as silly as the ones she had learned and followed before. Safe words, for example. Magic words that when said by the bottom, stopped a scene so that some kind of inconvenient or dangerous activity could be halted. Robin had nothing against the concept.........
Having a code to use so that you're free to pull against the bondage or whimper "no, no, no" seemed to be a great idea. But having all these possible ways to orchestrate what was happening seemed, well, contrary to the point........
I want to feel that I can't stop it. I want to be really mastered, taken over by someone who isn't goin to stop doing things because I'm not getting off on it. Someone who knows enough not to endanger me, unless that was what was intended.........”
37 likes