Start by marking “Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum” as Want to Read:
Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum

Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Five traditional Nigerian tales include Hen and Frog, Why Bush Cow and Elephant are Bad Friends, The Husband Who Counted the Spoonfuls, Why Frog and Snake Never Play Together, and How Animals Got Their Tails.
Published May 1st 1987 by Perfection Learning (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum

Michael
This was a very well put together book, with clear chapters, some transitional phrasing, and a mix of color and black and white illustrations approximately once per page throughout the book. These are five traditional Nigerian tales retold and illustrated by Ashley Bryan, and there is a rhythmic sing-song manner and humor to all the tales.

The book and translations could probably be rated 5 stars, but I just couldn't give 5 stars to the stories. "Hen and Frog" is a familiar tale with a good moral
Brittnee Pettie
Comments: “Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum” is a unique book but doesn't quite meet the mark for reader engagement. I think it’s the kind of book whose meaning got lost in translation. There are a lot of culturally-rich characteristics throughout the book that may “throw” the modern-day reader. It is a chapter book which features various stories that are unrelated in the sense of content. Nonetheless, each story is meant to provoke some moral lesson-learned or highlight the unique perspectives depi ...more
Leah Gerber
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-307
There are five Nigerian folktales; “Hen and Frog,” “Why Bush Cow and Elephant are Bad Friends,” “The Husband Who Counted the Spoonfuls,” “Why Frog and Snake Never Play Together,” and “How Animals Got Their Tails” retold in rhythmic language, and illustrated with vibrant colors and in black-and-white. Each story is meant to teach a moral lesson or lesson learned. I especially liked this book because I feel like the students would laugh and relate, yet see it from a different perspective from an A ...more
Kayla Harris
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comment:
Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum is a wonderful five traditional Nigerian tale that includes "Hen and Frog," "Why Bush Cow and Elephant are Bad Friends," "The Husband Who Counted the Spoonfuls," "Why Frog and Snake Never Play Together," and "How Animals Got Their Tails." Not only are these tales wonderful but they also include wonderful woodcut illustrations that amuse children.

Age:
3rd grade& up

Summary:
This traditional literature book is a collection of Nigerian stories told in a rhy
Madison
Nov 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a book with Nigerian Folktales that is written through words that rhyme.

The pictures in this book are very plain. They are black and white and are often just of a few animals. They take up about half of the page and do not really go into any detail. On some pages, the animals are placed around the text. Without the text, there would be no story at all.

I did not like this story, or the illustrations of the story, and do not recommend this book. Although it could tell the story of history
Jesse McMorris
Beat the Story- Drum, Pum-Pum was written by Ashley Bryan and also illustrated by her. The book was various stories that were African folktale and they were retold by Ashley Byran. For this book it was extremely heavy on text and not the pictures even though these were probably the most interesting pictures for me to look at. The pictures were heavy one geometric shapes and were all pretty simple but I liked them a lot.
Ashleigh Pollard
I understood the significance of this book, but personally I was not a fan of it. This book includes a few chapters about African Folktale stories. Mainly, the stories consisted of animals who metaphorically attempt to explain life lessons. Due to my disliking of the book, I do not think I would read all of the stories to a class. It is a difficult book to understand if it is not read aloud to children, and then broken down to build understanding.
Lisa
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Five traditional Nigerian tales for young children.
Brindi Michele
1981 CSKing Illustrator Winner

Oh, this was just awful.
Ria
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like collections of short stories, so I enjoyed this book.
Tammy
Jun 04, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Bry
Megan
A collection of African stories told in a rhythmic poetry/prose hybrid. Wonderful alliteration and onomatopoeia make these tales particularly memorable.
Nov 15, 2013
Sep 26, 2012
Hi
Feb 17, 2014
May
rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2011
Nolan
Jul 10, 2012
Elena Chamberlain
Mar 31, 2016
Ashley Bryan is an illustrator, children's author, and poet.
More about Ashley Bryan...