Start by marking “Photo by Sammy Davis, Jr.” as Want to Read:
Photo by Sammy Davis, Jr.

Photo by Sammy Davis, Jr.

Sammy Davis, Jr. will forever be remembered as one of America's finest entertainers. An all–around performer who could sing, dance, and act, Davis broke racial barriers in the entertainment world and became the only non–white member of the Rat Pack. Only now, however, is Davis's talent as a photographer finally being recognized. In this previously unpublished collection of ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by It Books (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Photo by Sammy Davis, Jr., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Photo by Sammy Davis, Jr.

Stephen Robert Collins
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this back in March 2007, this huge book on life of Sammy But It is also very much book on Black People in 1940s. From the holocaust style West Side Vegas that blacks had to suffer this makes you feel sick.
The days of Rat Pack to Jerry Lewis to Samuel Goldwyn to real Tony Curtis. But It's rare photos of Louis Armstrong, Vincent Price, Nat King Cole, rare photos of Monroe hardly ever seen.
His wonderful family members the self photo on page 229 is so moving.
The famous day 28 August 1963 when
Scott Skipper
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How does one review a coffee table book? Most often you don't even read a coffee table book, you just flip it open now and then and look at the pictures. That is not the case here, Photo by Sammy Davis, Jr. is a book to be read.

Discovered in a storage locker in West LA, this collection of photographs is a remarkable window into life and times of a remarkable individual. Burt Boyar knew Sammy Davis, Jr. intimately and is able to tell the stories behind the pictures from an insider's point of view
Astraia
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy photo books and thought that I would add this one for the novelty that it was comprised of photographs by entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr. I was blown away by the quality and history contained in virtually every photograph. When identifying Sammy Davis, Jr. in the future, photographer will be at the top of my list.
Kelly
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never knew Sammy Davis, Jr. was such an accomplished photographer, and with such simple equipment.

This is a lovely collection of his photographs, accompanied by many stories from friends and from Sammy himself.
Paul Wilner
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great shots from this multi-talented man!
Nada
Sammy Davis, Jr is a man of many talents, and a photographer is evidently one of them. I'm mesmerized by the quality of both the photographs and the accompanied textual content that added historical context to the overall beautiful photo-book. This is essential yet enjoyable.
Bev
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I think of Sammy Davis, Jr. I think of the Rat Pack. I think of Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts. I think of the famous All in the Family episode with Archie Bunker. I think of a singer and a dancer and an all-out terrific entertainer. I don't think of photography. Or at least I didn't before I read Photo--a book of Sammy Davis Jr's photographs with commentary edited and put together by Burt Boyar from taped interviews with Sammy Davis Jr. As one of the blurbs says: "Sammy never went anywhere w ...more
Cami
Such cool photos and tidbits about Sammy and the folks he knew. Definitely worth a quick flip through or more in depth (though short) reading.
I especially enjoyed the section on Jerry Lewis giving Sammy advice about his act.
Susan
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has a ton of great photographs. I had no idea SDJ was so into photography. There were bits and pieces of his biography plugged in there, too. Nice book to flup through.
Raquel
Marla
Oct 19, 2007
Marylouise
Jan 26, 2011
Burt Boyar, born in New York in 1927, was thrown into the limelight at an early age. His father, Benjamin Boyar, worked for acclaimed Broadway producer Max Gordon, and Burt grew into the showbiz environment, eventually nabbing the lead role of Archie Andrews at age 12, and starring in various other radio dramas and commercials.

A passion for the literary arts caused him to drop out of school, and