Start by marking “A Quiet Place” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
"Sometimes a person needs a quiet place."
A place that's far away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life --
a place that isn't ringing or talking or roaring or playing.
But sometimes that place isn't easy to find.
Explore what it's like to find a special someplace where we
all can think our own thoughts and feel our own feelings.
Published May 1st 2005 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Quiet Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Quiet Place

Janet
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book talking about finding a quiet place and when you do one can imagine many things. or perhaps you can visit a library "where the only people talking str between the covers of books. They speak so softly you can only hear them in your head. . ." love these lines! A book discussing imagination, going to a library, as well as finding the peaceful place within. Adults will enjoy this along with school age children in the early grades. Definately not a preschool picture book.
Rachel Collins
Genre: Contemporary Realistic
Grade Level: 3

I really really really loved this story. I resonate with the need to find quiet once in awhile, and I would love to teach my students this concept through this book. The illustrations were wonderful, and the story was engaging. I loved the ending message, that quietness can be found inside of yourself. Overall I would highly recommend this sweet story as a read aloud in a classroom and at home.
Casandria
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book about finding time to explore your imagination. A bit long for story time, but great to cuddle up and read!
Ann Marie Olson
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grade level: 3rd grade

I like this book because sometimes children do not realize that it is okay to be alone and collect your thought sometimes. I like how the book explores different places and spaces where children can find silence and relax. For example, the author talks about finding a quiet place by the sea, in the snow, in the forest, in the library, etc. I think this book does a good job of explaining to children that sometimes it is okay and even fun to be alone. The illustrations in thi
Melissa Stasi
My personal reaction to this book is that this is great for a child who may feel like they are having a hard time trying to find peace and quiet in their inner self. There is usually one whole page with an illustration and then a small picture by a small paragraph which shows a comparison to the amount of words there are to the illustrations being presented. This would be a great read aloud book to any child, mostly in the younger grades because that is when they may have a hard time finding pea ...more
Thabata
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Wood presents the reader with a story that is full of imagination. It is creative, tender, simple and special. All at the same time. It is a story that I would recommend to people all ages, for it is timeless. Its illustrations are gorgeous, lifelike, very much like classic paintings. The colors are not too bright, bringing peace to the visual senses while conveying exactly what they are supposed to. Wood stirs the desire of being alone and enjoy one’s own company at its best. And oh, ho ...more
Megan Coloutti
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A red-cheeked, blond city-dweller, who with hands clamped tightly over his ears, yearns for respite from `whistles shrieking and grown-ups talking and engines roar and ... grown-ups talk....' In prose saturated with simile and metaphor, Wood suggests numerous subdued spots for solitude from ponds and deserts to caverns and museums and then interjects the boy's fantasies into the mix. Using figurative language techniques like simile, personification, and sensory images, the writer will develop a ...more
Marcy
This book reminded me of the book Something Beautiful. In this book, instead of looking for something beautiful in his life, the little boy is looking for his own quiet place to escape from the world. He goes through all of these different places that he thinks would make good quiet places and he could let his imagination run wild, only to find that the best place is at home where he can read his own books, think his own thoughts, and feel his own feelings. He discovers that the best quiet place ...more
Naomi
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Sometimes we do need quiet places...for our imaginations to thrive. That's what Douglas Wood delivers. This is another standard for the Unitarian Universalist bookshelf and for families who love stories about nurturing imagination.

Dan Andreason's illustrations are soft and invite those quiet imaginings. They also pay homage to the illustrations of N.C.Wyeth at points, particularly where the imaginings connect to Wyeth-illustrated classics, like Robert Louis Stevenson's _Treasure Island_. Visuall
Blake
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the idea underlying the book, of providing inspiration to children in learning to find quiet places in their lives where they can enjoy and appreciate silence. The book is good but I didn't find it particularly inspiring, hence the three star rating. Though I gave the book only three stars, I would still use it with young children up to about age six because I think the author addresses an important topic and does a decent job with it.
Hannah Evilsizor
This book is appropriate for 3 to 7 year olds. In kindergarten they move away from "nap time" and move into quiet time including reading buy yourself. I think this is a great book to introduce having that quiet time to read and think by yourself. I think that this book also encourages imagination and the things your brain can come up with when you have some time to yourself. I would then have them brainstorm about where their quiet place might be and what they might do during their quiet time.
Dawn
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Sometimes kids get so caught up in the rush and noise and business of kid life they forget the beauty of finding a quiet place.

It reminded me a lot of the Quiet Revolution (http://www.quietrev.com/). We need to remember this idea. Life doesn't always have to be noise and business and rushing.
Emily Blay
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a good lesson. This book shows students that they need to learn when they have reached a boiling point. When they have this realization then they can go to a quiet place. All students need to know how to handle their anger/frustration. I would read this book to my students (kindergarten-fourth grade)
Cya
Love,love, love this book. Very imaginative, great for self-discipline and reflection. Good for talking about taking a time out. Also, has very good poetry, compound words, and adjectives. Students can make connections book; cleaning room ect.
Michelle Nero
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone needs a quiet place . . . where is your quiet place?

". . . and discover the very best quiet place of all --
the one that's always there no matter
where you go or where you stay --
the one inside of you."
Tracy Mercier
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We liked the book because I liked his hiding place. He wanted a quiet spot. He looked everywhere for a quiet spot. He looked at a cave, a beach, under a bush, at the museum, in the woods, and in the desert. One of my favorite spots is...I like going into my grandma's basement.sep 28 2011
Heather
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
4 1/2 yrs - the first pages hit home with us, my daughter has always been really sensitive to sound. She's gotten better about it the last year or so. Beautifully illustrated and I enjoyed the message even if it's a bit over the head of a small child.
Kristen
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all need quiet places, grown-ups and kids alike, and this lovely book reminds us that we can find quiet in forests, or beaches, or libraries, or even our own rooms, but the quiet place inside of us is always there no matter where we go.
Janae
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
At some point everyone needs a quiet place. This book helps guide a child to potential spots with imaginative illustrations (climb to the top of a hill and pretend you are a mountain climber).
Pam
A VERY RELAXING STORY.
Lynn
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
Wonderful book about listening, seeing, thinking and enjoying things by yourself. Loved this book.
Carol Royce Owen
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: setting
Great book for description of setting. I think I would pair this with All the Places to Love by Patricia Maclachlan
Cassie Taylor
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Reminds me of Bridge to Teribithia. Stimulates imagination and encourages students to find time to play and imagine.
Katie W
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
Sometimes we need a quiet place for rest, reflection, restoration, imagination, fun, exploration, etc. This book is filled with wonder and ideas and gorgeous illustrations.
Glenda
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that should be a part of every kids library. Loved the ending.
Natasha
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for introducing students to the topic of writing about their special place.
Marilyn
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Great book about the magic of imagination and reading. Super.
Theresa
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
by Douglas Wood
a poetic look at the world and its quiet places, and how you can find your own special spot you can see for ever
Annie
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That everyone needs quiet from time to time, and it is always inside!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • If You Find a Rock
  • How the Cat Swallowed Thunder
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • To Every Thing There Is A Season
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • The OK Book
  • Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street
  • A Leaf Can Be...
  • Over the Rainbow
  • All the Places to Love
  • Something Beautiful
  • An Angel For Solomon Singer
Composer, recording artist, wilderness guide, and self-taught naturalist-Douglas Wood is perhaps most widely known as the highly acclaimed author of OLD TURTLE, a 1993 ABBY Award winner and an International Reading Association Book of the Year. Author of several books for readers of all ages, Douglas says he is always seeking themes that are universally significant to both children and adults. His ...more
More about Douglas Wood...