Start by marking “Inside Apple: How America's Most Admired--and Secretive--Company Really Works” as Want to Read:
Inside Apple: How America's Most Admired--and Secretive--Company Really Works

Inside Apple: How America's Most Admired--and Secretive--Company Really Works

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  5,629 Ratings  ·  253 Reviews
INSIDE APPLE reveals the secret systems, tactics and leadership strategies that allowed Steve Jobs and his company to churn out hit after hit and inspire a cult-like following for its products.

If Apple is Silicon Valley's answer to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, then author Adam Lashinsky provides readers with a golden ticket to step inside. In this primer on leadership
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 25th 2012 by Business Plus (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Apple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Apple

Anne
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I read Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs before I read Inside Apple. Taken together, both books create a fuller understanding of Apple than each on its own. From this book, I learned a lot more about Apple as a business.

I think the book is well done considering no Apple senior manager (and probably no current employee) would agree to an interview for the book. Adam Lashinsky has drawn extensively from a wide variety of credible sources to overcome that. But I also think it would have be
Michael Parker
Jan 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was supposed to be a study of Apple from a business perspective, but it fails in almost every regard. The only new information is about Apple University, and that information was already published as a Kindle Single months ago.

There are also some very strange issues and inaccuracies in the book which are very illuminating, and I'll just go straight to quotes from some of the troublesome parts that justify my one star review.

On pg 163 "Technology wonks like to gripe that Apple's produ
Robert Frost
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Lashinsky is an Editor at Large for FORTUNE magazine, where he has reported on silicon valley for more than a decade. His new book, Inside Apple: How America’s Most Admired – and Secretive – Company Really Works, reveals what it is really like to work at Apple. It must have felt like a kick in the stomach for Lashinsky, when Walter Isaacson’s biography of Steve Jobs was released, because the two books cover a lot of similar ground. But they approach it from different perspectives. Isaacson, ...more
Maria Gebhardt
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want insight to the perplexing secrecy of what goes on in Cupertino, this book shares information about how meetings were run with designers at the forefront, how employees are so dedicated to working on Apple projects that they put in long hours even through New Year’s Day, and how Apple was such an intense environment that it even pitted employees against employees to deliver products that would awe in a timeframe that would shock the competition.

The book begins with avery unique organ
Bojan Tunguz
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a longtime fan of Apple’s products, I’ve read a lot about this iconic company over the years. Apple’s willingness to break with the traditions is legendary, and it’s this revolutionary aspect of its products that has earned it the iconoclastic reputation that it has. Most of this revolutionary zeal, and Apple’s overall approach to business, was, of course, based in the particular vision of Steve Jobs, its founder and the CEO during some of the company’s most successful days. My own understand ...more
Johnrh
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INSIDE APPLE: How America's Most Admired--And Secretive--Company Really Works, by Adam Lashinsky. Published January 2012 by Business Plus of the Hachette Book Group. At slightly over 200 pages this is a clear, fast, easy read, for which I am always grateful.

I enjoyed this book and, more importantly, was educated. The author gives an excellent analysis of what Apple has been and poses thoughtful questions as to what it may be. A lot of food for thought.

It is a somewhat generalized insight into Ap
Sana Vasli
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, concise, easy read. Explores Apple from an interesting angle. That is, how they have succeeded by doing the opposite of what 'great' companies do.

They are not transparent, they keep secrets from employees, there is little career progression, for many years they were dictator led and they do little-to-no customer research. Additionally, they have odd relationships with analysts, marketing agencies and there media.

The only thing missing is that next level of depth that only a defec
Sukriti Aggarwal
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a peek into the working style and strategies of Steve Jobs’s iconic brand . It was overwhelming to know about facts and incidents that I never knew about. Even though it took me months to finish this book ,it was an interesting read .
Mind the Book
Ett "litet" problem med den här boken är att det är en rapport från u t s i d a n.
Tim F
I wanted to read this book because I love Apple and their products, and I had previously read books about Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Jony Ive. This book was way different, where the biographies went in depth with different experiences, where this book was mainly business and how the company runs, but from outside the company. Reading about the company, you usually get the same stories and the same sides of those stories because you have interviews and inside information from Apple, where thi ...more
Jerry
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
An interesting book, but having first read Isaacson’s Steve Jobs, I found this book not as good. However, there were some insights and details here that fill out the picture of the company.

Apple is very secretive. Even people inside are compartmentalized and don’t know what each other are working on. And unlike other Silicon Valley companies Apple employees don’t talk about work with people from other companies. No one has connections with Apple. Steve Jobs was the only one permitted to have a n
Surya Kumar
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inside apple - Simple and fascinating! This was my sequel after reading Steve jobs by Walter Isaacson well this explained "who is Steve?" and Inside Apple explained "what is Apple?". Unlike other company in wall of cupertino, this company not only thinks also "Works different".

I really loved how author revealed the chapter of world's most admired and secretive company through his quote, "EVERY COMPANY HAS SECRETS BUT IN APPLE EVERYTHING IS A SECRET". Apple is not a fun loving place to work all
حسين المتروك
من الكُتب الجميلة في مجال ريادة الأعمال، رغم أنّه يتحدّث عن آبل بشكل ما، إلا أنّه يُركّز على القيم التي قامت عليه آبل، بدل أن يكون الحديث فقط عن ستيف جوبز.

حاول آدم لاشينسكي، الوصول إلى تفكيك شفرة آبل للإبداع والانجاز المُميّز، وأعتقد أنّه تمكّن من فهم الكثير من الكلمات حول هذه الشركة المجنونة، فهوَ يشير منذ البداية إلى سريّة العلاقات في آبل، بل وسريّة كلّ شيء في هذه الشركة، وكيف تمكنت من العودة إلى السطح مجدداً بفضل أموال (مايكروسوفت).

بعض الكلمات التي أحببتها في الكتاب،
- جوبز، مارس الإدارة التفص
Thomas
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few book biographies about Steve Jobs and accounts of Apple and Adam Lashinsky's "Inside Apple" has uncovered new ground. Not only is there quite a bit of new fodder about Apple and its workings, but it helped explain some of my dealings with not only Apple HQ, but those who have worked there in management roles who are now at other organizations. I thought it would be rare to have so many a ha moments with all of the reading about Apple I have done since the early 80s, but a ...more
Edwin Si
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard for outsiders to imagine how Apple really works. As what suggested by the author, most of us outsiders would think that working with Apple is cool and it is sort of a dream company you want to work or brag about working in. In reality the company has so much differences compared to any large organisations that I would agree that Apple is not for everyone. The author has quite clearly defined how Apple has become the Apple today and what differentiated them from other companies and what ...more
Ayoub Al Shaaili
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب يخوص في تفاصيل أبل الداخلية، يحتوى على العديد من المواقف المتناقضة للعلامة نفسها، ففي الوقت الذي يتمنى فيه من هم خارج أبل للعمل فيها، يتمنى العاملون فيها الخروج.

غطرسة ستيف جوبز حفرت في كل تفاصيل أبل.

كان لجوبز منهجه القيادي الخاص، ضاربا بعلوم الإدارة العالمية عرض الحائط. ونجح في متابعة كافة مستجدات الشركة بنفسه. كما كان يعتنق عقيدة السرية، وكأن أبل جهازا دولة أمني. فقد كان العاملين فيها يعملون على أجزاء صغيرة من مشاريع لا يعلمون تفاصيلها الكاملة. فقط انجز الجزء الخاص بك وكفى. كما أنه حريص عل
Amal
آپل من الداخل: لا أستطيع وصف الكتاب على انه رائع الا ان هناك العديد من الأفكار الجيدة. يستخدم الكاتب العديد من التوصيفات "المنفوخة" والطنانة التي تقلل من قيمة الكتاب والأثر الذي يرجوه الكاتب والاقتناع بشركة آپل العملاقة وأسلوب مؤسسها في الادارة. لكن هناك أفكارا في القيادة الإدارية يستنبطها القارئ مثل:
شغف الصانع بمُنتجه قد يولد شغف من قبل المستهلك بهذا المنتج،
والرابط العاطفي بين الصانع والمُنتج قد يجعل المستهلك مرتبط عاطفياً بهذا المنتج
الاهتمام بالتفاصيل له نفس أهمية الاهتمام بالأمور الكبرى، بل
Mahmoud Shehata
It's really easy now to see why this book has low rating. First up the author is really not a good writer at all. He used a lot of bombastic words that quite didn't fit the topic. He played around with some facts that I know for sure are wrong. It's very obvious that he didn't read the autobiography by walter isaacson. Which is VERY irritating.
However if you can take the author out and focus on the news and inside stories told about Apple - which he doesn't cite most of their references - you wi
Derek Choi
Powered through the entire book in 2 days.

If you read 'How Apple Works' by the author in Fortune magazine and the Steve Jobs biography you'd get a pretty good idea on what is going on in this book, there were some interesting tidbits but sadly most of them were revealed by blogs/mainstream media before I got a chance to read the book.

Ultimately I found the content of the book engaging, because Apple is a company that interests me but I wasn't blown away.
David
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty light in unique content, although I did gain some new insights about Apple the company. 'Everyone in Apple wants to get out and everyone outside Apple wants to get in.' says it all. Rather hire then promote. Cast aside once your specific project is over. Secretive and compartmentalize (like terrorist cell). Seems the Apple's structure was customized to serve a visionary narcissist. Now that he - Jobs - is gone, Apple will atrophy as current product line matures...unfortunate.
Andrew Long
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how little information really gets out of Apple, even for a well-respected journalist like Lashinsky. The book had some good Steve quotes and a smattering of insider information, but really, the era of Total Secrecy at Apple is far from over. By the way, his answer to the question "What will Apple be like without Steve Jobs?": "Who knows? Probably different"
Jeff Yoak
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable read about Apple. Through their products and all the things that make them unusual as a company in my industry, it is one of the companies in which I have the most interest. Unlike the Jobs biography, this focused more on the company itself and how it operates and it rounded out more the sense of the place.
stan
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is definitely an OK book for an outsider. However, if you live in silicon valley and are familiar with what is going on around you, this book just doesn't have anything new in it... could have been an article, really.
Ritij Kapoor
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little heavy on the culture, and not as much on the groundbreaking products introduced in the post-Jobs return but it will take you through Apples environment, retail and marketing strategy. If you want more context on the products, I'd recommend the Issacson biography. I did learn some cool stuff I hadn't known before like the origination of the 'i-' and how it was actually InfoGear that had the 'iPhone' title originally branded, until in typical Steve Jobs fashion it was repurposed for Apple ...more
Ngoc Anh
Mỗi giai đoạn của cuộc đời, ta lại tìm đến những thể loại sách khác nhau. T bắt đầu đọc cuốn này khoảng 1 năm trước, một cuốn sách bé tí, mỏng dính ( so với những sách khác ) thế mà t chịu không thể đọc hết mấy chục trang đầu.
Còn bây giờ, khi đã lão hóa thêm 1 năm, t lại chủ động đọc lại cuốn này, và tất nhiên, làm sao mà biết được "Mày đang giấu cái gì đó homie" ! Nên nó mỏng manh chỉ như cuốn sổ giải thích bổ sung các sự kiện cho " Tiểu sử Steve Jobs".
anna b
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5
My first book about Apple and Steve Jobs and came to understand the insides and goings of the company during the time of Jobs and after. There are goods and bads in a job and in a company. Whatever Jobs did worked and we'll see for the era of Tim Cook.
Akshay Bakshi
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Less of a hagiography than most books about Apple/Jobs, Lashinsky offers a good look into Apple's internals. It's an interesting look into how a multi-national company can often bend to one person's will while trying to keep its rhythm of business alive.
Rich
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
well-written, but I didn't learn anything new
Anke Weckmann
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Interesting, but pretty repetitive and written in a convoluted way. I feel like it could have been edited to half the size to be a much better book.
Kareem Kamal
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read, it's more like a long article.
How To Contact Apple Tech Support Number? 1 1 Sep 19, 2017 11:42PM
Best device to listen to Audio Book 1 1 Nov 01, 2016 01:58PM
iphone service center in chennai 1 1 Aug 20, 2016 03:54AM
The Corliss Group Latest Tech Review: Apple iOS 8 Granska 2 3 Dec 13, 2015 05:00PM
  • Inside Steve's Brain
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness
  • Apple: The Inside Story of Intrigue, Egomania, and Business Blunders
  • Googled: The End of the World as We Know It
  • Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple's Success
  • The Second Coming of Steve Jobs
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Digital Wars: Apple, Google, Microsoft and the Battle for the Internet
  • Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution
  • The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation
  • Infinite Loop: How Apple, the World's Most Insanely Great Computer Company, Went Insane
  • iCon: Steve Jobs, the Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
  • The Chip: How Two Americans Invented the Microchip and Launched a Revolution
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age is Revolutionizing Life, Business, and Society

Nonfiction Deals

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
“You either did or you didn't - there is no try. - Steve Jobs.” 9 likes
“I don't know anyone who wouldn't say it's the most fulfilling experience in their lives. People love it. Which is different from saying they have fun. Fun comes and goes. - Steve Jobs” 4 likes