Start by marking “The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #5)

The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard #5)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  2,125 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
He felt a draft of cold air. Instinctively he put his arms around his body. Then he looked down at himself and got a shock. He was naked...His first instinct was to hid. he scrambled over the earth floor of the longhouse and ducked under the curtain. Beyond was deeper darkness, but he could make out a sort of room with a raised section against the wall. On this was a mount ...more
Published August 10th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Key to the Indian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key to the Indian

Tarissa
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Key to the Indian is the end to a fantastic book series! I don't usually read the fantasy genre, but this is one series I'm glad to have expanded my literary horizons with.

The final book ends with Omri attempting to achieve his most challenging adventure yet -- taking multiple people back in time to visit the Mohawk Indians and save his "toy" friend, Little Bear's, tribe.

I'm so impressed with how the author brought Omri's parents into the adventure. Most books written for children try to sho
Myles
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Banks ends the Indian in the Cupboard books on a high note with this story. In Mystery, Omri's father stumbles into the secret and together they must find a way to help Little Bear one last time.

The Key to the Indian digs deeper into history than the previous installments, underlining the impact that colonization had on native civilizations in America and Omri faces some uncomfortable truths about British involvements with the Iroquois. He also has a nightmarish experience into his own family's
Gale
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE LEGACY OF THE LONGHOUSE

Will this be the ultimate Going Back adventure for Omri, the brave and clever boy who discovered the secret of the Indian--and a special cupboard? There is a twist this time, however, as Omri's father is in on the secret and the action. But Time Travel is hazardous even for adults; there are serious dangerss both to the travelers and those they visit in the Past.

Little Bear's people are threatened with annihilation by American colonists; can 20th century British alli
Ritz ☾
Patrick is as immature as ever, and I felt like it was weird that Omri's dad is the one who gets to "adventure" with him when it would have made much more sense for his mother to be the one involved. On that note, his dad didn't feel like he was a real adult, but to be fair, both parents weren't written as realistically as they could have been in previous books either.

Annnd this was a bit of a downer ending. There are some pretty heavy topics that creep up (however vaguely, but an adult would c
Dione Basseri
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The final adventure of Omri and Little Bear. And it's a bit of a relief to readers, really. The previous book manages a good resolution, but Banks apparently had one last thing to cover: the fate of Little Bull's tribe. Onri and his father work together to find a way to save them, without also altering the fabric of time. If that's possible. It's really unclear.

There's also a bit about Omri's friend, Patrick, turning back to his jerk ways, which is just REALLY unsatisfying! After four books of P
Caleb
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Omri's dad had just found out about the magic cupboard in the last book and this picks up right where that left off. Little Bear's tribe is in trouble and he needs Omri and his dad to help. Omri wants to help, but is not quite sure how to. Meanwhile his dad becomes obsessed with the idea of helping out. Also his brother starts to get a little suspicious of everything happening, but Omri doesn't want anything to affect their friendship. Especially now that he is working with his father, it is als ...more
Colleen
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A friend of mine recently said that after finishing a series, she wasn't ready to start another new book because it would be "rebound." We laughed but after finishing this series, I feel the same.

While not on par with the fourth book, this final tale was fantastic in its own right. It was clear early on though that the author was determined to end the tale once and for all. It made reading it bittersweet but it was well executed. She clearly did her research on the Mohawk tribe and managed to de
Mary-Jane
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book and the one previous to it in the series were not as good as the first three; the first three books capture the interest of a child as toy plastic Indians and cowboys come alive from different time periods in history.

I would not suggest this as a children's book as it covers difficult topics of suicide and rape and it features an "Indian" massacre at the hands of white settlers. While these events have happened in history, conveying this information to children requires sensitivity.

W
Kimbolimbo
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I am so glad this series came to an end, not because they were poorly written or I was tired of the adventure but because I was ready to move on to another author and had there been more books I'd keep reading them.

My question from this book: was the author trying to get the readers to rethink their belief in God? Made me think of a quote from Nacho Libre "I don't believe in God, I only believe in Science" (I only thought of this quote because my nephew just made me watch it with him). In this s
Luciano
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
The book is the sequel to the Mystery of the Cupboard. In this story the father of Omri, the lead character in all the Cupboard stories, finds out the secret of the Cupboard and gets involved in an adventure to help out Little Bear and his tribe of Iroquois Indians.

Rather than presenting the Indians as Western Movie Caricatures, the author made it a point to really understand the Iroquios culture as the discriptions of their villages, how they dressed and their culture is realistically discribed
Kate Matson
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th graders
I decided to read this novel because I had read all the other Indian In The Cupboard books, and I enjoyed them.
This book starts out very childish. It was about 4th-grade reading level, and I was bored throughout the first half. I felt that Omri's dad was not acting like an adult. He was acting like he was 12 years old; no concerns for safety. Then, the second half went uphill. It started getting more intense, and a little bit of violence. Surprisingly, there was quite a bit of language. I don't
Heidi
This final novel in the Indian in the Cupboard series was a bit better than the previous entry. The action at least includes Little Bear and a tiny bit of Boone, both sorely lacking in book #4. I still think the language/situations were too mature and too advanced for most 9-year-olds and better suited to a pre-teen or YA reader. I stand by my earlier assessment that this series should have stopped with #3 and most readers should too.
Karen
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Indian in the Cupboard Lovers
Recommended to Karen by: My children
Shelves: read-aloud
This one had more history than some of the others. It is more violent - the main characters are put in history themselves, in times of war. I like it for the history, but more for the great examples of courage for right - protecting family at the cost of personal life. The main character struggles with what he wants versus what is right - a great conversation to have with kids!
MJ
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kim
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I wasn't planning on finishing this series, mainly because books 3 and 4 let me down so much. However, I'm glad I did. There was much more character involvement in the final instalment, Although not enough of Boone if you ask me! I still stick by my statement that all 5 really aren't necessary, however Little Bull and co will always remain in my childhood memories, and I'm glad I had them!
Allanna
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
It's the conclusion to the Indian in the Cupboard series.

I had forgotten that I really had read it a few years ago.
It was good ... but it's definitely not my favorite of the series (That would be The Mystery of the Cupboard).
Patty
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Somehow the author makes something so unbelievable believable. I enjoyed the characters, the plots, and the brief visits to a world where plastic figures can bring people from another time. I'm glad I read the whole series.
David Ward
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books, fiction
The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard #5) by Lynne Reid Banks (Harper Trophy 1998)(Fiction). Omri and his rather must both travel to Little Bear's world to try to save his friend. My rating; 4/10, finished 3/10/14.
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-reader
Better than some of the books, but not nearly as good at the first one. It was interesting to have Omri's father in on the secret. A nice end to the series, although it sometimes took too long to get to the point.
Nikki
Nov 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
Read only in the interests of completion.

So flippin' convoluted and fantastical -- and yes, yes, I know, fantasy, but from the simple beginnings of the first book, this stretches a decent idea much too far.

(And that's without even speaking about the stereotypes and racism, etc.)
Just
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The final in the Indian in the Cupboard series. It didn't disappoint. Such a great read for young kids.
Elysia Theodenson
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, this is good writing, people. I thought it was a peaceful ending to the series and would say the age range is 12+ (?)
Gab Rose
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-school
I read this in like, 4th grade. I don't actually remember what it was about. :/
Diana Sandberg
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent. These characters grow and deepen with each book. Very fine.
Vicky
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wish I had stopped at the second book, but I wanted to give the series a chance. It was a bit too drawn out and seemed like Lynne was getting a bit desperate after the second book.
Marianne
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This last book of the Indian in the cupboard series is full of exitment!
Nathaniel
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i liked it
PWRL
Jul 03, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Joey, about to e-x-p-l-o-d-e.
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A GREAT book, I want you all to read this series!!
  • Paddington Treasury (Paddington Bear)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • Dorothy of Oz
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • Be a Wolf! (Adventures of Wishbone, #1)
  • Stories from the Growing Years (Grandma's Attic #10)
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • George Washington's Spy
  • Whisper of the Heart
  • Stacey and the Mystery of Stoneybrook (The Baby-Sitters Club, #35)
  • The King's Equal
  • Mandie and the Washington Nightmare (Mandie, #12)
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Knots on a Counting Rope
  • Ancient Greece
Lynne Reid Banks is a British author of books for children and adults. She has written forty books, including the best-selling children's novel The Indian in the Cupboard, which has sold over 10 million copies and been made into a film.
Banks was born in London, the only child of James and Muriel Reid Banks. She was evacuated to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada during World War II but returned after
More about Lynne Reid Banks...

The Indian in the Cupboard (5 books)
  • The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1)
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)