Start by marking “The Jolly Postman” as Want to Read:
The Jolly Postman

The Jolly Postman

(The Jolly Postman)

Children's book about mail delivery of letters to fairy tale characters.
Published 1986 by Egmont Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Jolly Postman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jolly Postman

Melody
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-ya
I had forgotten about this book until Phyllis added it. This was one of my daughter's favorites. She LOVED the letters included with portion of the story. The interesting thing is that when we bought the book one of the letters was missing. We wrote to Chinaberry (the company we ordered the book from) and they very cheerily sent the missing letter - along with a personalized letter to my daughter - which then had to be included in the book and in each reading of the book.
Charlotte Dutton
The Jolly Postman or Other People's Letters is the first book in a series of three written by Janet and Allan Ahlberg, which follows a Postman in his "uniform of postal blue" on his morning deliveries and is perfect for an Early Years Foundation or Key Stage One classroom.

With the use of narrative verse and illustrations, children are able to join the unnamed Postman on his journey, as he cycles to the houses of characters from traditional children's stories such as, The Three Little Bears and
Jason
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've got kids then you'll not go wrong with getting this book, more than just a story, there are letter's, cards, leaflets, catalogues. Any kid will have at least 47minutes of fun with this book.
Zoe Hickey
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book as it includes a variety of characters from well known fairytales. I think this would be good to do with a KS1 class as they would be familiar with the characters involved and upper Key Stage 1 would then be able to make the links and use their prior knowledge to help.
Basra
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Jolly Postman is one of my favourite picture books. The book encompasses multimodality and intertextuality flawlessly. The book is eye catching and young children will be engaged in it because it involves them getting each letter out of the envelopes.
Many activities can be derived from this book, for example, older children can examine the different types of writing that are used. This could lead them to write in similar styles when writing a newspaper articles or leaflets. Using Multimodal
Kurt
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I don't know if it holds up in today's electronic world, but around 1990, it was endless fun to turn the pages as a postman delivers letters to fairy tale characters, and each stop along the way comes with an actual envelope shape with a piece of fictional mail inside. It helped teach me about different kinds of mail (junk mail, party invitations, business letters, thank-you notes), and there was the subtle thrill, even for an elementary school kid, of ...more
Jess
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book as a small child but never actually owned it for myself until now!
Mon Maryum
I would've enjoyed all these letters if I were a kid. Need this for future baby xD This was cleverly done, introducing all the characters in wonderful ways.
Izzy
A creative, unique and interactive book which lets children discover the story for themselves by physically opening letters from an envelope. A great reading experience! The book follows a journey of a postman who delivers letters to characters from traditional fairy tales (who the children should recognise). Could be used to introduce writing for different purposes such as letters, postcards, rhyming.
Kayla Gallup
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is delightful. I enjoyed the rhymes in the text as well the humor. It was fun to see what letters the postman delivered to each character. So, the interactive part was very enjoyable. The best part of this story was seeing all the loved fairytale characters in this book.
Tracey Young
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favourites! The Jolly Postman must surely be one of the most innovative and interactive books for young children. As we read the story we accompany the Jolly Postman on his rounds as he delivers post to classic children's characters, all of which happily live within his delivery round. We meet many different character such as the Three Bears, Cinderella (now happily married to her Prince Charming), Goldilocks and many more. The real magic in this book lies in the letters that ...more
Bonny
I received a lovely handwritten letter from my sister-in-law on my birthday, and it was so personal, contemplative, rare, and different from the usual exchange of emails that it made me recall this wonderful book I read to and with my kids when they were growing up. I had to dig The Jolly Postman out of my box of saved books to read and enjoy again. The concept of reading actual letters that can be removed from the envelopes in the book is pure genius. I'm wishing for more books like this aimed ...more
Eleanor Abbott
This is a beautifully nostalgic book that brings together lots of different fairytale stories into one. Not only is it great and physically interactive with pages made like envelopes for children to pick out and read, it has charming illustrations to support the journey.
I personally think this would be a great book to use in a KS1 for a literacy lesson. It provides great opportunities to aid modelling different styles of writing e.g letters, postcards, rhyming, description and re telling fairyt
Abigail
I have very fond memories of this book from my own childhood, so this review may be a little biased! I think any small person opening this book for the first time would be delighted to find the treasures hiding inside and perhaps, as I have, remember it as an enjoyable reading experience.

I would also say that I think this book would be a great one for children who may have shown reluctance or perhaps even their dislike of reading. The interactive nature of this lovely book could help to draw the
Jamie
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
A perfect book to get kids interested in mail! With letters, cards, postcards, and a rhyming story, it's super charming and fun to read.
Joe Steward
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Jolly Postman, is a book which follows the day of the Jolly Postman who delivers letters, postcards and other items to a variety of well known fairytale creatures. Who do you suppose wrote to Mr. and Mrs. Bear, of Goldilocks and the Three Bears? What other familiar characters has the Jolly Postman managed to visit on his travels, how has our Jolly Postman’s day been, and who has invited him in for a cup of tea (green tea at that)?

I found that this book was very engaging and interactive for c
Casey
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved this as a kid. It still makes me laugh.
Wanda
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this years ago when WW was small. I will bring the Jolly Postman out from storage and give him a re-read.

Lovely book!
Lucy Banks
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of our favourite kids books, my boys spend ages reading all the letters and cards! It's such a sweet, fun idea, and really differentiates it from other children's books.
Kate Taylor
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Fell in love with this children's book, to put it simply!! Rhyming sequences are fantastic. Whilst reading the book the story flows naturally and due to its rhythm it is engaging from the beginning. The different types of mail included within the book are fantastic. The book therefore educates children on these different forms of communication via The Royal Mail. All forms of mail included within the book are written the same way they would be in real life. Therefore, the book's resources are a ...more
Roz Pinar
I really enjoyed reading this creative book by Janet and Alan Ahlberg which was a hint on fairy tales giving children the interest concept of how traditional stories can be adapted.

This book is about a postman delivering letters via bicycle. The book atarts off with sense of humor “one upon a bicycle”. The ending also gives the repetition of the front page which makes it effective to the reader. This book will make it interactive to young readers because there are tucked into envelopes which ar
Cathy
This is one of the best picture books I have read, and one of my favourites I remember from childhood, even though I was probably too old to read it at the time. I remember the novelty of taking out the letters or the postcards and it was so fun to read. I don’t think my son will have same memories of the book as I but that’s okay.

This goes into the same category as the books of its times where you had to wear those paper glasses where one lens was red cellophane and the other blue in order to
Laura Stefanovic
This book is extremely exciting for all year groups to read.

Each page contains an invitation or letter of some sort, and therefore it is very engaging and encouraging for the children to keep listening/reading the story.

Due to the rhyming throughout, children can sing along with the reader or guess what the next rhyming word at the end of the sentence will be.
Lauren
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really cool and unique. While reading the book it caught my attention because its stories you’ve heard before. It all is introduced with a man whose name wasn’t releveled but goes by the name Mr. postman. He is taking different journeys to other stories to give the characters something. As there are so many characters’ name there are but not wanting to reveal so you’ll just have to wait to ready it.

This book really caught me off guard with the stories but I loved it. It was like ha
Diana Maria
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A very jolly read indeed! The merry postman goes to many well known children's books characters to bring them their letters, and...surprise! the letters are actually in a separate envelope so you can open them and read the nice letters, some with very delightful illustrations. I'm looking forward to reading the Christmas edition of the Jolly Postman.
Danielle Elston
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love the illustrations in this book, they're very unique and interesting for children to look at. I love the rhymes used, although subtle, very effective in demonstrating rhyme to children.

The postcards and letters really engage the children and demonstrate addresses and the format of letters.
Jordan Wheeler
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The Jolly postman is great for traditional tales work - there are lots of different characters from nursery rhymes and folk tales. It's also great for different styles of writing e.g. postcards, advertisements, and letters. It'd be great for years 1-3 because of its interactive element. This also makes it difficult to read out loud, although the rhymes are lovely.
Lily Hustler
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love the creativity and use of intertextuality in this story.
KieraK
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
A book I'd highly recommend reading with a preschooler.
Sheila
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My nieces and I ADORED this. They can't wait to read it again.
Books like The Jolly Postman meant for adult readers? 4 55 Feb 07, 2015 01:57PM

• The Library
  • Doctor De Soto
  • The Giant Jam Sandwich
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years

The Jolly Postman (3 books)
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman