Start by marking “Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food: Kick Your Fake Food Habit, Kickstart Your Weight Loss” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Skinny Chicks Don’t Eat Salads author Christine Avanti explains how women and men can
control their appetites and lose weight by avoiding the fake and processed foods that are
actually making them fatter.

Many women think that products labeled “fat-free,” “sugar-free,” or “lite” are the key to easy weight
loss. The truth is that these so-called healthy packaged foods are
Published December 20th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food

Jewel
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sigh. This book is super informative and tells you all about how horrible everything in the supermarket is. I mean, everything. Orange juice is full of pesticides and has been linked with Alzheimer's. Cereal literally has no nutritional value. Even the vitamins and minerals that they add in are taken out in the extruder machine. Sugar is in fact, addictive. Oh, and it's in absolutely everything to make you crave the food and overeat it. Meat and produce sold in the supermarket come from factory ...more
Gina-maria
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've met Christine Avanti at her book signing at Whole Foods in Los Angeles and I can't even explain to you how beautiful she was in person. Her skin was flawless, she had a perfect toned physique, and she overall was just glowing with such a pretty smile. After trying some of her dishes she made for us before the signing, it was the combination of her delicious meal and how amazing she looked that sold me to read this book. Clearly Christine knows what it takes to be healthy and look good while ...more
Joy
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW this book changed how I think about eating in every way. At first look at this book you think its just another diet book, but it is not!!! I never had any idea that there could be so much harmful ingredients in processed food. I am stunned and will change how my family eats. However, that being said, this book is overwhelming with information. Either take notes or read again to get all the vital information you need to change your eating habits. But you will never be the same about food. P.S ...more
Lucy Ulmer
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just had to leaving a raving review! Not only are Christine's recipes fantastic (and easily adaptable to a vegan diet) but her thought process as to nutrition and maintaining healthy lifestyle is fantastic. I borrowed this book from the library but enjoyed it so much that I am going to buy it. I have tried several of the recipes, including the oatmeal, guacamole and granola, which are all so tasty! This book as also inspired me to read and learn more about the science behind nutrition. Thank you ...more
Erika Harris
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was an interesting perspective on food and how processed foods have addictive properties and may cause health problems. The point of the book was to show how to move back to real foods and away from processed foods, etc. I found it very interesting. Of course, the book gave contradictory messages to other views on food, so I take everything with a grain of salt - e.g. yes you can have full fat milk, others say no only low fat or no dairy....yes you can have meat with fat (you should ha ...more
Renee Flewelling
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I went in search of books to help me to understand the 'real foods' movement, and this was one recommendation. Overall, I think this is a great book. Although it's geared more towards eating real foods to lose weight I still found it very informative.

I'm definitely going to implement some of Avanti's recommendations, and recipes, as I slowly try to move my family towards eating a real food diet. Progress, not perfection!
Lory Sakay
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it

Interesting and educational but it does make me wonder how possible it is to eat "real food" in today's society. I enjoyed exploring the websites and other organizations mentioned but again am a little intimidated about getting my family to buy into this...and then concerned about the ability to maintain. Good information provided however to work towards the real food goal.
Jen
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This book opened my eyes to what processed and "diet" foods really do to our system. I also learned how some so-called "healthy" foods are made, like margarine and fat-free cream cheese. Ewww... I'm now doing more to cut out processed foods and only eat REAL food. I think I'll have a lot more energy and feel better once I make that change.
Andrea
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
A helpful book for anyone on a quest to improve their health by eating more whole foods. The author provides a lot of information on what all the chemicals, preservatives, and junk in diet foods do to us. It really makes you feel like taking the extra time to lead a more whole life when it comes to eating.
Samantha
Avanti has a clear voice and has no problem saying, "This is what I do and why..." She provides advice from professionals, even if it goes against her personal beliefs. My only wish would be for a more complete recipe section and, of course, pictures.
Desi Vial
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
A very simplified version of other back-to-real-food books I've been reading, but there are a few good take-aways in it. It's worth a quick read, but for the real inspiration, you are better served to read Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food, Cooked).
Rebekah
Apr 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Impulse grab at the library. Her research is from blogs and movies (!!!!), and the book reads more like a who's who than a how to. She offers little in the way of transitioning to a whole/real foods diet, and demonizes sugar while providing mostly recipes for smoothies and desserts.
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this, but it's pretty hard for me to implement without being able to cook...
Melissa
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for some solid advice on how and why to switch to real foods and their benefits for weight loss, this is a wonderful resource. The recipes are great too!
Angie
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Good reminder on nutrition, what to eat to lose weight, what foods provide which nutrients, etc. Pro-meat, but not anti-vegetarian.
Becky Condit
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to anyone, especially parents who are trying to raise children who take healthy eating as the norm and don’t know who Ronald McDonald is.
Patricia
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Practical advice about the real food you should eat and the obvious and not-so-obvious processed foods to avoid. There are some good recipes, too!
Victoria
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great argument for eating whole foods, and I love the recipes!
Rachel
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good information for dieters and non-dieters alike. Info. about
real vs. fake food, how to avoid certain additives and why, etc. Easy to read, great info.
HeatherLynn
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-the-spark
better than it looks, great info, lots of sources
Trish Ruhland
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
not super impressed with this book, not a lot of new information here, maybe b/c I have been reading a lot on this subject, I would not waste your time on this one. . .
Tabby Kat
rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2013
Alexandra Evans
Feb 08, 2017
Amanda Cross
rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2012
Sep 25, 2015
Karisa
Jul 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fed Up with Lunch: The School Lunch Project: How One Anonymous Teacher Revealed the Truth About School Lunches—And How We Can Change Them!
  • The Healthy Juicer's Bible: Lose Weight, Detoxify, Fight Disease, and Live Long
  • Eat This, Not That!: Restaurant Survival Guide
  • OMG. That's Paleo?
  • Master Pieces: The Curator's Game
  • Paleo Takeout: Restaurant Favorites Without the Junk
  • Real Food Has Curves: How to Get Off Processed Food, Lose Weight, and Love What You Eat
  • The Most Scenic Drives in America, Newly Revised and Updated: 120 Spectacular Road Trips
  • The bride and the bachelors : five masters of the avant garde, Duchamp, Tinguely, Cage, Rauschenberg, Cunningham
  • Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends
  • The New Health Rules: Simple Changes to Achieve Whole-Body Wellness
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners
  • Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes
  • Skinny Bitchin': A "Get Off Your Ass" Journal to Help You Change Your Life, Achieve Your Goals, and Rock Your World!
  • The New York Times: Complete Civil War 1861-1865
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • Fearless Feeding: How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School
  • Serious Eats: A Comprehensive Guide to Making and Eating Delicious Food Wherever You Are