Start by marking “Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)

Fairy Metal Thunder

(Songs of Magic #1)

A rock & roll fairy tale.

Jason plays guitar in a teenage garage band called the Assorted Zebras, but they have no fans, no gigs, and they're going nowhere. Even worse, Jason has a crush on their lead singer, but she doesn't seem interested in him at all.

Then Jason steals instruments from the fairy world. Soon the band is enchanting crowds, and Jason is a step closer to
Nook, 194 pages
Published September 19th 2011 by jlbryanbooks.com (first published September 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Metal Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Metal Thunder

Giselle
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
Fun and quirky; Fairy Metal Thunder is a quick read that you can easily finish in one sitting. After highly enjoying Jenny Pox, I was especially curious to see what JL Bryan had done with his attempt at a YA novel - about fairies nonetheless. First let me tell you that this could not be any more different from Jenny Pox, and I was greatly impressed. This is plain and simply entertaining with an effortless writing style that makes it easy to get absorbed inside this enchanting tale full of music ...more
Courtney Cole
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my daughter's review of Fairy Metal Thunder, book one of the Songs of Magic series.

Hi, I'm Bella and this is my review of Fairy Metal Thunder by JL Bryan. My favorite thing about this book is that nothing in it made me sad. I really hate it when books make me cry. This book is happy- it’s got fairies, goblins a dragon, a unicorn named Buttercup and a teenage rock band. I ended up really loving the book- so much that I changed my Halloween costume so that I could be a Rock Star Fairy.

Fa
Mimi Valentine
Oh, WOW! When I started reading this book, someone should have told me it was going to be this good because then I would've started it earlier. I just couldn't put it down!

Fairy Metal Thunder revolves around your average teenage garage band who — by some inadvertent fluke — manage to get their hands on magical fairy instruments that draw humans like moths to a flame. But of course, the fairies (especially Queen Mab) will do anything to get them back.

Characters are always important for me in a g
Aeicha
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fierce fairies, rocking music, magical instruments, complicated romance, badass unicorns, and one grumpy goblin…Fairy Metal Thunder has all this and more!

The Assorted Zebras is made up of Jason, Erin, Mitch, and Dred, four teenagers who are passionate about their music. Unfortunately no one else seems to be. They have no fans, no gigs, and possibly no future as a band…until Jason chases a goblin into the magical world of Faerie and steals four magical instruments. With these magical instruments
eileen
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

JL Bryan has managed to take two things I am absolutely in love with and put them together into one awesome book: fairies and music. The fairies because the Iron Fey is my favorite series ever, and the villans in Fairy Metal Thunder were fey, and the main characters in the Iron Fey were fey. Music because, well, I technically am a budding musician. If you put that into a book full of action, adventure, and creativity, then you
Jenni Arndt
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-ebook
You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads

I won this book in a flash giveaway on Xpresso Reads and started it immediately. I didn't read the synopsis, I did not pass go, I did not collect $200, and am I ever happy I jumped into it blind. I admit, if I read the synopsis, I probably wouldn't have picked it up, thinking the fantastical aspect would be a bit too much for me but boy was I ever pleasantly surprised with Fairy Metal Thunder! This book reminded me so much of my favourite movie as
Eve
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairy Metal Thunder by J.L. Bryan is a fun and light young adult novel that impressed me in several ways.

Prior to this one, I had read a novel in the same genre, also dealing with fairies that frankly irritated me because the teen characters were annoying and had conversations that contributed very little to the story and did not sound real (in fact, I wanted to tear my hair out). Bryan's teen characters felt very authentic to me; the dialogue sounded real, the characters were three-dimensional,
Kelly
When I was approached about reviewing this book I jumped on it because I was ridiculously impressed with Jenny Pox and I wanted to see what J.L. Bryan came up with next. I'm pleased as punch to say that he didn't disappoint. While younger in tone than The Paranormals, this book is both charming and sweetly awkward as Jason and his bandmates navigate the treacherous waters of fame and potential love.

I loved the irreverence of the creatures of the Fairy realm. From the curmudgeon-y old elf who agr
Rhiannon Frater
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I will admit that I put off reading this book for ages. I really loved J.L. Bryan's JENNY POX's horror trilogy and his science fiction novel, HELIX, but I just wasn't sure if I wanted to read his foray into YA.

I wish I hadn't put off reading this book for so long.

Not only can J.L. Bryan write kick ass horror and science fiction, he can write young adult fiction as well.

I'm not going to rehash the plot or anything like that. It's a very simplistic plot, but it's the execution that makes it so mu
Ginger
Cute start to a series.
Jason chases a Goblin into the world of faery. He obviously has never read anything about the Fae or he never would have tried stealing from them, let alone magical instruments.
Now they are being hunted but they really only start to find out how serious it is at the end of the book.

The characters are cute. You have the geek, the cute girl, the angry girl and the cocky friend. Standard ingredients.
The parents were too cleche for me. I like some orriginality to my side ch
Melissa
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this foray into faerie. The theme mixed with music really suited me and I feel this is easy enough for the MG crowd as well.

The characters were well formed and they did seem like real teens to me. I also enjoyed the fae and felt that they were just strange enough to be different but simular to connect. I also have to mention the unicorns. Aw so sweet and deadly! Makes me want to meet one. :) I also should mention the world created here. Both the human and magical worlds are qui
Ciara1973
I enjoyed this book very much, even though it is aimed at younger readers(twelve and older).
It was well written and I enjoyed the fast paced plot. I also liked the POV swapping, although it is mostly told in Jason's POV. This way you can see what damage the theft did to the real owners of the instruments, I really felt sorry for them.
There is no real romance, but this book is so action packed and full of drama there is no need for it. I wish more authors would take this as an example.
The Professor
Interesting read, but if you have even a little bit of a moral compass you won't be liking the protagonist and his friends very much by the end of the book.
Annabelle
****FINAL RATING: 4.30 STARS****

CATCHALL
I loved this book. I mean, I absolutely adored this book beyond any shadow of doubt. It had awesome characters, a beautifully built Faerie, and an original plot that not only held but captivated my interest. I heard amazing things about it even before I read it and was not disappointed. I was drawn into everything about it and was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved it. And no matter what my boyfriend says, he loved it too.

THE HERO
JASON
I love the
Denise
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2018
Chasing a goblin he caught stealing from his parents' house, teenager Jason unwittingly stumbles into Faerie. On his way out, he swipes a few instruments which when he and his garage band try them out turn their music irresistible and their band into an underground success - while unleashing powerful magic of the destructive kind. Meanwhile, the fairy queen has dispatched hunters to retrieve the stolen instruments, if necessary by force.

Quirky, imaginative fun, but Jason and his friends are a bu
Nanksy
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I wanted to like this but the characters were stupid. I don't mean that the writer wrote badly. It was well written but she created characters who simply were too unaware of the reality of what they were experiencing to be believable. I mean who thinks it is OK to play an instrument that destroys a whole house when you play it? No one would ever do it a second time no matter how much they want to be famous or impress a girl.
It just was beyond belief.
Margo James
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wicked magic instruments lead a young band to find their sound. To bad the fairies are after them because the instruments are stolen. Even after being warned of the terrible dangers that await, the teenagers refuse to return them. A clean and exciting story of what happens when Man and Fairy collide.
Rita Barbosa
It was kind of awkward the idea itself. I liked the way the book was written though.
Ashley - The Bookish Brunette
I can’t begin to convey how impressed I was by Fairy Metal Thunder, it was a light, totally cheery and FUN read! J.L. Bryan manages to be beautifully descriptive, without being overly wordy. From fairy wings to fairy dwellings, auditions in the city, dwarf merchants and angry goblins- I was totally overcome by word pictures!!

The night Jason has to skip band practice again to watch his little sister Katie, when he discovers a little green man (GOBLIN!!!) stealing his mother’s ruby earrings! Jason
Kristi-The Book Faery
Fairy Metal Thunder by J.L. Bryan is a One-Sit-Read! Even if I wasn’t a lover of all things Fae, Mr. Bryan would have still captivated me with his dazzling tale of what can happen if you sneak into the world of the Fae and leave with enchanted objects.

The main character, Jason, plays in a garage band named the Assorted Zebras with his pals Mitch, Dred and the girl he secretly yearns for, Erin. They’re good but not good enough to get any gigs. One night Jason is awakened by his younger sister, Ka
Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter)
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This review was originally posted at Pages of Forbidden Love

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed JL Bryan’s first book in his Jenny Pox series so I was really excited to try something a bit different from him. I would certainly say that with Fairy Metal Thunder Bryan gives you a different side of his writing, something a little bit lighter than the dark world of the Jenny Pox series.

Fairy Metal Thunder opens up as a nice, smooth going contemporary story about a boy, Jason, who is doing what any teenage guy wo
Anubha
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairy Metal Thunder Read-Along & Scavenger Hunt: Week Four July 27th: Chapters 21-27 Jen of In the Closet With a Bibliophile visit here: http://intheclosetbibliophile.blogspo...

1. Grizelmore the Goblin has some really weird cravings and eating habits. Tell us about some of your weird eating habits. Bonus point if you can show me a picure!

WEIRD eating habits... umm... For my friends my craze for food especially for my favorites is weird there many things that i like but they don't... and my
Isalys
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, ya, ebook, indie
Did you know that fairies are bringers of good luck and mischief? They are and I'll explain why in just a moment.

As it turns out, J.L. Bryan is not only good at writing dark and edgy, but he can also write fun stories that border on downright adorable. Fairy Metal Thunder was the latter! It's the story of a guy who rockets to fame, right along with his band mates when he discovers absconds with some magical instruments that turn their music into an experience.

Jason, our main character is the gui
Mimi
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason plays guitar in a teenage garage band called the Assorted Zebras, but they have no fans, no gigs, and they’re going nowhere. Even worse, Jason has a crush on the lead singer, but she already has a near perfect boyfriend.

Then Jason steals instruments from the fairy world, and soon the band is enchanting crowds, but the new gear is brimming with dangerous and destructive magic. The band struggles to gain control of their instruments and avoid supernatural bounty hunters sent by Queen Mab of
Amy Fournier
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this book on my TBR list for a while, I even bought the first book for my nook last year and still never got around to it. Then a few awesome blogs decided to get together and host a read-along for it and I knew it was the perfect time to fit this in. I am so glad that I did. This was a fun and entertaining book. I loved the characters, I loved the idea of the fairy instruments and that they had magical powers even in the human world. I also enjoyed the POV switches so you really get a fee ...more
Shawna LeAnn
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This and other reviews can be found at: Dreaming In The Pages

----------------------------------------------------

As a huge fan of the Jenny Pox trilogy I couldn’t wait to read the first book in J.L. Bryan’s newest series. Though it is aimed at a younger audience than the Jenny Pox trilogy was, I loved it no less. One thing I that caught my eye [or ear] the most was the huge aspect the music played in this story. It was incredible to see what a little fairy magic could do to a group of kids. This
I became a huge fan of J.L. Bryan's work after reading his horror romance, Jenny Pox. His writing style and plots were very unique without being completely out in left field. I was interested to see what else he could come up with so I agreed to read the first in his Songs of Magic series for young adults. What I found was a highly entertaining story that was about as far from the dark, black humor of Jenny Pox as possible.

I won't go too much into the summary because I don't think I could do it
Heather
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In JL Bryan's new series, he introduces you to a new young adult series (and it is truly an all ages read) where fairies, goblins, elves, and ferocious unicorns are just a few of the mythical folk that are confined to their own world since man has an overabundance of iron in the surface world.

Jason is the guitar player in a garage band called the Assorted Zebras. While they are pretty good, they can't get any gigs because they're teenagers and from a small town in the Midwest. He winds up follo
Rebecca
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am so angry right now. Would you like to know why? It’s because I loved Fairy Metal Thunder! Now I have to wait until December to read more of the story (That’s when Fairy Blues comes out). In case you didn’t know this, I hate waiting. Fairy Metal Thunder took me back to my childhood when I had great dreams of marrying a certain goblin king, yep I had big plans for David Bowie and I. Childhood dreams aside, Fairy Metal Thunder has the same feel that the movie Labyrinth has, this wondrous fanta ...more
J.J. Bonds
Fairy Metal Thunder was unlike anything else I’ve read. It was light, fun and refreshing! I’ll be honest, I had really high hopes for this book going in. I’m a big fan of JL Bryan’s The Paranormals series so I was sure that Fairy Metal Thunder would be a great read. It may have fallen a little short of my expectations, but it was a well constructed story and I’m curious to see where the Assorted Zebras go next. Will I be reading more? Definitely.

So what did I like?

The narration: FMT is told prim
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Shift (The Protector, #2)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • Nordic Fairies, Part 1: Nordic Fairies
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Bridger (Bridger, #1)
  • A Clockwork Fairytale
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Beyond (Afterlife,#1)
  • Dark Revelation
  • Five (Elemental Enmity, #1)
  • Become (Desolation, #1)
  • The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Legacy (The Outliers #2)
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Gasparilla's Treasure
  • Heaven High (East Lake Series #1)
J.L. Bryan studied English literature at the University of Georgia and at Oxford, with a focus on English Renaissance and Romantic literature. He also studied screenwriting at UCLA. He lives in the metro Atlanta sprawl with his wife Christina, where he spends most of his day serving the toddler and animal community inside his house. He is the author of the Paranormals series and the Songs of Magic ...more

Songs of Magic (6 books)
  • Fairy Blues (Songs of Magic, #2)
  • Fairystruck (Songs of Magic, #3)
  • Fairyland (Songs of Magic, #4)
  • Fairyvision (Songs of Magic, #5)
  • Fairy Luck (Songs of Magic #6)
“You've been dating him since you were a freshman,' Jason said. 'Nobody else ever gets a chance.'
'Right, cause so many guys are lining up at my door.'
'I'm trying to,' he said.”
5 likes
“You took me for a date at the zoo,
said my love left something to prove,
so I did all I knew to do,
I stole a fat rhinoceros for you!

Stolen rhino, in my car,
Stolen rhino, now love me more
Stolen rhino, I did it for you,
Stolen rhino, don't make me steal two!”
1 likes