Start by marking “Alma Verde: Chamanismo botanico para la sanacion espiritual” as Want to Read:
Alma Verde: Chamanismo botanico para la sanacion espiritual

Alma Verde: Chamanismo botanico para la sanacion espiritual

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
This extraordinary book explores the ancient tradition of healing through the Contaplus ritu plants. The author discovered that this is the active ingredient in the medicine of indigenous cultures worldwide. To communicate with the spirit of a plant, the shaman asks you to heal your patient. In these pages, Eliot Cowan not only describes the shamanism Botanical Garden but ...more
Published October 30th 2010 by Granite Publishing (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Alma Verde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alma Verde

Melinda
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic introduction to the world of plant spirits and healing. Elliot's candid and straight forward style is pleasant and informative. His deep sense of reverence, humility and wisdom easily draw the reader into this world of healing and magic without a whole lot of flake or bullshit. This book was recommended through the reading list of a Shaman that I work with. Elliot also says some really important things about contemporary masculinity (and the inherent masculinity within each o ...more
Giovanna
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic read! I've had burning questions in my heart for many of my years of herbal studies and this book essentially answered every single one! I asked for a teacher, and it came in the form of a book. Who knew?!

One of the many things that I am taking away from this book is that when it comes to plant spirit medicine, there are no hard and fast rules about how to go about communicating with the spirits, but rather to just be with the plants and ask them what to do.

Eliot Cowan also
Ronni
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Exquisite. Just what I needed to hear at the moment. Beautiful stories and a beautiful connection to the world of plants. Absolutely joyous!
My edition had a different cover, and was apparently a second edition.
Ron Campbell
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book in that it goes farther into the consciousness or the SPIRIT of the Plant Kingdom. Where "Secret Life of Plants" explores the level of consciousness of Plants Eliot Cowan goes farther and works with the SPIRIT of the Plants.

The author in his healing work will call upon on Spirit of the Plant to heal his clients. His clients are not to use any physical part of the plant in their healing. I find the author's work as a very important component to understanding that e
Christine
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly, I enjoyed this book for it's deep message about the spirit of plants and how they/we understand their help and the possibilities of what their gifts are to us. It's a bit far out there but very, very interesting. When Eliot talks about the different planes in his visions/dreams it reminds me greatly of the Eckankar religion... of many heavens. Quantum physicists are just now exploring different dimensions in a way that makes the concept much more thoughtful and potentially possible... so ...more
Melanie
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a long time. It's not fiction but it reads like a story, and I could hardly put it down. I learned so much about the 5 elements among other things. The author has developed a relationship with plants that is shamanic, and is able to enlist the help of the spirits of plants to help people, and the experiences he has with them and his patients is just incredible. I want to learn. Also, right after reading it I had quite an interesting dream that I felt to be comi ...more
Michele
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eliot is an excellent writer and really opens your mind to a more naturalistic way of being with nature. Nature is always willing to share with us, unfortunately we tend to become so focused on a human level and miss all the wonder and beauty that our spirits need to stay healthy. Excellent for anyone interested in reconnecting, not only for those interested in healing work.
Kim Flewelling
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book as a gift this past spring...Loved everything about the message since most of my time now is spent in, around, and among my gardens barefoot. A beautiful and powerful book to reflect upon while lying in a hammock listening to the whisper and rustle of dancing poplars from bay winds ~ Kim
Julene
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: herbalists, seekers
Shelves: spiritual
This is one of the most basic spiritual books about herbal medicine. Eliot Cowan came to his knowledge of words by the way of Shamanism and each chapter is a part of his journey. He poses questions to explore each element and tells his story. His process of becoming an herbalist through dreaming and discovery. Powerful.
jacqs
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent all around. Cowan is grounded and unassuming, has had interesting experiences, and has interesting things to say about spirit possessions and healing with plant spirits. The book is fairly short and is a quick read.
Rah~ri
Oct 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chenoa, Nate : ) and nature lovers all!
Read this a long time ago it seems. When it was first out in print. know I really was happy to see a book dealing with plants on that level. Think anyone that loves working with the earth, or gardening... any tree hugger would love it!
Meredith
Interesting read. Didn't go into the detail of using plant spririt medicine as much as I thought but it was a good read none-the-less. Just another source showing how interconnected we are to everyone and everything on earth.
Hope
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really getting a lot out of this one so far. I like it!
Starlight
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: herbalists, medical intuitives, light workers, conservationists
Recommended to Starlight by: Self Heal School
A beautiful and magical approach to herbal medicine where one honors the spirit of the plant. So inspiring and so passionately written. I'm off to commune with some mugwort!
Kim
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a new way of working with plant spirits for me. What a great book and such a simple healing concept.
Cheryl Wolf
Not well written.
Lizzy
Oct 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not the most beautiful writing in the world, but lots of great information inside of personal and sometimes humorous accounts.
nicole
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing book that is easy to follow-even for new comers
Lisa
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind blowing. I have a whole new appreciation for plants and their wisdom.
Chris
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks that plants are really ALIVE and have something valuable to offer us besides just looking pretty.
Laurie
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book has changed my way of seeing the plant world. it is an eye opening read. I am currently reading it for the second time.
Kecia
Jan 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible.
Tiffany
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: herbs
Well written, easily comprehensible five phase Chinese medical theory cum plant shamanism. You will like the thoughoutness and the clarity of this man. He also seems tremendously genuine.
Luce Cronin
If you are interested in shamanic wisdom re plants, this is the most practical and informative book I have read on the topic. One to keep and study for many years.
Woody Debris
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's just that easy
Shannon
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unspeakably wonderful book.
Niklas Spitz
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Down to earth shamanic discourse on the plant kingdom. The author is an erudite acupuncturist and herb/medicine man with a good channel on things green and leafy!
Sasha
Suzy Sikora
Sep 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul
  • Growing, Older: A Chronicle of Death, Life, and Vegetables
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • Plant Spirit Healing: A Guide to Working with Plant Consciousness
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun: A Mayan Tale of Ecstasy, Time, and Finding One's True Form
  • A Modern Herbal
  • Witchcraft Medicine: Healing Arts, Shamanic Practices, and Forbidden Plants
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Behaving as If the God in All Life Mattered
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • The Way of Herbs
  • The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
Eliot Cowan is the author of Plant Spirit Medicine, and a shaman in the Huichol tradition. He is the founder of the Plant Spirit Medicine Seminary and the Blue Deer Center. As a provider at the Blue Deer Center, Eliot offers Plant Spirit Medicine practitioner training courses, continuing education for PSM practitioners, healing camps based on traditional Huichol healing, and animal totem courses.

E
More about Eliot Cowan...