Start by marking “The Most Expensive Game in Town: The Rising Cost of Youth Sports and the Toll on Today's Families” as Want to Read:

A look at how commercialization has transformed youth sports from fun into a heavily commercialized and profitable venture

Examining the youth sports economy from many sides—the major corporations, the small entrepreneurs, the coaches, the parents, and, of course, the kids—Hyman probes the reasons for rapid changes in what gets bought and sold in this lucrative marketpla
Published March 20th 2012 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Expensive Game in Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Expensive Game in Town

Start your review of The Most Expensive Game in Town: The Rising Cost of Youth Sports and the Toll on Today's Families
Christina Dudley
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Skimmed this one about the commercialization of youth sports. Hyman is definitely onto something. I added up what we spend on the kids' swimming, we are rt in there with the white, middle-class avg. Yikes!

I would have liked to hear more about the effect on kids of the from-birth pressure and parents' expectations.
Amanda Maregente
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The commercialization of youth sports goes from basic economic concepts to the bizarre when we think about why we buy specific items to enhance our child’s ability to play a sport. This book was a great overview of how, what, when, and why we suspend our better judgement, open our pocketbook, and commit to insane training schedules to support child athletes. Whether those athletes are toddlers or teens.
Kim Earll
So very poignant to see how youth sports across the board has taken up all discretionary income of so many families. My kid loves sports...he'd rather play on a club ball team than go to Disney World, which is good because with all the camps & equipment costs we haven't nor probably won't be going to Disney anyway! We MIGHT let him try out for a club team this year because that is what all his friends do & he misses them when they are away every weekend while he stays back and plays city ball. N ...more
Tracy
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Non fiction book about youth sports and everyone who has a hand in making money from the industry--from the sports "camp"s, recruitment assistance, corporate sponsors of high school sports (especially the events developed and promoted by ESPN), etc. It seems that everyone wants their kid to play at a high level, but the end-game isn't there because so few athletes ever obtain scholarships and even so, they often are too small to cover full tuition not to mention the room/board/books/travel.

Ther
Tara Brabazon
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was expecting more. This book is fine with a clear argument: the commercialization of children's sport is damaging to children, families and sporting cultures. That argument could have been expressed in three paragraphs. That argument could have been fleshed out and problematized in evocative and powerful ways. Instead, Mark Hyman has talked with a few people, visited a few websites but not researched physical cultural studies or movement cultures.

If readers want a simple and journalistic guid
Denise
Nothing I hadn't heard or suspected, but interesting to read it altogether. I was very disappointed to not see any examples of families involved in sports in healthier ways. Almost every parent quoted seemed frustrated by the time and money they put in, but resigned themselves to what they felt was inevitable. I am not willing to accept that for our family and will be entering youth sports warily. I also agree with another review that this was written very much like a series of articles rather t ...more
Barbara
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it

There were really no surprises here and aggressive marketing to children is hardly limited to youth sports. We live in a culture in which too many believe that achievement and success can be bought rather than earned through hard work. I wish the author would have explored that angle further because in the end it's parents who choose how they spend their money, not the corporations.
Notalice
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting and important topic. The book reads like a series of magazine articles stretched to book length.
Pam
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very interesting read. Some things that adults do in the name of serving children is shocking!
Wendy
Jun 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy reading this nor did I find Mark Hyman's research scientific. I was left with lots of questions, but maybe that is his style?
Lisa
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Examines the price of youth sports on young athletes, their parents and their parents' wallets. Well-written and informative.
Loren T. Anderson

• Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War
  • Success Is the Only Option: The Art of Coaching Extreme Talent
  • The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great
  • Dare to Lead
  • King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
  • Samurai!
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong
  • Deception: The Rise and Final Fall
  • The Grammarians
  • The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2)

Filmmaking: Co-director, “The Great China Baseball Hunt," a documentary in production on the race to develop the first big-leaguer from Mainland China.
www.chinabaseballfilm.com

Writing: Three books on the adult-managed world of youth sports and articles for the Washington Post, New York Times, BusinessWeek and Sports Illustrated. In 2017, Principal Investigator for Aspen Institute Project Play Ini