Start by marking “The Transplanted Gardener” as Want to Read:
The Transplanted Gardener

The Transplanted Gardener

From the question of why England is so wet - or, in the view of a dripping American, seems to be - to an account of the great Charles Darwin's favorite obsession (it was earthworms), The Transplanted Gardener contains a sparkling set of essays exploring the history, practice, and eccentricities of gardening in "the world's greatest potting shed," England. (6 X 9, 240 pages ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by The Lyons Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Transplanted Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transplanted Gardener

Start your review of The Transplanted Gardener
Louise
Another selection of highly readable garden essays, ending on a melancholic note (lost gardens).
I am on page 29 of 238. This is one the most delightful, light-hearted, yet insightful and informative reads I have come across. Charles Elliott portrays the perfect personality to be the observer and participator, outsider as well as insider to world of British gardening and culture.

Expecting something entirely different when picking this book up from the shelf of the Gardening section at my local Bargain Books I read the inside front leaf of the dust cover and decided it is a must-buy.

Bill Bry
Joan Mitchell
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book- lots of gardening history.
^
Feb 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People I dislike
My acquisition of this this book (second-hand, of course) was largely influenced by the recommendations published on the back cover: “One of the most delightful books of any kind I have read all year” (Bill Bryson) and, “…a lively pen and detached, quizzical and revealing eye … I enjoyed every word.”

Therein lay my error. All too soon I discovered that the transplant bears no comparison to the wonderful “The 3,000 Mile Garden” by Leslie Land and Roger Phillips.

Indeed, by the time I had slogged th
Camilla
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I bought my copy for $1 at the Denmark public library book sale, on the strength of the cover blurb from Bill Bryson: "One of the most delightful books of any kind I have read all year". I like Bill Bryson a lot, so I figured I was onto a winner. Also, I like gardening myself, so am always happy to hear about other people's garden stories.

The book is a collection of essays, arranged under three sections: Fresh Ground (about the author's own garden), Gardeners and Other Obsess
Kate
"From the question of why England is so wet -- or, in the view of a dripping American, seems to be -- to an account of the great Charles Darwin's favorite obsession (it was earthworms), The Transplanted Gardener contains a sparkling set of essays exploring the history, practice, and eccentricities of gardening in 'the world's greatest potting shed.' England."
~~back cover

Much to my surprise, I find that I didn't know much about English gardens and English gardening history. I know more now that I
Sandy D.
Non-ficture collection of essays orginally published in Horticulture magazine. They're great if you like reading about gardening and history and the differences between the US and Great Britain.

Let's see, some of the highlights include an examination of the ways to combat moles (stink bombs are popular in the UK), formal vs. 'natural' garden plans, garden theft, and how to figure out the age of a hedge.
Ruanne
May 16, 2011
Cliona
Mar 16, 2011
Lindsey
His other books I was more into. I love his on gardening but not a gardener take on plant life.
Pam
Shanna
Sep 07, 2017
Maureen
Oct 23, 2017

• Through a Glass, Darkly (Commissario Brunetti, #15)
  • The Rose Rent (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #13)
  • Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
  • The Girl of His Dreams (Commissario Brunetti, #17)
  • The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #14)
  • East of Eden
  • Cold as Ice (The Country Club Murders #6)
  • The Raven in the Foregate (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #12)
  • Blood from a Stone (Commissario Brunetti, #14)
  • An Excellent Mystery (The Cadfael Chronicles, #11)
  • Doctored Evidence (Commissario Brunetti, #13)
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name

News & Interviews