Start by marking “The Djinn” as Want to Read:
The Djinn

The Djinn

This is a twisted story of a man who collected antiquities revolving around Arabian magical items. He got in his collection a jar that belonged to Ali Bahba which held in it the worst Djinn ever. Really a wonderful story very well written, i read it in one sitting cover to cover.
Published May 1977 by Pinnacle Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Djinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Djinn

Start your review of The Djinn
Thomas Strömquist
√(2GM/R) is the escape velocity formula (no, I didn't remember, I just looked it up) and substituting earth values will give you about 11.2 km/s. That's how much you need to accelerate your disbelief to when you tackle a Graham Masterton (because suspension does not cover it - you need to have that weightlessness that comes with space flight). When that's done, get ready to ignore a very stale-feeling view on women or two. Done? Ok, now you can enjoy a bit of pulp horror.

The Djinn is not the fi
Peter
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
If you really want to know an exciting different version of Ali Bahbah and the 40 thieves this is the novel you were waiting for! Absolute page turning novel on a djinn in a bottle. Will the evil be released or is there a possibility to stop it? I extremely liked the historical research the author did on those old arabic lores and legends. Clear recommendation!
Cameron Roubique
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I flew through another Graham Masterton, I think this was my second this week. I love how short and sweet his books are, and how easily they flow. Although I admit that I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to horror novels. Nothing keeps my interest and attention better than a good old fashioned scary book.

By the way, does anyone else besides me picture a slightly younger Jack Klugman as Harry Erskine?

To be honest I didn't like The Djinn as much as The Manitou. It took a lot longer to get to
Nicholas Gray
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Where to begin.
Well lets start with the fact Erskine is a character! At times he made me laugh even when the situation in the book was tense.
I loved the characters and the story and the twists were magnificent!
I can't decide if I liked this book more than The Manitou or not, but I must say I will continue reading Graham Masterton, that is for sure!
Overall, Five Star book!
Quentin Wallace
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This turned out to be a good read in the "Paperbacks from Hell" type genre. So we find out the tale of Ali Baba and the 40 thieves didn't happen exactly like the story. Instead, Ali Baba was a magician and the 40 thieves where really the 40 forms his genie (or Djinn) could use to kill.

Now we come to modern times and the jar containing the evil Djinn is in the hands of a private collector. And it wants out.

The main character in the story, Harry Erskine, reminds me a lot of Kolchak the Night Stal
Plum-crazy
I loved it but then again was there ever the slightest doubt that I wouldn't? - it was a re-read after all! :o) I'd forgotten this was a Harry Erskine tale, gonna have to dig the rest of the series out now....
Alexander Draganov
Worthy sequel of The Manitou. The final chapter is horrifying.
More detailed review in Bulgarian here:
Donovan
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
It's the return of Harry Erskine, first seen in The Manitou. This time Harry's tangling with The Djinn, an Arabian supernatural entity (from which we get the English word "genie"). But this is no lantern-bound wish-granting jokester; it has 40 monstrous manifestations and they're all, well, fatal for humans. At 200 pages, you can read it in one night enjoying pulp horror goodness.

Plot ***Spoilers***
It begins with the funeral of Harry's godfather, Max Greaves, who committed a horrendous, self-mut
Icarus Akamatsu
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you pick up a Masterton novel, you really should know that all bets are off!!
The Djinn is a tidy little story and Masterton uses his skills to manipulate your imagination into seeing things a hundred times worse than he could ever describe (Although he is pretty damn good at it!) he just kind of, nudges (Perhaps I mean violently shoves?) you in the right direction :0)
This was far better than the last one of his books I read 'A Mile Before Morning / Fireflash 5' which suffered mostly from a
Sara
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Another fantastic Graham Masterton book, he really knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat with suspense.
Mark Woods
This sequel to The Manitou sees us once again following the exploits of clairvoyant, Harry Erskine, but this time as he takes on an evil Djinn.
Attending the funeral of his godfather, Harry learns of his obsession with all things middle-eastern that may well have contributed to his death.
More specifically, an ancient jar supposed to have once belonged to Ali Babah and that now holds an evil genie prisoner within.
Determined to learn the truth behind his godfather’s death, Harry starts to investiga
Chris Fielding
The Djinn seems to be meant to be an entertaining, occasionally surprising, quick read, and it succeeds at that remarkable well. It has Harry Erskine from the Manitou, but it seems to be a Harry Erskine that has yet to experience the coming of an ancient shaman. The novel was well written, with simple characters and a fast moving, intelligent plot, but it didn't delve much into its subject matter, which would have made it a more remarkable book.
Gordon
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, horror
As with most of Masterton's novels, The Djinn is like reading an entertaining B horror movie. The characters lack depth, but the story moves at full speed and gives the reader absurdly horrific descriptions. While the premise is about a spirit being trapped within a jar, it's really just another haunted house story as the majority of the story takes place at an old house and the entity in the jar is doing its best to destroy what's left of a family. Unlike most of Masterton's novels, this ends w ...more
Amy Webster-Bo
Just ok could have been better, but the time it was written, it is like the others of that era
Michael Albanese
I have to be honest, I didn't like it. I felt that the novel just coasted and coasted and coasted. I found the resolution dull.
Not to be crude, but it reminded me of being constipated. You struggle and fight and once you are done, you are happy for being done with it.
Belle Wood
A quick, decent read. I read the recent edition put out by Telos with new illustrations. If you can get past the sexism (it was put out in '77, not long after Masterton joined Penthouse as an editor) it bobs along nicely until the end when all the women die and all the men survive. Whatever. The most striking thing about this book is that it was by the same guy who had a massive hit with The Manitou, another creature feature that was turned into a B-film with Tony Curtis. THe best thing about it ...more
Anna  Coven
more clunky dialogue and witless banter ('you're a fortune teller? could you read my palm? i'd rather read your feet, baby' - whatever that means) but at least this time i didn't have to suffer through any of masterton's awful 'reader's letters' sex scenes.

some masterton fans consider this book one of his best but i can't think why. it's not in the same league as the pariah, mirror or tengu. it's not one of his worst either, it just feels like he's going through the motions. it's got a first-dr
Donna Alexander
I thought I remembered reading this book as a teenager, but on rereading I don't know if I would have stuck with it as long as you had to for any action. I was sure I remembered the djinn turning an unfortunate person inside out. Well I must have been mistaken as this did not happen. In any case I found the characters very dated and dull. Given that the book was written in the late 70's, I will forgive them their old fashioned habits.
I have never reread a book before and this only makes me feel
PsypherPunk
Remember the days of VHS? When, prior to watching your selected film, you had to sit through an unpredictably lengthy series of trailers for all manner of crappy films? I loved that. I have immensely fond memories of cheap, schlocky horror films all seemingly narrated by the same guttural voice (too few of which I actually managed to see). All cheap thrills and even cheaper effects, and all made delightfully entertaining in a way seemingly forgotten.

That’s what I’m reminded of while reading this
Mark Hodder
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Featuring Harry Erskine, the likeable protagonist from THE MANITOU (the events of which, oddly, aren’t mentioned), this one starts well but in the second half the style of writing deteriorates quite considerably. There’s a lot of graphic adult content but at its core the plot is juvenile and very silly, with the characters either not doing what they should (run!) or suddenly making the right move unprompted by any new information or circumstance. It’s fun and fast-paced—and there’s one very memo ...more
Barbra
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another of Masterton's early horror books. It was a good, fast read but not one of his better ones. Readable but not a must read.

Back Cover Blurb:
It began with a curious investigation of an ancient Arabian jar and the strange legends of sorcery it symbolised. The legend and logic demand that the jar be opened - the secret of the djinn must be exposed to the light of reality.
Jason
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a creepy little book

This was an awesome book. It was pretty scary with a minimum of violence. Well worth the read . I hope that I can continue to find these classics from Graham Masterton. I was fully creeped out , I could not put the book down. I highly recommend this book to all fan's of modern horror!!!!
Kasia
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary. I don't think I'd like it anymore but when I first read it back in highschool all the blood and gore were good.
Gerd
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read both this German version and the original version, from the German translation there's a page missing, probably because it was deemed to gory at the time.
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, gory, fast and furious vintage Masterton. I have a different edition, but look at this great cover.
Mia
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Halloween today. A good time to note that this book scared the heck out of me when I was a teenager.
Chichi
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Deliciously morbid and freaky! Loved!!
Chip
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A fun quick novel, not really a must read but enjoyable.

Harry Erskine is the protagonist, but that is the only real link to The Manitou series.
Lostaccount
A fast read. Old school horror with a bit of old-fashioned male chauvinism thrown in. Felt a bit like a short story spun out to novel length. Not as a good as The Manitou, which it reminded me of.
John Henery
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Kind of a pseudo sequel to the manitou.

• Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct, #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct, #7)
  • Death Instinct
  • Faerie Tale
  • The Sentinel
  • Doctor Orient (Doctor Orient, #1)
  • Creed
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (The Dark Tower, #0.5)
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
  • When Darkness Loves Us
  • The Cats
  • The Rats (Rats, #1)
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • I Could Pee On This: And Other Poems By Cats
  • Normal (Normal, #1-4)
  • Dead White
  • The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan, #3)
  • Food Of The Gods
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more