Start by marking “Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know” as Want to Read:
Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know

Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know

Unleash your leadership potential.

No matter who you are, you can lead—and lead well.

That is the message New York Times bestselling author John C. Maxwell gives in this power-packed guidebook: Leadership 101. Here the consummate leader offers a succinct and inspiring framework for enhancing the leadership abilities you already possess. Learn how to:

Follow your vision and br
Published September 8th 2002 by HarperCollins Leadership (first published 1994)

Nicole Marble
May 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Be disciplined; set good priorities;delegate jobs; work hard; keep learning an be trustworthy.
Now you don't have to read this boring book.
Nick
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid little book hitting the main ideas of The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. But this wasn't just a condensed version. Maxwell delievers some new thoughts here, as well. It is good and only takes about an hour to read.
Beth Peninger
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really like the 101 series of Maxwell's. They are easy reads and you get the meat of what his point is. They are practical, easy to read and understand, and realistic to apply.
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-spirit
John C. Maxwell is a leader in business books. He has written numerous books on business, leaderships, relationships, attitude, and management. If you are delving into a topic either by necessity or for love of learning, it is worthwhile to look into the most prominent figures in the field. At the time I came across Maxwell’s books, I was deep into developing my leadership and management skills, and hence the two glimpses into the Maxwell perspective.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

Trust as
Tyler
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
This was the first book I have ever read by John C. Maxwell and I really enjoyed it! This little book is only about 100 pages long and I read it in one sitting, but it took several hours because on almost every page I had to pause and take notes on various principles and insights that he taught that I thought were really very powerful and in some cases profound.

Here are the notes I took, some are quotations or paraphrases from the book and others are just thoughts that came to my mind as I read.
Brian Eshleman
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good thoughts. Nothing revolutionary.
Pamela Sweezy
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read it, put it down for a day, and then read it again. I need more information but this is a nice, general base on which to build.
Lauren Head
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Q-Give one quote from the book that impacted your thought process and describe how.
A-When asked if great leaders are born, John Maxwell answers, “Why of course! I have never known a leader who wasn’t born first.”

Q-Which co-worker would you recommend this book to?
A-I would recommend this book to anybody who is in a leadership role-Department Heads, Leadership Team Members, etc.
Q-Rate this book on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest rating.
A-8-John Maxwell is one of my all-time favorite authors
Feb 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Would-be Pastors of the Great & Spacious Buildings
I didn't like this book too much, because by the time I got a little ways into it, I started REALLY not liking the author, which discredited the advice he was giving. I liked his historical little stories about the startups and leadships of now huge companies, but I didn't like that he also talked briefly about the growth of his Mega-Church with thousands and thousands of followers, like convention-center churches and $7.8 million fundraisers for a new facility. That is nuts, and because of that ...more
Becky
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Surprising quick read that has depth.

Maxwell discusses what Leadership is, and how to influence and become a leader. He focuses on Development, Traits and Impact of a leader, including leaving a legacy. Don't be fooled by the short length.
Maria
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I was hoping it was more motivational. Some of the examples did not go well with the chapters. It felt like this book was just thrown together to meet a deadline. I'll probably re-read it and see how it goes.
Philimon Philsboy
This is book is awesome. so much I have let on being a lead and leading others and still learning!!!
Adam
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whatever you will accomplish is limited by your ability to lead others. It's said that in our life we have influence over ten thousand human beings throughout our lives and since leadership has a multiplying effect it's staggering what legacy a leader could leave behind. 101 will help you improve, conquer and prosper!

Nuggets of Truth

Lead with tomorrow as well as today in mind
Know and do the things that give high returns
When the leader lacks confidence the team lacks commitment
He who thinks
Ruth
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Three things demonstrate how myopic and outdated this book is in its conception of leadership: the fact that of all the people quoted on leadership or described to prove a point about leadership, 57 are men and 2 are women; this quote: "A truly valuable vision must have God in it. Only He knows your full capabilities"; and the fact that he uses baby boomers as an example of "younger people." (This book was published in 2002.)

This little book is a cliché- and buzzword-ridden mess. "To be a succes
Bobsie67
General, and good, leadership advice. As with all such books, the examples don't always epitomize the leadership skill being discussed. Without the stories, any such book on leadership would just be a list of aphorisms. I believe the greatest strength of this book are Maxwell's discussion of leadership in terms of trust (Chapter 5), levels of leadership: position, permission, production, development, personhood (Chapter 8), and the need for leaderships to have a succession plan (Chapter 10). Per ...more
Zakariye Abdirahman
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Well written book , easy to understand as well very short. writer encouraging reads to get acquire leadership skill which he believe it can be taught, he briefly explain how a person can be leaders, importance of leadership skill and levels leadership, if you never read leadership book before this for you .
This is one of my favorite quotes "The higher you want to climb, the more you need leadership. The greater the impact you want to make, the greater your influence needs to be. Whatever you wi
Victor A. Chaungwe Jr
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was only in Grade 11 and i was appointed in the youth leadership at Church,which made me the youngest among the leaders and i was afraid and not sure but this Book really helped me with all the queries i had on Leadership.
With its knowledge and insight i later became JETS Club President and Head Boy the following year.

It definitely is a must read for anyone with the responsibility to lead.
Paul
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have actually read this book a couple of time before because it is a great leadership book to read every now and then. Kind of a get back to basics thing. This is one of the three books I recommend for new leaders to read. The other 2 are Lean In by Cheryl Sandberg and It Worked for Me by Colon Powell. The second book actually has a longer title.
Heidi
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
To be honest, when he said he was going to keep the book short in order to provide the meat of the ideas and not much else, I had far higher expectations than I should have had.
It wasn't Earth shattering information, which sucked, because I am really interested in reading a "hot to" book on ways in which to practice leadership.
Kylea Woodley
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leadership 101 is compact yet full of great guidance for leaders. It’s one of those books that you should keep on your shelf and dust off every now and again. I look forward to exploring other titles by John Maxwell.
Nancy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"A truly valuable vision must have God in it."
A good review of what it means/what is required to be an effective and respected leader. Important traits of a good leader include character, integrity, and putting people and the organization ahead of a personal agenda.
Donovichi
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: john-c-maxwell
Overall good. Some good points and ideas, but as most reviewers have said, was fairly basic. I think it is worth reading. Can't give partial stars...but I would rate a strong 3.5 stars....just wasn't quite enough to give it a 4 ;-)
Mary
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nothing revolutionary. Simple, relevant, concise and compact book. Anyone can take these ideas and apply them to their life. Would be great for a student to read as well! Lots of great info in a short 100 page book.
T'challa
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book you always go back to. Though it is small it is dense with information that will guide you into becoming a leader of integrity and character. I enjoy many books by this author.
Lauren Farrow
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, Sweet, Clear

One of the few books on leadership I have read that didn't make me want to stick a pencil in my eye
Ben Morris
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first quarter of the book was all about telling me why I should read the book. The rest had good points, but you can get most of the information reading the headings, lists, tables, and charts.
Dale Critchley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good abridged version of his longer leadership works, great for a refresher.
Tintswalo Nkuna
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most basic things that are a big deal about leadership that every leader or aspiring leader needs to be aware of and implement in their personal life.
Camille
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Helpful for understanding the world as it has been, not the world as it should be.
Rand Hall
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
101 says it all. Don't expect more. That said, it will be a marvelous first book for an upcoming young leader series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
leadership grid 2 19 Jan 21, 2014 04:43AM

• The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • The Greatest Mystery in the World
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • Courageous Leadership
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
“Look at last week’s schedule. How much of your time did you devote to regular, disciplined activities? Did you do anything to grow and improve yourself professionally? Did you engage in activities promoting good health? Did you dedicate part of your income to savings or investments? If you’ve been putting off those things, telling yourself that you’ll do them later, you may need to work on your self-discipline.” 0 likes