Start by marking “The Girls Club” as Want to Read:
The Girls Club

The Girls Club

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Girls Club is the coming-of-age story of a young, white, working-class woman. Set in the 1970s, the story revolves around Cora Rose as she copes with her emerging sexuality, an illness her sisters refer to as "the dreaded bowel disease," and the conflicts created by the growing disparity between her desires and her Catholic upbringing.

Part one deals with the three sist
Published September 13th 2011 by Bywater Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Girls Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls Club

Elaine Burnes
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
I liked this. It is definitely excellent writing. I don't mean to sound surprised, but there's so much mediocre stuff out there. This has a lot going on and sure made me glad I wasn't aware of my sexuality sooner. This time period was not an easy one to come out into. The relationship among the three sisters was very well done--says someone with no sisters. It made me think of my wife's sisters and my cousins, all have this kind of complicated love/hate vibe going on. I thought the setting, Chic ...more
Pauline Tilbe
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
..."For the record, times are changing. Sooner or later people are going to wake up and being a lesbian won't be a big deal." My favorite line from this book by Sally Bellerose, local author from Northampton, MA. The setting for the story is Chicopee, 1970's. With the angst of relationships that sometimes work and sometimes don't, throw in the mix of trying to understand your own sexuality as a teen....yep, think she's got a winner here! Some parts of the story cross the timeline and can be imag ...more
Bett
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in a long time. The characters are so real and immediate. Three sisters grow up and struggle with family, career, husbands, girlfriends, illness, children, and life in New York State. Funny, touching, and very well-written.
Maria Ciletti
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Bellerose did an excellent job portraying the struggles of coming out in the 70's. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Gail Thomas
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many notches above the typical lesbian coming out story. Solid writing, believable dialogue, fully realized characters, and above all, honest portrayal of working class and motherhood issues.
Michelle Kwasney
Perhaps I shouldn't say this, but being in a writing group with Sally way back when, during the era The Girls Club was still embryonic, I recognized its brilliance even then. I am so delighted to see it in print and gathering the praise it deserves. Congratulations, Sally. You hit all the right notes. And, in a big sister/fellow writer kind of way, I'm am so, so deliriously proud of you.

(BTW, not sure if I should say THIS either, but if you like Sally's realistic fiction, check out my newest, BL
Alena
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, fiction
I feel the rating is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars mainly because I really didn't feel the first person narrative worked very well in the beginning. But the character really grew into her voice, or the other way around.

Four stars because this is a book just the way I like it and would like to see more of in lesfic. Not a romance, thank you very much, just a story about life that includes love, but so much more as well.

Very satisfying read dispite my problems in the beginning.
Tara
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was basically about sisters in the 1970's, and their various dysfunctions. I typically enjoy unwrapping these kinds of stories, relishing the twists as I move through the pages, but this book didn't move me as I had hoped it would. Also, there were errors in the book, which made me wonder if anyone had bothered to edit it. I can't recall ever reading a book with typos before, so this annoyed me.

Pam Britton
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll enjoy this coming of age and coming out story of Cora Rose as she struggles with the meaning of Sisterhood in the seventies. Sexual preference aside, this novel grips with its raw humanity. As the ugly face of homophobia is exposed, the reader is inspired by Cora Rose's courageous efforts to give her life meaning and forge a new life for herself.
Sally Bellerose
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Can you rate your own book? Had to do it to see if I could.
Debbie
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story of sisters finding themselves and figuring out their place in the world. Each so different but family ties are strong and unbreakable. Easy read, one I kept picking up to finish.
Karen
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are so clearly drawn and complex that I missed them after the book was over. A well told story of someone stumbling her way towards coming into her own.
Julia Mcconnell
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A realistic portrait of growing up working class and lesbian during the 1960's.
Mandy