Start by marking “Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours” as Want to Read:
Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours

Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  4,681 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
When Julia Child told Dorie Greenspan, "You write recipes just the way I do," she paid her the ultimate compliment. Julia's praise was echoed by the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times, which referred to Dorie's "wonderfully encouraging voice" and "the sense of a real person who is there to help should you stumble."

Now in a big, personal, and personable book, Dorie ca
Published October 8th 2010 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Around My French Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around My French Table

Leona
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Wow. When I think of French cooking, I always think complex, time consuming and hard to find ingredients. Dorie Greenspan dispels that conception with "Around My French Table..."

The book is filled with wonderful recipes that even the most timid cook wouldn't be afraid to try.

Stacy
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I finally understand why half the foodie world is going nuts over Dorie Greenspan in general, and this cookbook in particular. Named Cookbook of the Year by the IACP this month, Around My French Table is a must-have, a magical combination of tempting photographs, approachable yet sophisticated recipes, and superb writing. Each recipe is accompanied by a delightful anecdote behind how she acquired it and tips on how to prepare it best.

For example, her “Top Secret Chocolate Mousse” recipe relates
Suzanne Barrett
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My beautiful copy of Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table arrived and after looking it over and marking out the recipes I just had to try, I began reading from cover to cover. This is an exquisite book in many ways. First, it’s a lovely hardcover volume, oversized with good quality heavy paper and enough photographs to get the creative juices flowing.

The volume contains more than 300 recipes gleaned from Ms. Greenspan’s own library, from French friends and chefs who have generously shared. T
martha Boyle
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of my cook friends-this is the cookbook you need, even if you don't know it. Do you love Julia Child? French food? Simple recipes? This is your new bible.
Gorgeous to look at and so fun to read--I have a new interest in en papillote cooking-Yes, French cooking can be very healthy! Haven't tried everything in it (yet), but I think I will. Martha and Dorie doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Julie and Julia, but I don't care. I'm in love.
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
I totally bow to The Tipsy Baker's opinion on this one--great recipes, detailed instructions, and comments in the margins that answer your questions before you even ask them. I loved the occasional descriptions of her shopping adventures in France and wished there were more of them.

Since it is a cookbook, and a hefty one, I didn't force myself to read every word. But I did turn every page, read all of the comments in the margins, and skim each recipe to see if I could or couldn't live without co
Cynthia
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are recipes here for every skill level. The instructions are clear with lots of back story in many cases where Greenspan discusses who's recipe it is, why a certain ingredient is included and how it impacts the dish, some in depth vignettes on how to work with a certain food and how to choose your ingredient. She also includes serving and storing tips with all recipes. Best of all are the mouth watering pictures of many of the dishes. I also have Child's "The Way to Cook" which I like but ...more
Karen
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific! I want to make practically every single recipe.
Lynda
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best French cookbooks I have read and used.
Debbie D
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
One of my most prized cookbooks! Easy recipes and none have failed to come out superbly.
Yasmine Alfouzan
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
One of my all-time favorite cookbooks. Made so many recipes from it and all came out great.
Amelia
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Overall, I did like this cookbook. I made six of the recipes and half were awesome.
My notes on each are as follows:
Curried chicken on pg 221. This was fine buy I didn't love it. The flavors just weren't that special. I felt like it needed something.
Chicken Normandy on pg 218. I loved this. New-to-me flavor combo but it was delicious. I served with bread but it wasn't really necessary.
Mushroom Shallot Quiche on pg 162. NOTE: this recipe is sized for a tart pan. If you use an average pie pan, i
DK Simoneau
While my family likes to tease me that I read cookbooks like they are novels, this one just didn't stack up. I really thought it was lacking in photos. Part of the fun about cookbooks is being able to dream about what this lovely food is going to look like. I did think the stories to go along was a plus, but sometimes they just didn't seem to say much. I'm sorry to say, this is one cook book I just didn't read cover to cover.
Ronda  Tutt
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Beautifully Illistrated and Easy to Follow Recipes

Excellent Cook Book to have in your kitchen. Tired of the everyday same old meal, then this is the cook book to have. If you are an American like me who usually cooks something quick from your basic meats chicken, beef, pork, or fish that you have either bought precooked or bought from a fast food joint then you are totally missing out on the fine cooking and taste that you can create from your own kitchen.

This cook book is wonderfully illustrate
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now that I finally had to return this to the library, I'm going to need to buy my own copy. This is a really amazing French cookbook. she breaks the recipes down into easy steps; the food is incredibly creative and approachable; many of the recipes are only one page, and contain ingredients that are easily found here!!!

This really is a great book, and you could use it to cook during the week too - several recipes are 1/2 hour or less. Obviously, this isn't a completely traditional French cookboo
Shoshana
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, cookbooks
[4.5]

This book is so lovely, so classic, so exciting to cook from, although entirely too large for its own good. It was a relief to see that a solid three or four sections out of the 7 or so were meat sections, because I rarely cook meat and so just skipped over them.

I've already made several things - the cheesy brulee, which sounds like it should be strange but is utterly delicious, but needs to be cooked SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER and also hotter than the recipe says, at least in my oven; the Gateau
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Doris Greenspan's cookbooks are always a pleasure, with clear instructions, thoughtful variation ideas, and little anecdotes about recipe origin that adds to the experience. Her baking cookbooks should be staples in every kitchen. Knowing my positive experiences, I was looking forward to this cookbook. It is everything you would want it to be. If you have Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, this feels like a modern selection of recipes from the same kind of France-loving American ...more
fairywine
Words cannot describe how much I adore this cookbook. Reading Around My French Table is like going to your American-expat friend's apartment in one of Paris's more romantic arrondissements and having a cosy chat while preparing food together. It's intimate, oh-so-French yet with an American easygoingness, and really much less intimidating to do than you'd think. The directions are very clear and straightforward, and even the more complicated recipes are very achievable. I make the potage Parment ...more
Leslie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think if I were to purchase a book for "fancy food that isn't fancy to make" it would be this book. I picked it up from the library, and was instantly inspired by some of the unusual-sounding recipes (Vanilla Vegetable Salad, Shrimp-Filled Zucchini Blossoms - now I have something to do with all my zucchini blossoms!). I've made the Marie Helene's Apple Cake, and it was delicious! Dorie Greenspan's love of Paris and France is told in stories throughout the book, and is very charmingly written. ...more
Joelynn
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure that you could call what I am doing with this book reading...exactly. Perusing is a good word. I got this book from the library...oversized with lots of pictures (now required in a cookbook).

Many of the recipes are not simple to make. Some ingredients hard to find, but still, I'll go back through it a couple more times just for the enjoyment of reading about food.

I learned that the french eat radishes with butter and salt. And I tried her recipe for Beggar's Linguini. The sauce is
Marjorie Elwood
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I was just saying to myself the other day that I don't need anymore cookbooks. Turns out I was wrong.

This one has beautiful photographs (although one per recipe would have been even better), and the recipes themselves are *easy*! Honey duck breasts, in 20 minutes, for instance. Greenspan takes classic (or newer) French recipes and makes them do-able, yet still divine. I tried the cheese crackers, just to make sure that the recipes worked, and they were incredibly good and embarrassingly easy. T
Gloria
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As others have said, this is a book you can just read and enjoy. You almost feel that Greenspan is just talking to you and trying to make sure you can replicate her recipes. Each recipe is given with a bit of background, mostly main-stream ingredients, and advice on timing, storage, breaks in between preparation, cooking and serving. Greenspan also provides a lot of tips on how to recognize what mixtures should look like when stirred, beaten, heated, baked enough. This is very valuable to the so ...more
Amber
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan
Checked this out from the library. I like the color photos, and the side bits in each recipe that talk about prep time tips, storage/shelf/fridge-life, and other variations you can take on the recipes. I found this less intimidating than Julia Child's book- not a single recipe here required taking a needle to anything to sew it up, and most of the ingredients were easy to procure, even stateside. The recipes seem both authentic achievable for your average home cook.
False
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The diametric opposite of what I just read (Pioneer Woman Cooks.) Some of the recipes are more completely (worthy of the "French,") but many are wholesome, simple French bistro fare. Ina Garten is quoted on the cover as saying, "I'll be working my way through every easy, delicious recipe." I agree. This is the type of cookbook you want to buy and keep as an active reference tool. A workable book. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes myself.
Christine (AR)
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Possibly the most beautiful cookbook I own. Beautifully illustrated, and even if I didn't want to try any of the recipes I'd probably love it for Greenspan's stories about each dish and her experiences as an American in Paris.

I give it four stars because this isn't just a destination cookbook -- these recipes seem completely doable. I've tried three so far, one of which is now my go-to roast chicken recipe, so I have high hopes. This would make a gorgeous gift for the foodie in your life.
Diane Zwang
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I have joined French Fridays with Dorie which is a cooking blog group that is going through the recipes in Around My French Table. I am late to the party as this group has been in place since 2010 but I am going to give the recipes picked for April a try. I have continued cooking with this group and I am enjoying the recipes. My husband seems to like what I cook for dinner as he bought the cookbook for me to keep going.
Steven Peterson
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a delightful cookbook! Does a nice job giving entree to French cuisine. Many recipes are pretty straightforward and doable. There are nice bon bons, such as a discussion of truffles. Recipes are interesting. For instance, "Hurry up and wait chicken." This is on my "to do" list for cooking! The recipe shows how you can make sure that you get a juicy--and not dry chicken breast--after heavy duty roasting.

Anyhow, a nice addition to my kitchen library.
Lindi
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I had to return this to the library because of the numerous reserves on it, but what a lovely book! Greenspan is a charming guide to French home cooking and there were several recipes I wanted to try. I did make the cover dish which was quite successful although I will choose other vegetable when I make it again -- which I will do. These are the kinds of recipes that one will make again and that one will adapt to suit one's own tastes, with Greenspan's blessing.
Ken Thompson
I heard about this on NPR when it was published; Dorie had worked at NPR I believe, so on successive weekends they had a correspondent working with Dorie in her kitchen on recipes from the book, with Dorie telling stories of where she came across the recipes, anecdotes of times she'd made it or served it - it just sounded fascinating. Love the stories she tells, but I've only made one thing from it so far - it was not successful.
Susan
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-wine
Loved the stories behind the recipes and the glimpses of life in France. Many of the recipes are fairly involved, though there are options given for faster prep or alternate ingredients. I only had time to try a couple, but they turned out well and I'll make them again. And I plan to revisit the dessert section!
Christopher Bergeron
Wow. I picked this one up for the library and have tried a few things from it. Reading the book from cover to cover I quickly added it to my personal Amazon.com wish list because wow, this is a great cookbook filled with homey French cooking that is easy and accessible. I can't wait to make more!
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury Of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
Called a culinary guru by the New York Times, Dorie Greenspan is the author of the James Beard Awardwinning Baking: From My Home to Yours, which inspired the creation of the online baking community Tuesdays with Dorie. She has been passionately involved with French food for the last three decades. With Pierre Herm, she wrote Desserts by Pierre Herm, winner of an IACP Cookbook of the Year Award, an ...more
More about Dorie Greenspan...