Start by marking “Pretense for Murder” as Want to Read:
Pretense for Murder

Pretense for Murder

2.8  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A dead girl, an empty phone booth where one shouldn’t be and a school full of suspects with too many unusual powers.
When student, Vallon Drake discovers the dead body of a girl and a British phone booth standing outside the American Geological Survey Preparatory Academy, she knows someone with special power committed the murder. Heck, her school exists to teach students wi
Published September 3rd 2011 by Twisted Root Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Pretense for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretense for Murder

Marcelle Dube
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This short story features the teenage Vallon Drake before she becomes an agent for the American Geological Survey. She’s at school (the AGS Prep Academy, of course) and is a handful for her principal and her guardian. She’s a young woman with extraordinary powers in a school full of extraordinary young people, none of whom she gets along with. And then she finds a body on the school grounds and she suddenly finds out that she didn’t know the meaning of the word “trouble”.

Vallon is a smart, indep
Jenn M
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Story was okay, but not the best I've ever read in this genre...young adult/teens with "powers" solving a murder committed on the grounds of the boarding school for the gifteds (with powers).

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is an underlying sexual theme attached to the use of the Gift (powers) that may not be appropriate for younger readers (certainly not my children until they are married!), but that is certainly only my opinion.

Story has potential to be a longer full-length series, wh
Cathy
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
Murder at a school for the gifted (read, with powers) run by the American Geological Society. Just why AGS would run such a school is never explained.
Vallon finds a dead body on the school grounds and senses that someone gifted did the deed. Since nobody else knows what she knows she decides to investigate for herself.
Not a bad story but I would have liked some more explanation about the AGS, the gifted students, how they were found and identified, etc.
The novella (I got free for Kindle) include
Alisa
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Not a bad young adult novel, though the prude in me wouldn't like my kids reading about the sexual implications of these "powers." I'm not sure if that's a Twilight-ish influence, or what, but I think the story would have been much better with that entire aspect removed. I think this has the potential to be a full length novel, but it worked as a short story as well.
Debbie
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Strange short story, a bit Harry Potterish.
Jamie Haddock
Oct 14, 2011
Don
Apr 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Karen L. Abrahamson is the author of numerous books and short stories, writing as Karen L. Abrahamson(Fantasy and Young Adult) and Karen L. McKee (Romance).

After a travelling youth that took me across North America too many times, I settled in Vancouver, Canada. But living at the edge of a continent tends to allow me to ‘fall off’ now and again and so I’ve spent much of my adult life still travell
More about Karen L. Abrahamson