Start by marking “Book of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Book of Dreams

Book of Dreams

"In the Book of Dreams I just continue the same story but in the dreams I had of the real-life characters I always write about."

Excerpt:

WALKING THROUGH SLUM SUBURBS of Mexico City I'm stopped by smiling threesome of cats who've disengaged themselves from the general fairly crowded evening street of brown lights, coke stands, tortillas—Unmistakably going to steal my bag—I s
Published May 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published December 15th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Dreams

Daniella
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hardcore Kerouac fans.
I have a confession to make: I didn't enjoy On the Road quite as much as everyone else seemed to enjoy On the Road. I'm not sure whether it's because people had forever been telling me how oh-my-god-amazing it is, and thus I went into it with really high expectations--too high, in fact--or if it's because I'm just not a fan of Kerouac's style. Either way, I'm sure it makes me a terrible person, but there it is.

So it begs the question why I didn't simply pass on by when I spotted Book of Dreams
Fred
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I connected a lot with this book. The way Kerouac's dreams unfolded, the images, the metaphors and the associations made a lot of sense to me. Just like On the Road and Dharma Bums - books that work on an emotional level.

Even though it lacks a regular/traditional structure and a discernible rhythm like that of On the Road, Book of Dreams can be considered, in a way, the most important expression of Kerouac's writing, in the sense of what he aimed to achieve: an exploration of the subconscious.
Nicolle
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING, after reading this book I decided to start my own dream journal and the results were a bit of fun, scary and profound!
Wonnie
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jackovy přízračný sny plný zlatavýho prachu, kterej se hemží jako můry. Někdy mám pocit, že Kerouac je lepší básník než Ginsberg.
Josh
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dulouz-legend
truthful entrails of the mind unraveled--dreams of making it with little girls even
Mat
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About 7-8 years ago i first picked up this book but didn't finish it because i was too distracted by study and finishing my Master's.

So, i decided to go back to page one and start it again. This books not only offers you a fascinating glimpse into one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century, but also showcases Kerouac's absolute and steadfast devotion to his calling as a writer. What amazed me was not only the detail he was able to recall from the dreams but also how he was able to cross-
Michael Webb
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
In general Kerouac is one of my favorite authors and I think his Duluoz Legend series is amongst my favorite prose / autobiographical series. As a result of Kerouac's fame, a lot of additional things were published that I consider much more tangential, and this Book of Dreams is a poster child for that.

The text is Burroughs-like in its direct stream of consciousness approach with some entries being a couple of sentences, while others span several pages. Like any dreamscape, you need to have a lo
Brendan
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a decent supplement to the Duluoz Legend, an alternate, shadowy romp through Kerouac's dream life, an odd parallel to the reality on which his fiction is based.
Brian Sollors
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard to explain. Beautifully written in a chaotic way. It flows in the only way Kerouac knows. It's lovely.
Sharayu Gangurde
Sep 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was so intrigued by the title of this book and for the fact that i've heard and read lot of reviews about On the road. Jack Kerouac belongs to the Beat generation which includes Allen Ginsburg's Howl.

So I picked up this book and began reading on the train journey back home. Somehow, books read during train journeys affect me a lot. However, this book really did affect my mind so much that I couldn't fathom or focus on the ideas written by Kerouac. His dreams are just way too different than us
Maria
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Had a chance to get up at 8.30 and slept till Noon instead, for fear of what to do with all that morning-"
Igor Holanda
Jun 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Não sei se foi a tradução, ou a própria essência do estilo de Kerouac, mas raramente eu desisto de um livro, e esse claramente não tinha nada pra dispor de interessante depois da pagina 80 (não que até aí tivesse sido bom).
Gostei de algumas partes, mas grande parte do tempo me sinto um intruso na vida de outra pessoa, que na boa, não é lá essas coisas... Um pervertido sem rumo, alucinando em breves momentos sobre coisas que me interessavam tão minimamente, que não fazia sentido boa parte do temp
Aaron
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
My impression of this book is similar to what I got out his letters. You capture an image of Kerouac—the one featured as a hero in his books—now in a sometimes ugly fashion. I enjoyed the letters, and (at times) the dreams, as 'honest' portraits of a man more 3-dimensional than he usually casts himself in his fiction. In the end, though, it just. dragged. on. I found myself leaving it on the bedside for months at a time--it's not as though it was a sequential narrative I had to track. The introd ...more
Tait
I'm not a huge fan of Kerouac, but I am a sucker for books of dreams, particularly from notable authors, as I'm interested in the ways that dreams are represented as a narrative form. So far, Kerouac's fast-paced, ungrammatical style lends itself well to the feeling and uncertainty of dream narratives, though it suffers from the same shortcoming as Cixous' "Dream I Tell You" in presenting material that is fairly everyday and doesn't capture the surreal and epic quality that I love about dream na ...more
Bogdan
Nov 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: new-world
Perhaps I have made a mistake reading this book before any other novel of the same writer. I didn't like it at all mainly because the dreams he is describing are often without a clear story line and so separate one from another and because I had no clue regarding some of the characters encountered in these dreams.
My copy of this book is in romanian.
Brett
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beat
Sometimes Kerouac can be so very good. Other times he can be like this.

You know how hearing about other people's dreams can often be tedious and boring? Imagine reading an entire book like that! That is exactly what we have here. Granted, these are Jack Kerouac's dreams, so they are more fun than, for instance, your co-worker's, but good lord does it become tiresome after a while.
Chris
Literally accounts of his dreams that he scribbled out upon waking. Definitely only for the major fan of his prose style, since it is not what he says, but rather how he says it, that makes this book worth reading at all.
Edward
Aug 29, 2007 added it
Himself at his best I'd say. Short, snappy, painfully pretty dreams recorded and brought back to life in a style meant for maybe just that purpose. Hard enough to catch that fish, but then he gets it to talk.
Chris Meger
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is fun just because it allows you to really settle into Jack's brain. Not always fun, often sad, but very, very comfortable.
Variaciones Enrojo
Aparentemente, única edición en castellano del Book of Dreams de Kerouac.
GK Stritch
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
For the Kerouac enthusiast, one wades through dreamy dream dreams, murky dreams, unfortunate dreams, dreams that reveal Jack's coeur, and then hits golden poetry prose.

Ed
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Good cover!
Erin
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Erin by: self
Some were interesting, some weren't, but the concept was great!
Michael
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book is boring and pretty stupid. Maybe if I was a Kerouac completest, but then I'd be boring and stupid.
Jack Everett
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jack-kerouac
Not my favourite of his. This is more an exercise in image writing than anything else.
Kecia
Jun 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: beatniks
I'm a fan of Kerouac...but this is simply torture to read. Rambling dreams with no plot or purpose. I'd rather he just told me these dreams over coffee.
Cherie
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, beats
A JK's dreams
Fatimée
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Was unable to follow up whith anything, anyhow, a really smoked book!
R.K. Byers
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
was probably far better to personal acquaintances and professional psychoanalysts.
Emma
Jack Kerouac's dream log spanning from 1952-1960, and they are filled with characters from several of his novels.

• Jack Kerouac: Angelheaded Hipster
  • Collected Letters, 1944-1967
  • Subterranean Kerouac: The Hidden Life of Jack Kerouac
  • The Innocent Libertine
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
Jack Kerouac was born Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac on March 12, 1922, in Lowell, Massachusetts. Jack Kerouac's writing career began in the 1940s, but didn't meet with commercial success until 1957, when On the Road was published. The book became an American classic that defined the Beat Generation. Kerouac died on October 21, 1969, from an abdominal hemorrhage, at age 47.