Start by marking “The Letters of Robert Lowell” as Want to Read:
The Letters of Robert Lowell

The Letters of Robert Lowell

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
One of the most influential poets of the twentieth century, Robert Lowell was also a prolific letter writer who corresponded with many of the remarkable writers and thinkers of his day, including Elizabeth Bishop, Ezra Pound, Hannah Arendt, William Carlos Williams, T. S. Eliot, Robert Frost, and Edmund Wilson. These letters, conversations in writing, document the evolution ...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Letters of Robert Lowell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letters of Robert Lowell

Susanna-Cole King
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Last year, wandering unprepared overseas, I ran out of literary reads and began to scour the cities I was in - at this time, Barcelona, Spain - for a book to buy. Luckily, I found La Central, who had by far the best selection of books in foreign tongues, with literary taste head and shoulders above all other bookstores I had been to elsewhere in the city, and in neighboring countries, who only seemed to shelve (pardon me) poorly written, cheap reads, like the Twilight series.

At home in the stat
Jimmy
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
The letters of a brilliant poet and a deeply troubled man make for endlessly interesting exploration, but always tinged with sadness.
Kayla
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book took me almost three months to finish and that is unusual for me. Robert Lowell was a New England blue blood who wrote tight poetry and loved women intellectuals. He also struggled with manic depression. His letters represent all that and much more. His mind grappled with not only the vicissitudes of his illness and the effect that had on those he loved but on politics, metaphysics, and mortality. Here is a snippet:

--By the way the opening poems of Dolphin were written on a very bad ty
The American Conservative
'This book will interest many readers. Lowell devotees will find details of his life and tastes unavailable elsewhere. Students of 20th-century literature will value Lowell’s observations about his contemporaries. Poets can trace Lowell’s artistic development and see how he wrestled with his craft.

Ideologues of the Left or Right won’t find much to like here, however. Though Lowell cared about politics, he cared infinitely more about his art. Warfare and other worldly events were his muses, not h
Kelley
Robert....crazy man. Good letters.
Kate Levin
Aug 09, 2007 rated it liked it
I don't remember why I bought this. I think I was interested in his relationship with Elizabeth Bishop.
Dave
Jul 11, 2008 rated it liked it
These letters reveal how complicated and exhausting Lowell's life was, and I got tired just reading them. I can't imagine what he and his loved ones endured.
Kerry Murphy
Jun 06, 2013
Travis
Jan 16, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Lowell, born Robert Traill Spence Lowell, IV, was an American poet whose works, confessional in nature, engaged with the questions of history and probed the dark recesses of the self. He is generally considered to be among the greatest American poets of the twentieth century.

His first and second books, Land of Unlikeness (1944) and Lord Weary's Castle (for which he received a Pulitzer Prize
More about Robert Lowell

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99