Start by marking “The Rumor” as Want to Read:
The Rumor

The Rumor

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Word travels quickly through a peaceful village when a hungry beast is spotted in the hills. Some say he has ears that can hear a potential meal from a mile away! Others declare that his stink is enough to kill you with just one whiff! Still others report that his snout is stronger than a vacuum cleaner! The threat compels friends to warn one another and in humorous fashio ...more
Published August 24th 2011 by Creative Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Rumor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rumor

Kendra
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Quite clever. Admittedly, I was very confused with the pictures of the animal delivering the warning demonstrating what the wolf might do to the animal being warned. The ending of the book makes the pictures clearer. The idea is that none of the animals know what a wolf is, just what it might do to them. I love this idea since kids don't know what a lot of stuff is, and are constantly struggling to figure things based on descriptions, common sense, and what we tell them. How do you know what a w ...more
Marybeth
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Rupert the rabbit spreads the notion that a dangerous wolf is looming in the woods. He tells Cleo the Cat who then tells Edgar the Elephant, and on and on. Each animal adds a new and dangerous quality to the wolf, until Wallace the wolf himself is scared away. The animals are invited to Wallace's home where they can hide from the terror and they all share a bowl of soup!

I had high hopes for this picture book to introduce older students to the notion of propaganda, because the cover art is a coll
Randy
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2012
From an initial report in the local news, a story spreads through a small village. As each character passes the story on it grows and grows. What started innocently ends up being exaggerated to the point of being ridiculous.

I picked this up because I could easily use this in a writing lesson.

I finished it because it was easy to read and the illustrations were enjoyable.

I would recommend this to Laura, so she could share it with her son.
Jessica
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Clever, but in such a subtle way I'm not sure it's target audience will catch it. A fun read and a twist on the "sky is falling" standard, with pretty pictures. Just don't be off-put by the stark, give-nothing-away, newspaper clipping covers.
Alice
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
I am not sure I get this book. The newspaper cover is clever, but won't be attractive to children. Also, am I wrong, doesn't the wolf come to dinner and they were too distracted to notice? Is that why this story is fun??? Guess I just don't get it!!!
Michelle
I would love to use this book for a elementary school story time. The humor is great, but too subtle for younger kids.
Tam
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the typical book of someone who hears something, tells someone else who then tells someone else and each person heard a different story.
Beth Wood
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book would be a great way to discuss what rumors are, and how they are started. Definitely for younger elementary-aged kids. The surprise ending made me grin, and would be great for discussing.
Debby Baumgartner
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rumors
Rabbit passes on the rumor there is a wolf in the hills and the fear increases as the description increases of this threatening wolf.
Lisa
Jan 13, 2012
Christen
Dec 21, 2012
Hannah Jane
rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2012