Start by marking “A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)

A Witch Before Dying

(A Wishcraft Mystery #2)

Darcy Merriweather is Salem's newest resident Wishcrafter--a witch who can grant wishes for others. While Darcy isn't able to grant wishes for herself, she does possess a certain knack for solving problems--including the occasional murder...

When Darcy is hired by Elodie Keaton to clean up her missing mother's disorderly home, the Wishcrafter is certainly up for the task.
Published August 7th 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Witch Before Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Witch Before Dying

Start your review of A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
The Good: I absolutely love this series. The books are light, fun and utterly magical. The mystery was really interesting - a missing hoarder, found dead under a pile of her junk. presumably killed for a magical amulet. With the world building out of the way, this book focused a lot more on the people and I really loved seeing a more in depth look at the town, its residents and their abilities. Darcy is a very likable character, who you naturally root for. Unlike too many other cozy mysteries ...more
Amanda
For some reason, I had a hard time really liking the second book in this series. I had moments, where I could have just put it down, and walk away from it. For some reason, Darcy really bugged me in this one. The over bearing and constantly trying to control her sister and Aunt Ve, got very tiring for me. Archie and Pepe, really made me want to finish the book. They both made me laugh during their parts and became, my favorite characters in this series. I am going to keep reading the series. I ...more
Meg
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really good one; however, the author had the unfortunate tendency to be repetitious. This would pull me out of the story just as I was zooming along. I'm definitely up for the next one in the series, though.
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. There is something about reading about witches and crafters in October that just makes everything that much better. There are a lot of characters to keep track of in this book, but I think the author did a great job giving us visual hints. The story was a tad choppy, but I liked the writing and the story telling. I want to learn more about the different "crafts" and see more of that spooky elder! I really like Darcy and V, even though her sister is still a mystery to ...more
Mason
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Living in an enchanted village may sound a bit strange, but for Darcy Merriweather it’s beginning to feel normal - or as normal as can be for a wish crafter.

Darcy and her sister, Harper, live with their Aunt Velma in the magic-themed town of Enchanted Village. This is a place were witches live and practice their craft without mortals realizing it. Darcy helps out with her aunt’s business, As You Wish, a personal concierge service.

Elodie Keaton’s mother has been missing for over a year. When
Amanda The Book Slayer
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this one. I thought there were many more twists and turns which made it all very exciting.
Barbara
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the second book in this series. The characters you met in the first book are more developed, and new characters come to the fore. I had a hard time keeping track of all of the characters and their relationships to others within the story, but as the series goes on that will iron itself out.
There are several mysteries going on in the second edition, which keeps the reader on her toes. I love the familiars; Pepe and Archie, they add to the additional quirkiness of the storyline.
All
bella
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather is adjusting to her new life as a wishcrafter and working for her Aunt Ve at As You Wish. When Elodie Keaton hires Darcy to help her clean out her long-gone mother's cluttered house, Darcy just thinks that she has hard work ahead of her. After all Elodie's mother, Patrice, was a hoarder before she disappeared eighteen months ago. What Darcy doesn't expect to find is a dead body. When Elodie approaches Darcy to help her find Patrice's murderer, so her mother can ...more
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Darcy Merriweather is a wishcrafter who can grant wishes for anyone but herself. She works for her Aunt Ve's personal concierge service, As You Wish.

Aunt Ve is feeling a bit under the weather plus she is trying to plan her wedding. Darcy is trying to help her but she also takes on Elodie Keaton as a new client.

Elodie's mother has been missing for so long Elodie realizes that she can no longer afford to pay all the bills and keep her mother's house. Her mother was a bit of a hoarder and Elodie
Mirjam
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first book in this series was mesmerizing, so I was keeping my fingers crossed that this one would be just as much fun. I'm glad to say that it is! Blake's enchanting characters continue to delight me and I am not exaggerating when I tell you that they have made my list of treasured characters. All of them, but the adorable and entertaining familiars, Pepe and Archie in particular. They have a great flair for the dramatic and always make me smile. Their dialogues are highly entertaining and ...more
April
Well, that was certainly the most rapid fire recap of events and exposition from the first book. Seriously, did we need to get all that information again? It was way more repetitive than I like, but thankfully it was only the beginning of the book.

I liked this book much better than the first, mostly because the first book spent more time setting up the world and how things work there. Now that we have all that established, we can get into some serious cozy mystery solving. This mystery also
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was fun to read and had a couple of mysteries inside, including a good murder mystery. I did not recognize the killer until the reveal and that doesn't happen too often any longer. Meanwhile, we the readers are kept busy with a 'Creeper Peeper' that honestly had me flummoxed, a wedding that just doesn't seem to be on 'track,' a romance that you root for and more.

Ms. Blake knows how to deliver a cozy location, the Enchanted Village neighborhood of Salem, Ma. Cozy? Oh yes, I can just see
April Wood
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
"When there's a witch, there's a way..."

Darcy, a witch with the power of granting wishes, is hired by Elodie Keaton to clean up her missing mother's home. What Darcy wasn't expecting to find was the body of Elodie's dead mother, under a pile of rubbish. Fortunately for Elodie, Darcy does possess a certain ability to solve problems, and now murders.

Darcy's investigation leads her to Elodie's charm-crafter boyfriend. Was the murder a crime of passion? Or was her murder a result of a wish-granting
BLynne
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I completely enjoyed this book and the characters. I liked the twists that were in the story line and find that I like the main character, Darcy. I find her to be a fun and complex character. The Wishcraft Mystery series is turning out to be a favorite.
Lacey
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cozy mystery readers
Recommended to Lacey by: Found through Goodreads, not sure where though. Giveaways maybe
Cozy-mysteries are a the best type of book to break up the day at work. And Heather Blake came through with lots of twists and turns. From the wedding planning to the murder and all the activities in between. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Betsy
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book in this series. Love the characters, the plot, and the writing style. Looking forward to #3.
Bethany
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am happy to say that I enjoyed this one as much as the first. I gave it fewer stars because there was WAY too much explaining and repeating things that happened in the first book. It interrupted the dialogue and flow of the story when she would spend several paragraphs explaining something that happened in the first book. I am hoping the next book in the series doesn’t do this.

Again, the writing isn’t perfect, but for an easy, light read with humor, mystery, and a bit of clean romance, this
Eden
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
2020 bk 6. The writing is not the sophisticated quality of the golden age, but the plotting, the characters, and the ability to keep me enchanted in her books is a secret all of Heather Blake's own. This is two out of two for which I did not figure out "who done it". If you want a light-hearted mystery, a contemporary setting, contemporary issues (hoarding, missing people). give Heather Blake a try.
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, romance
Slight the perfect light, fluffy cozy book snack. I enjoyed this installment even better than the first because I found the characters' personal stories to be more compelling. I'm also excited that the author foreshadowed more magic-ey things to come.
Melanie
Really cute and fun - I love the different witchcraft specialties and the mystery was interesting and kept you guessing. It also sets you up well for the next installment without making you feel like it ends on a cliffhanger, which I love.
Kelly
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very well written mystery with a lot of humor thrown in. There is so much going on in this one. Darcy is kept quite busy trying to find a killer, a wedding saboteur, and a very powerful amulet.
~~~Sue~~~ O.
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute and whimsical little read. I enjoy it, murder and all ...more
quinnster
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun, fun, fun! I really enjoy these characters - which is highly unusual for me - and the mystery is compelling enough to keep me interested.
Amy lifewiththe_williams
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another super cute mystery! I love Darcy! Starting #3 tomorrow!
Doris
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delving further into the adventures of Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather, she once again discovers a body and tumbles into investigating who done what and when. However, Heather Blake also mixes in a stalker and a saboteur, leaving the reader to wonder what will happen next and, essentially, whodunit on many levels.
For the returning reader, they get involved more with the recurring characters and become more familiar with the village - for newcomers, don't fret, this story stands well on its own.
Ariel
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Darcy and her Aunt Ve run a personal concierge service called "As You Wish". Darcy is hired to clean out a hoarder's house by the daughter, Elodie. Elodie has tried to care for the house ever since her mother disappeared 18 months ago, but it is time to clean out the hoards of stuff and try to move on. Darcy manages to uncover the mother's body in the piles of stuff, and she was definitely murdered. As if that weren't bad enough, Darcy's house is being watched by somebody in the woods, and even ...more
Carolynn
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, this book is even better than the first. I must admit, I'm strongly in the murder mystery camp and the witchy-and-other-paranormal-camp, so this series, and in particular, this story, really hit the spot. All the characters seem to be getting more rounded and more realistic, and the storyline is more involved, putting this story on the level of some regular novels. I just wish this would give Ms. Blake carte blanche into the regular novel market, but there are a number who are turned off ...more
Angela Holland
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Why I Read This Book: I wanted to continue on with this series and I read it with a friend

What I liked: I liked the cutiesness of this book and the way it made you think about how to solve the mystery.

What I didn't Liked: I know I say this a lot but since I enjoyed this book there was not much I did not like about the book. I guess if anything you can say I don't like how you know parts of the story would never happen in real life but that is why it is a fun cozy fiction book. One thing I do
Elliot A
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Books in a series are always challenging to review for me, because I feel I should rate and review them independently and outside the context of the series.

I was profusely torn between a 4- and 5-star rating, since I fell under the curse of raised expectations. However, other than the misfortune of following such a great first book, I could see no reason for not giving it 5 stars.

The author's talent and skill of including minute details in the intricate art of storytelling made reading this
Book of Secrets°ღ
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A WITCH BEFORE DYING is the second book in Heather Blake’s Wishcraft Mystery series which is set in a magical neighborhood of Salem, Massachusetts. Ms. Blake’s “witchy” cozy mysteries are a delight to read, and this one was no exception.

The mystery in this book was very good. It was complex with interwoven plot lines, and I was kept guessing until the very end. Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather has her hands full when she’s hired to clean out a missing hoarder’s house, and she finds the dead body
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Witch Before Dying 1 3 Sep 01, 2012 01:37PM

• Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Undeniably Yours  (Lucy Valentine, #5)
  • Magic and Macaroons (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • In a Witch's Wardrobe (A Witchcraft Mystery, #4)
  • A Vision in Velvet (A Witchcraft Mystery, #6)
  • Tarnished and Torn (A Witchcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Spells and Scones (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)
  • A Toxic Trousseau (A Witchcraft Mystery, #8)
Also writes as Heather Webber

Heather Blake grew up in a suburb of Boston, and enjoys going “home” in her novels. As a young mother, she tried her hand at writing novels and hasn’t looked back. Currently, Heather lives in the Cincinnati area, and is currently hard at work on her next novel.

15 Things You May Not Know About Me
1) I am completely, hopelessly addicted to Dr Pepper.
2) Three of my

A Wishcraft Mystery (9 books)
  • It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #6)
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery #7)
  • To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)
  • A Witch to Remember (A Wishcraft Mystery, #9)
“Oh, the usual reasons,” Godfrey said. “It was clear she was in love with Sylar, even back then. She was always stealing my supplies for her hobbies, of which she had many. And she tried to burn down my house.” I” 0 likes
“His suit was impeccably pressed. His hair was combed neatly to the side and slicked back with gel. His belt matched his shoes, and I would bet my life’s savings that his socks matched his shoe color as well. He probably ate a high fiber cereal for breakfast. He was just that kind of guy.” 0 likes