Start by marking “Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates” as Want to Read:
Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates

Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates

This guide to critical reading and self-critical writing is a must-have resource for postgraduate students and early-career academics. It is packed with tools for analyzing texts and structuring critical reviews, and incorporating exercises and examples drawn from the social sciences.
Published May 9th 2006 by Sage Publications Ltd (first published April 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates

Start your review of Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates
Mariam
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a first year PhD student, the idea of the literature review was pretty daunting to me personally. I had trouble creating a framework in my mind to guide me through reading/writing. This book was a life-saver. The examples are very practical, it honestly took a lot of stress off my mind. I will begin using the guides suggested in my writings. Highly recommended, and a big thank you to the authors.
Tara Brabazon
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very strong presentation of advanced study skills. I'm always wary about such books, particularly when the phrase 'critical reading' is deployed. But there is a strong series of definitions and - most importantly - a considered series of relationships is configured between reading and writing.

Strong scaffolding in place to enable reading for research purposes.
Jeff
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this text for a post-graduate course. As someone with a degree in writing, the book was only moderately helpful, though I can imagine that it would be helpful for those with less background in writing. There is a worksheet the guide the critical analysis of a work that I have found repeatedly helpful. As I move forward with my post-graduate education, I envision using it again and again.
Mat Davies
This book is broken into three areas that introduce the readers to critically reading and writing and then offers the chance to put it into practice. It is an academic book and therefore targeted at those delivering oral presentations or writing for journals, however there is a strong emphasis on dissertations and in general, how to conduct an effective literature review.

I thought that the frameworks presented in the book were clear and helpful and supported by a website which offered the reade
Ayat Saleh
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: others
Writing a positive review for this book is the minimum gratitude that we can do for its authors. An excellent and very informative book for any postgraduate student. The book starts by teaching you how to be a critical reader and a self-critical writer. It is a dual-task where you learn how to apply different critical reading skills when evaluating others’ publications, as well as how to critically evaluating your writings to make sure that you have developed a well-balanced argument. The book a ...more
CM
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a helpful guide but it's a bit more on reading and planning than writing.
Natalie
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cientifico, english
It is fascinating, but it was not exactly what I needed right now. I think it is handy if you have not many experiences with critical reading and writing, but it is not very easy to read.
Hodgeheg
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic-stuff
A really well organised and simple to follow guide on postgraduate writing. There is a large focus on critical reviews and dissertations, I would have liked a bit more on the skills of essay writing - but I expect there is not so much of that at this level.
It also has the added bonus of additional content online, including templates of the forms that it refers to and uses in the book.
Catherine Reid
Zanetta Robinson
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Literature Review: A Step-By-Step Guide for Students
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • A Peacock in the Land of Penguins: A Tale of Diversity and Discovery
  • How To Go Vegan: The why, the how, and everything you need to make going vegan easy
  • BOSH!: The Cookbook: Simple Recipes. Amazing Food. All Plants.
  • Gok Cooks Chinese
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3)
  • Utopia Avenue
  • Accursed Tower: The Fall of Acre and the End of the Crusades
  • Left Out: The Inside Story of Labour Under Corbyn
  • Soccermatics: Mathematical Adventures in the Beautiful Game
  • V2: A Novel of World War II
  • What Happened
  • Islamic Empires: Fifteen Cities that Define a Civilization
  • The Meaning of Cricket
  • Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)
  • The Joy of Missing Out: Live More by Doing Less
  • EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE: How To Live In The Present Moment, 2.0 - Let Go Of The Past & Stop Worrying About The Future

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Myron Leon "Mike" Wallace was an American journalist. Wallace was a correspondent for CBS's 60 Minutes since its debut in 1968. During his career at 60 Minutes, he interviewed a wide range of prominent newsmakers, including Deng Xiaoping, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, Ayatollah Khomeini, Kurt Waldheim, Yasser Arafat, Menachem Begin, Anwar Sadat, Manuel Noriega, Jeffrey Wigand, John F. Nash, Vladimir ...more

News & Interviews