Start by marking “Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates” as Want to Read:
Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates

Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates

This guide to critical reading and self-critical writing is a must-have resource for postgraduate students and early-career academics. It is packed with tools for analyzing texts and structuring critical reviews, and incorporating exercises and examples drawn from the social sciences.
Published May 9th 2006 by Sage Publications Ltd (first published April 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Reading and Writing for Postgraduates

Mariam
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a first year PhD student, the idea of the literature review was pretty daunting to me personally. I had trouble creating a framework in my mind to guide me through reading/writing. This book was a life-saver. The examples are very practical, it honestly took a lot of stress off my mind. I will begin using the guides suggested in my writings. Highly recommended, and a big thank you to the authors.
Jeff
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this text for a post-graduate course. As someone with a degree in writing, the book was only moderately helpful, though I can imagine that it would be helpful for those with less background in writing. There is a worksheet the guide the critical analysis of a work that I have found repeatedly helpful. As I move forward with my post-graduate education, I envision using it again and again.
Ayat Saleh
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: others
Writing a positive review for this book is the minimum gratitude that we can do for its authors. An excellent and very informative book for any postgraduate student. The book starts by teaching you how to be a critical reader and a self-critical writer. It is a dual-task where you learn how to apply different critical reading skills when evaluating others’ publications, as well as how to critically evaluating your writings to make sure that you have developed a well-balanced argument. The book a ...more
CM
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a helpful guide but it's a bit more on reading and planning than writing.
Hodgeheg
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic-stuff
A really well organised and simple to follow guide on postgraduate writing. There is a large focus on critical reviews and dissertations, I would have liked a bit more on the skills of essay writing - but I expect there is not so much of that at this level.
It also has the added bonus of additional content online, including templates of the forms that it refers to and uses in the book.
Catherine Reid
Danielle
Dec 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Myron Leon "Mike" Wallace was an American journalist. Wallace was a correspondent for CBS's 60 Minutes since its debut in 1968. During his career at 60 Minutes, he interviewed a wide range of prominent newsmakers, including Deng Xiaoping, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, Ayatollah Khomeini, Kurt Waldheim, Yasser Arafat, Menachem Begin, Anwar Sadat, Manuel Noriega, Jeffrey Wigand, John F. Nash, Vladimir ...more